Disagree with Your Disability Decision? We Will Take Another Look

July 29, 2021 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: July 29, 2021

Disagree with Your Disability Decision? We Will Take Another LookSocial Security is here to help millions of people secure today and tomorrow by providing benefits and financial protection. We continue to protect the integrity of our disability programs by ensuring we make the correct decision on each claim. However, if you disagree with our decision on your claim, you can ask us to review your case by filing an appeal.

How can I appeal Social Security’s decision on my claim?

Generally, there are four appeal levels. If you are not satisfied with the decision at one level, you may appeal to the next. The appeal levels are:

  1. Reconsideration: A reconsideration is a complete review of your claim by someone who did not take part in the first decision. We will look at all the evidence submitted in the original determination, and any new evidence.
  2. Hearing: If you disagree with the decision we made at the reconsideration level, you may ask for a hearing. An administrative law judge, who had no part in the original decision or the reconsideration of your case, conducts the hearing.
  3. Appeals Council Review: If you disagree with the hearing decision, you can request a review by Social Security’s Appeals Council. The Appeals Council looks at all requests for review and can either make a decision on your case or return your case to the judge for further review.
  4. Federal Court Review: If you disagree with the Appeals Council’s decision or if the Appeals Council decides not to review your case, you can file a lawsuit in a federal district court as the last level in the appeals process.

Please visit our Appeal A Decision web page for more information.

When should I file my appeal?

If we denied your claim, you have 60 days from the date of the notice to file an appeal. The easiest and quickest way is to file your appeal request online, where you can submit associated documents electronically. You can also call your local Social Security office or 1-800-772-1213 to obtain the forms.

Do I need a representative to file an appeal?

Whether you choose to appoint an attorney or authorized representative is completely up to you. You may choose to have someone help you with your appeal or represent you. Your representative may be a lawyer or other qualified person familiar with you and the Social Security program. We will work with your representative just as we would work with you. They can act for you in most Social Security matters, and they will receive a copy of any decisions we make about your claim.

If you need us to review your case, please go online or call 1-800-772-1213.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Dawn Bystry, Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications

Deputy Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications


  1. Graeme S.

    it is not uncommon for the process of drafting a disability to be significantly delayed, necessitating the search for competent lawyers capable of completing such a registration promptly and without difficulty. mammoth lakes ski rental

  2. Michelle

    I got embarrassed over and over again. Not to mention neglected and discriminated against by my own lawyer (lobbyist), my healthcare and the SSA. I dont know why everyone is so mean and degrading. I have viable disabilities and 2 drs back that up and I just got more testing that says moderate to severe in my neck and back. My roommate thinks hes my guardian and because I lost my cool with everyone about my case that discriminated against me I think hes working against me with my providers and SSA , no way he should have any pull in my disability outcome and we do deserve a fair chance without prejudices. And if someone is trying to keep me from getting it I have the right to know and prove my case and not be ignored and discriminated against.

    • Patty

      Hi Michelle. We are sorry to hear about your experience. If you believe that any Social Security employee or representative took an action that discriminated against you on the basis of race, religion, disability, language proficiency, age, sexual orientation, and gender identity, you may file a complaint. You can download the complaint form which includes instructions on how and where to file the form by mail, fax, or email. If you need assistance filing your complaint, you may call us at 866-574-0374.

      You also have the option to submit feedback by visiting our Contact Social Security page. Once there, select the “Email Us” link. This will take you to the “email a Question to our Support Team” form where you can complete and submit a compliment, complaint, or suggestion. We hope this helps.

  3. kristen

    Always thankful to you.


  4. Gaven R.

    In fact, very often it happens that the process of drawing up a disability is greatly delayed, and it is necessary to look for good lawyers capable of quickly and without problems making such a registration. I already know who I can rely on and who will not cheat. But I had to look long enough, and by the way, if you are interested you can read the information about one of these companies here https://www.myler-disability.reviews/ . I think it will be useful to everyone. Good luck.

  5. Lisa E.

    I applied for SSI disability. I was denied and then I appealed it. Now they want me to see a doctor for mental health issues. But my main reason for SSI is because of my neck pain and chronic low back problems and I have chronic fatigue syndrome. I have had 2 low back surgeries. My spine surgeon wrote a letter to SSA. In the letter he says what is wrong and says I can no longer work. Due to my spine and back pain. I don’t know what to do because I cant see any other doctors because of my really bad anxiety disorder and major depression. Is there a place online that I can change my disability claim. I need to know ASAP.

  6. Emma

    Recently, promotion through social networks has been gaining frenzied popularity. People spend all day hanging out in social networks, and therefore they will learn the information posted on your pages instantly https://mediaonemarketing.com.sg/most-common-sem-mistakes-and-how-to-avoid-them/ . It is also a great way to communicate with potential customers.

  7. Edwin P.

    After four years of filing for disability, going to various Doctors to prove I was disabled, I was denied disability funds and to make matters worse the Attorney who kept filing for me went to Social Security to take a $7,000.00 dollars from my Social Security Funds I had to be deducted from my funds !!

  8. Brian D.

    The expert at my AHJ meeting said there was no work I could do gainfully. How can my request be denied? That is what that person is there for isn’t it. I’m tired of ssa waiting for people to die before they get there disability I know 3 people this has happened to. I worked from the time I was 15 until 2017 I paid taxes and Medicare and social security every job I worked. I meet all the requirements and rules ssa has to be determined disabled. I can’t help that I have not gotten the money to see the special doctors that I have went and seen for the procedures to make certain my diagnosis. That’s why I filed. I can’t wait another 3 or 4 years before I get something done. This is me letting you know that you are killing me and if I die I’m going to make sure someone sues the ssa for murder. Brian David Overton

  9. drali

    Thank you for your help.


  10. Mikey J.

    You shouldn’t need to take another look when your own professionals conclude cognitive impairment such as early-onset dementia in someone who has paid into SSD for many years and is fully insured by it. You shouldn’t suggest that such fully insured pay a lawyer out of their meager benefits, or that they be subjected to abuse and stress in a courtroom and by an administrative law judge.


Comments are closed.