General, Guest Bloggers

Direct Deposit: A Fast, Convenient, and Secure Way to Receive Your Benefit Payments

February 12, 2021 • By

couple reviewing direct deposit options on their laptopAt Social Security and Veterans Affairs, issuing timely benefit payments is a core service we both provide. After all, we know you want your benefits on time to cover your household or medical expenses. The most secure way to get your benefits is to receive them electronically. It’s faster, safer, and more convenient than a paper check.

More than 98 percent of individuals receive their monthly benefit payments electronically—either by direct deposit or on their Direct Express® Debit Mastercard®. They don’t have to wait for a check to arrive in the mail and go to a bank or other location to cash it. Instead, their monthly benefits are deposited into their bank account or debit card automatically on the payment date.

We encourage everyone to sign up for direct deposit or the Direct Express® Debit Mastercard®. You can learn more about direct deposit on Social Security’s Direct Deposit webpage. Please share this information with your friends and family—and also on social media.

Tags: , , , ,

Joanne R. Gasparini, Deputy Chief Financial Officer, Social Security Administration, and Charles S. Tapp II, Chief Financial Officer at the Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Benefits Administration

Comments

1. jacques vergon

Men: On 14th of February 2021 whisper in your wife ear or your girl friend ear:
    God bless you all.

2. Carlos Mendez

It’s good

• Gina Bucci

3. Charles F Andrews

I currently have direct deposit but my account number has charged. What must I do? Routing number is the same.

Hi, Charles. If you are receiving Social Security retirement or disability, you can create a personal my Social Security account to change your direct deposit online. If you are receiving Supplemental Security Income, you should contact your local office immediately. We hope this helps.

• Melissa J Williams

i need my account # and transit #

• Myrna Mae Welch

We have changed banks. We need to give you the needed information to do so.
      Let us know who to contact at Social Service.
      Myrna Welch
      raymyrna@icloud.com

• Vonda

Hi Myrna, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to sign up or change direct deposit. We hope this helps!

4. Michael Mason

The most secure way to get your benefits is to receive them electronically. It’s faster, safer, and more convenient than a paper check. It’s fast. You have same-day access to your money on the day of deposit. http://www.psglending.com

5. Robert Tekas

Hi, are you interested in the possibility of extra income? Try paid surveys and other online options.

6. Jeffrey Sabia

January 2016 I filed my SSA disability appeal.
    February 2018 I was notified by the Newport News, Va. office that my claim was found in the back of a filing cabinet that was being cleaned out! then I had a phone interview a week after that notification which was a total joke.
    Finially in March of 2020 to have a VTC hearing with ALJ which lasted all of 16 minutes and no jobs available for me.
    I am a 100% total and permanent disabled veteran been going through this now for 6 years and still nothing.
    I know I am owed a lot of money and I want to know when my claim will be finished? 6 years is a extreamly long time and it is a lot worse than the Veterans Administration……

• Vonda

We are sorry to hear about your experience, Jeffrey. Please call your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

• Giulio Gallo

I change Bank what I should do for the direct deposit

• Vonda

Hi Giolio, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to sign up or change direct deposit. We hope this helps!

7. Mary Vohn

If you can get your benefits through direct deposit via a bank account, you should go for that. The Direct Express card customer service can be very difficult to deal with as shown by many cardholders in the comments here – https://directexpresshelp.com/us-direct-express-customer-service/

8. Kaylun miller

I am on social security and I have not recived non of my stimulus payments?.. The tool to find my payment says its unavailable. I just need to know what I need to do to figure out why I have not received none of them thanks!

• Vonda

Hi Kaylun, thanks for using our blog. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS), not Social Security, issues the Economic Income Payments. Social Security cannot answer EIP questions about your specific situation. Check out our Social Security and Coronavirus web page for more details. We hope this helps.

9. faye pittman

what phone number do i call to transfer my direct deposit to a new bank.

Hi, Faye. If you are receiving Social Security retirement or disability, you can create a personal my Social Security account to change your direct deposit online. If you are receiving Supplemental Security Income, you should contact your local office immediately. We hope this helps.

10. Cheng-Hsien Lai

l haven’t received my social security benefits payment in February. I received my payment by direct electronic deposit to my bank account at HSBC Bank (Taiwan) Limited since August 2014, and typically I received the payment around the third of each month. Could you tell me the status of February payments ?
    Last name : Lai, First Name:Cheng-Hsien, Date of Birth:April 28, 1952, Birth place:Taiwan, Address:5F, No 15, Lane 230, Chung-Sing St.,Chung-Ho Dist.,

I reside in Taiwan. I don’t know why I haven’t received my social security benefits payment in February. Since 2014, typically I have received the payment around the third of each month by direct electronic deposit to my bank account in Taiwan.

• Vonda

Hi Cheng-Hsien, thanks for using our blog. We recommend that individuals living outside the United States contact the nearest Federal Benefit Unit in the area for any assistance related to Social Security programs and benefits. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad.