Health Care

Compassionate Allowances: Five Conditions Added to Fast Track

August 27, 2020 • By

Last Updated: August 27, 2020

Processing disability claims quickly and accurately is important to us.  It is through this commitment to you that we use the Compassionate Allowances program to help us identify and fast-track cases where people have medical conditions and diseases that are most likely to meet Social Security’s standards for disability benefits.

In August, we added five conditions — Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Tumors, GM1 Gangliosidosis – Infantile and Juvenile Forms, Nicolaides-Baraister Syndrome, Rubinstein-Tybai Syndrome, and Secondary Adenocarcinoma of the Brain — to this essential list.  Additions to the list allow us to ensure that anyone with qualifying disabilities can receive the benefits they need quickly.

“Social Security’s top priority is to serve the public, and we remain committed to improving the disability determination process for Americans,” said Commissioner Saul.  “Our Compassionate Allowances program gets us one step closer to reaching our goals by helping us accelerate the disability process for people who are likely to get approved for benefits due to the severity of their condition.”

The Compassionate Allowances program quickly identifies claims where the applicant’s condition or disease clearly meets our statutory standard for disability.  Due to the severe nature of many of these conditions, these claims are often allowed based on medical confirmation of the diagnosis alone.  To date, more than 600,000 people with severe disabilities have been approved through this accelerated, policy-compliant disability process.  Over the last decade, the list has grown to a total of 242 conditions, including certain cancers, adult brain disorders, and a number of rare disorders that affect children.

We incorporate leading technology to identify potential Compassionate Allowances and make quick decisions.  When a person applies for disability benefits, we must obtain medical records in order to make an accurate determination.  Our Health IT brings the speed and efficiency of electronic medical records to the disability determination process.  With electronic records transmission, we are able to quickly obtain a claimant’s medical information, review it, and make a determination faster than ever before.

Please share the Compassionate Allowances program with friends and family who may need these vital benefits.

See Comments

About the Author

Mike Korbey, Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Robert Houser

    My Dr. And state disability have deemed me unable to work. I am currently waiting on a hearing date. I’ve lost my home, my belongings. I have to live in my van. I have a 15 year old that I pay child support to but have been unableb to send a payment in months. I went from a great hard working Man to a deadbeat dad living on the streets! I have two(2) pentions I’m untitled to when I’m disabled. But I need SSI to determine I’m disabled before I can get to them! What am I supposed to do for money? I’ve paid into all programs for 30 years! There has to be other programs for me. I know I’m not the first. Please help

    • Vonda

      Hi Robert, thanks for using our blog. Some individuals may be eligible to receive additional assistance from the state where they live; while they wait for a final determination on their disability claim. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. You can also visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services web page for more information. We hope this information is helpful!

  2. Susan David

    I couldn’t discover any other manner to speak to him. My son has been receiving SSDI for an extended time. We these days had an problem and had to talk with SS. It was a completely lengthy and irritating process. SSA is in want of streamlining and simplfying of the regulations and processes.

  3. Laura William

    We lately had an trouble and had to speak with SS. It was a very lengthy and frustrating process. SSA is in want of streamlining and simplfying of the guidelines and processes.. The regulations appear so complex and confusing. Everyone we spoke to was not certain of what they have been telling us and all people told us something different. The applications SS makes use of needs some thing extra green and clean to use.

  4. Jan Rotolo

    This message is for the Commissioner. I couldn’t find any other way to communicate to him.
    My son has been receiving SSDI for a long time. We recently had an issue and had to communicate with SS. It was a very long and frustrating process. SSA is in need of streamlining and simplfying of the policies and processes.. The regulations seem so complicated and confusing. Everyone we spoke to was not sure of what they were telling us and everyone told us something different. The programs SS uses needs something more efficient and easy to use. It takes them 20 minutes just to make an appt. slowing down their productivity. Also, no compassion. They didn’t really care if my son had medical coverage or not. Could not get an expedited process.

    • Vonda VanTil, Public Affairs Specialist

      We are sorry to hear about your experience, Jan. You can submit feedback by visiting our Contact Social Security page. Once there, select the “Email Us” link. This will take you to the “Email A Question to our Support Team” form, where you can complete and submit a compliment, complaint, or suggestion. We hope this helps.

  5. gary wimberly

    My wife’s sister is legally blind and receives SSDI.Is she eligible for SSI also ?

    • Vonda VanTil, Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi Gary, thanks for using our blog. To get SSI, you must be disabled, blind, or at least 65 years old and have “limited” income and resources. Check out our Understanding SSI web page for details.

      If you have additional questions, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator . The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

  6. Linda J. Floyd

    I am an only child of a single parent and she is 82 and retired, I’m 60, I am on her checking acct as emergency person and she is on my savings acct as my emergency , my ssi has been cut off because my name is on all her important papers, we don’t live together, we both have separate households and after all these years of me being on ssi they cut me off because they counted my mom’s income as mine, I’m pretty sure I might be homeless within the next couple of months even tho the bank sent a letter stating it’s not my money, if anyone has an answer for me let me know

  7. Kimberley Hosmer

    I would say contact your Congressional Representatives. A Senator or Representative can help light a fire under Social Security and look into what was done in your case. They will need your permission in writing to access your case information. Good luck and I hope you are able to resolve this. Also, don’t be afraid to ask for help from Legal Aid.

  8. Karen

    Also, I don’t understand why you have to pay anyone anything? Your attorney should had made sure that you were not liable for medical care or medications.
    I went through 3 surgeries and a lot of physical therapy. Also divorced my husband, they paid for daycare when I needed it also paid for my education for a new job, mileage, including full time day care while I went to school for a job that I was not physically do!!
    If I wanted to fight for a chance to be trained in a different field of employment I would have won! I was just tired of all the headaches.
    For 9 months I didn’t get hired on in my new trade! I went back to the type of work I was doing, it was not so intense and I had other things I could do within the job. This way they could not come back on me seeking any type of money to be paid back. I was very careful and spoke to my 3 attorney ( who was Amazing, the other 2 were losers)
    Talk to your attorney and find out exactly why you have to pay anyone and get your money back!
    Good Luck ?
    ~ Karen
    I was paid monthly if bi monthly for my travel miles and if I had to go stay in a hotel just to receive medical care, it would have been reimbursed to me. I will pray that you get your money back!

  9. Lynn Morris-Powdrill

    I am a social security disability recipient at the time of my claim being approved. I was collecting workers compensation at this time and was told to report to social security when I no longer received these benefits. During the time of compensation I received personal injury money which was then given to workers compensation. This was 85% of MY personal injury money that was paid back to workers compensation. I was then left with basically nothing. I lost my vehicle at the time of the accident. Lost my home, divorced my husband of 28 years, paid for all my medications, and travel/hotel all for workers compensation visits to and from OK doctors chosen by workers comp. The money I received from this PERSONAL INJURY money was used to buy a vehicle that I lost as a result of the accident, and used to support the travel for Workers comp doctors… This includes my medications fuel, food, and hotel. So I was punished for being injured and had to pay for three attorneys on top of it. In reporting this to social security I sent a copy of my fees as well as a receipt of proceeds paid back to workers compensation with my PERSONAL INJURY MONEY. As a result I was then punished AGAIN by social security for paying back workers compensation? As a result of this they saw this as money given by workers compensation injury. They completely missed the fact that this was my own money and this INJURY money caused me to only receive $110.00 a month. I am not sure who the idiot was that misread this evidence but due to this idiot I am being punished twice. First being injured on the job and second for being permanently disabled by it. I wish someone would help me with this? Covid had made a mess if everyone’s life and I am no exception…but to top all of this off none of my claim was handled in person… It was all done with snail mail. Which has caused this to go on since June 2020. I never received a stimulus check either. I am so ashamed to be an American citizen right now. I paid into this system since I was 14 years of age. For my due diligence I am left homeless, without a car, single, and desperate for help. Instead of being honest and paying back the MONEY I was paid with workers compensation with my own money I have to pay back social security with my own MONEY as well. What kind of place do we live in when a disabled person has to pay back everyone? I was the one who lost EVERYTHING…. Not them. As a result I am penniless and being paid $110. 00 a month for my trouble?

    • Karen

      Do you mind if I can ask a question regarding your claim?
      During the time you were on workmen’s comp. Did you receive a monthly check? ( which I am sure you did). Did you also collect SSI? From my own experience I could only get my workmans comp and then your settlement, while during the time on workmans comp. you would have received free medical care As Well!! Social Security should have not ever been involved in your workmans comp case or settlement unless you received SSI.
      You should have been able to apply for SSDI after your case closed.
      That was your money to use as you pleased. I have been through workmans comp. With a 5 year case.
      I paid no taxes or Social Security from my settlement.
      I am so very sorry you were put through the wringer with all of this!
      If you didn’t receive anything from Social Security during your time on Workmans Comp.
      I think you should be able to Sue Social Security to get your Workmans Comp money back.
      Good Luck


      I recently lost my disability benefits because of work reported back in 2018 where I earned $1000./ month. The stopped my benefits back to 2018 and say I went over the allowed amount which I didn’t do.
      They say I owe as $50k so now they are taking my entire retirement money and I get $0.

  10. YAHOO

    Due to the severe nature of many of these conditions, these claims are often allowed based on medical confirmation of the diagnosis alone.

    • Estetik Gülüş Tasarımı

      Social Security’s top priority is to serve the public, and we remain committed to improving the disability determination process for Americans,” said Commissioner Saul. absoultyle.

Comments are closed.