Celebrating and Creating Independence with Social Security

July 2, 2020 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: July 19, 2021

On July 4, we celebrate our nation’s independence.  For nearly 85 years, our programs have helped provide financial independence.  We continue to make it easier for you to access our programs and benefits.  Today, applying online is a convenient way to apply for benefits.

You can go online to apply for:

  • Retirement or Spouse’s Benefits – You must be at least 61 years and 9 months in age and want your benefits to start in no more than four months. Apply online.
  • DisabilityApply for disability. You can use the online application to apply for disability benefits if you:
  1. Are age 18 or older.
  2. Are not currently receiving benefits on your own Social Security record.
  3. Are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death.
  4. Have not been denied disability benefits in the last 60 days. If your application was recently denied, our Internet Appeal application is a starting point to request a review of the determination we made.
  • Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Costs – Some people need assistance with the cost of medications. Apply for Extra Help.
  • Medicare – Medicare is federal health insurance for people 65 or older, some younger people with disabilities, and people with end-stage renal disease. If you are not already receiving benefits, you should apply online within three months of turning age 65.
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI) – SSI is a federal income program funded by general tax revenues, and it is designed to help aged, blind, and people with disabilities who have little or no income. You may be able to apply online if you meet certain requirements. See if you can apply online for SSI.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner


  1. Mr T.

    My received your department of ssa and ssi issued pay my benefits retirement pay on 07/15/2020 send overseas to my address Thailand

  2. Joanne R.

    I am an American born in West Virginia my husbands last name was Rodriguez he deceased 5 1/2 yrs ago why can’t I get signed on to make an account??

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Joanne, thanks for using our blog. We are sorry to hear that you are having difficulties creating a my Social Security account. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

  3. seleden
    enlightening and useful information. can be expanded a little more.
    thank you dear.

  4. Ruby B.

    Hello, I am Ruby , I applied for My Medicare card , six months before my 65. Birthday. I will be 66 years old in December. I responded to the Greenbelt office. Stood in line for about an hour before opening. Just to get inside to be told, that it was no need for me to come in person. Cards will be mailed out automatically at that age. Well, I never received it. No forms to be filled out. Yet I received nothing!!!!!!! Everyone telling me that’s how they received their. Need Help. Dob is xx/xx/xx. Thanks

    • Kenny O.

      Hi Ruby, check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to get a replacement Medicare card. We hope this helps!

      Just a reminder – We do not have access to personal information in this venue. Please be cautious about posting personal information on social media channels. Thanks.

  5. Jose G.

    Hi, I would like to know how to apply for Medicare, I will be 65 on January 2021.

    • Kenny O.

      Hi Jose, thank you for using our blog. Generally, individuals receiving Social Security benefits are automatically enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B. If you are at least 64 years and 9 months old and aren’t receiving Social Security benefits, you can apply for Medicare A and B online.

      If you already have Medicare Part A and need to sign up for Medicare Part B, there are some forms that you will need to complete and submit. See our Frequently Asked Questions web page for options on how to submit those forms.

  6. Michael O.

    Hello Madam/Sir,
    My Name is Michael Odei Asante I had Identity theft on my Social Security Number when I arrived in United States of America on 10/29/2011.I went to Social Security Department of Columbus Ohio to Proof that I am not Citizen yet.
    However I always receive Emails from Social Security Issues new number under my Social Security Number Account without Victim Notices. Every year and Month new number and I can send You some number that Social Security Administration send to my Email, I want and this Fruad of Identity theft to Stop.
    Michael Odei Asante
    P. Box 9630 Newark Delaware 19714.

  7. Delida

    Nice post! Thanks

  8. Delida

    Nice post! Thanks


  9. daniel r.

    Hi again my email. Is and my. Cell # is. 7873169315 bless.

  10. Daniel r.

    Hi Darlynda Thz for all your caring bless . IAM 68 of age and trying. To put a request in application. In SS to be a online member with SS IN THE WEB BUT OF NO AVAIL. IT DOSENT WANT TO RECOGNIZE MY TRUE POSTAL ADDRESS. I LIVE IN THE ISLAND OF PUERTO RICO. AM I FILLING OUT THE RIGHT APPLICATION.??? Can you send me the right application on my email to be a secured social S MEMBER .? Or is it that my postal address is to big? Any how I will right my postal address so you can se what I mean this is the address I recieved my yearly income statements. —- DANIEL. RESTO ADD IS – EGIDA NAVE ALEJANDRINA. 1060 calle margarita. Final. Apt 807 Trujillo alto. Puerto Rico 00976. Bless and hope to hear from you ,.keep safe…lov dan.

    • Kenny O.

      Hello Daniel, thank you for your question. At this time you must have a U. S. mailing address to create or access your online account. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet.

      Even though you are unable to create a my Social Security account, you may still file applications online. You can apply online for retirement benefits if you:
      •are at least 61 years and 9 months old;
      •are not currently receiving benefits on your own Social Security record;
      •have not already applied for retirement benefits; and
      •want your benefits to start no more than 4 months in the future. (We cannot process your application if you apply for benefits more than 4 months in advance.)

      For assistance, you can contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps!

      • Josefina E.

        Hi Kenny… I just happened to read this email and I noticed that you’re unaware that Puerto Rico is not a foreign country, but a territory of USA. Many people in P.R. have access to the MySSA website. This person needs to find out the correct address (format) from the nearest Post office and they will be able to show him the correct way to write his address in order to be recognized by the Postal Service. Thanks!

Comments are closed.