Choose a Representative Payee for Social Security to Consider Before You May Need One
Last Updated: August 19, 2021
The future can be uncertain. However, our Advance Designation program can help put you in control of your benefits if a time comes when you need a representative payee to help manage your money. Advance Designation enables you to identify up to three people, in priority order, whom you would like to serve as your potential representative payee.
We recently celebrated the one-year anniversary of our Advanced Designation program. Since its launch in March 2020, more than one million eligible individuals have opted to participate.
The following people may choose an Advance Designation:
- Adults and emancipated minors applying for benefits who do not have a representative payee.
- Adult and emancipated minor beneficiaries/recipients who do not have a representative payee.
We offer Advance Designation if you fall into one of the above categories and are capable of making your own decisions. You can submit your Advance Designation information when you:
- File a claim for benefits online.
- Use the application available in your personal my Social Security account.
- Call us by telephone at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).
In the event that you can no longer make your own decisions, you and your family will have peace of mind knowing you already chose someone you trust to manage your benefits.