COLA, Disability, General, Medicare, Online Services, Retirement

2015: The Year In Review

January 11, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 3 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

2015 was a special year for Social Security – we launched our very first blog, “Social Security Matters.” This blog has helped us cover the issues and concerns that are most important to our beneficiaries and their families. Thank you for reading our blog and joining the conversation about Social Security. We look forward to having more conversations with you in the upcoming year.

While we were partial to storytelling about the 80th Anniversary of the Social Security Act, we invite you to check out our top ten Social Security Blog Posts for 2015:

  1. Medicare Open Enrollment: Five Things You Need to Do

The Medicare open enrollment period ran from October 15 through December 7. This was the time to make changes to your current Medicare coverage for 2016. To get a jump-start on open enrollment season, we offered five helpful tips to make sure you were prepared to make a change on your Medicare coverage.

  1. Extra Services For Employers

Social Security helps employers too. Business Services Online (BSO) provides services for employers that make managing employee information quick, easy and secure. Once you register, you can interact directly with us through our online services to meet many of your needs.

  1. Disability Benefits: The Numbers Tell the Story

Social Security released two new online data resources based on disability benefits: the state disability fact sheet and a national disability issue paper. Both of these online resources show how Social Security continues to fulfill our promise of support to America’s workers and their families.

  1. myRA, U.S. Treasury’s New Retirement Savings Option

Are you looking for a simple, safe and affordable way to save for your retirement? The U.S. Treasury now offers a retirement savings account called myRA. This account is designed for people who don’t have access to a retirement savings plan through their job.

  1. Reporting Changes is Your Responsibility

If you receive benefits from Social Security, you have a legal obligation to report changes that can affect your eligibility for benefits. These changes must be reported no later than 10 days after the end of the month in which the change is occurred. You can find a full list of reporting responsibilities in the blog post.

  1. Replacing Your Medicare Card – Know Before You Go (Online)

Have you lost or damaged your Medicare card? You can order a replacement card easily with a my Social Security  account. All you need is internet access and your card will arrive in the mail in about 30 days.

  1. The Best Age for YOU to Retire

Retirement is a very exciting time in a person’s life. When to retire is a personal decision that you should base on your own personal factors, such as health, family, current cash needs and your future financial needs. You can retire as early as age 62 but the longer you wait, the more your benefit amount will be.

  1. Ex-Spouse Benefits and You

Finally, some good news about getting divorced. If you’re age 62, unmarried and divorced from someone entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits, you may be eligible to receive benefits based on your ex-spouse’s record.

  1. No Cost-of-Living Adjustment for 2016

This was disappointing news for our audience. The Consumer Price Index did not rise since the last cost-of-living adjustment in 2015. As a result, Social Security benefit amounts will stay the same in 2016.

  1. Two New Arrivals: Our New Blog and Top Ten Baby Names for 2014

May 8, 2015, was the launch of our blog with the top ten baby names of 2014. Since 1987, Social Security has released the most requested baby names based on requests for Social Security numbers for newborns. In 2014, “Noah” won for the males and “Emma” won for the girls.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications


  1. Warren J.

    I haven’t received my over840.00 social security this month because I lost my account Now Debit card and they sent a new one to my old address on Orchard Ave in Nampa,ID and it went back to the post office .I provided AccountNow with my identity and proof of my new address and had it faxed to them but they still haven’t given me a new card with my social security on it and I cant pay my bills ,sincerely Warren J Staelens 161712thAveRD.Unit 3 Nampa Idaho

  2. Thomas R.

    Is there anywhere in here where i can get help with dental care?

  3. . T.

    I was incarcerated at age 78 for 11 1/2 months, I’ve been on Social Security since I was 65 regular Social Security retirement that I paid into. I am now 79 years old been released . They cut my wife off of Social Security mine and why am I not entitled to reimbursement for the year and a half I lost while incarcerated

    • Ann C.

      Hi! We pay benefits under both the Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) programs. Both of these programs prohibit payments to most prisoners. For Social Security benefits, the law states that if a person commits a crime and a court convicts them, and they serve more than 30 continuous days in jail following the conviction, they cannot get benefits while incarcerated. For SSI benefits, the law states that a person cannot live in a public institution (for example, a jail, prison, penal facility, etc.) for a full calendar month or more, and receive SSI benefits. Generally, and depending on the circumstances of your case, we are allowed to start or re-instate your checks effective with the month after the month of your release. For more information, you may wish to read our publication, What Prisoners Need to Know. We hope this helps.

  4. Woody M.

    When is SSA going to get out of the Middle Ages? My Medicare benefits have been terminated. Yet, when I offer to provide them with my billing that shows no past dues; they will not even look at it. They just assume I am wrong. Also, the information on their website indicates my account is up to date. They will not accept anything by email and their toll free number people’s only answer is to refer you to their website or go to the local field office. As citizens we should demand this waste of funds be eliminated immediately.

  5. Dwayne G.

    Interesting article and full of creative ideas. Thank you for sharing the article.

  6. Syahdan

    This year he is in so very special . I hope to have improved again in the next year …

    Obat Maag Kronis Tradisonal

  7. Aya G.

    Is there any information regarding to this subject in other languages?

  8. Jill A.

    Do I have to declare state (CA) disability payments as income? I also received one week of unemployment before I fell and had to take my SSI at 66 instead of at 70 as I had planned. Does that unemployment need to be declared also?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Jill, for tax questions, you will need to contact the IRS. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040. We hope this helps.

  9. Wanda W.

    With no raise how do you think my husband and I can pay a hundred dollars ded for one of our meds. That’s two hundred dollars coming from our check’s that will hurt us financially next month. Is there anything we can do to get help with this

  10. Arthur B.

    To Ray Fernandez. I am not sure when the Bipartisan Budget Act was signed into law, but at this date, Jan 21, you only have 3 months and 1 week until May 1, 2016. How in the WORLD are you and your staff going to be able to get the message to us in time for us to ACT in time.?

Comments are closed.