Retirement, Survivors

You and Social Security, Together for a Lifetime

May 31, 2018 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

two women smiling togetherSocial Security is with you throughout life’s journey. During May, we celebrate Older Americans Month, and we want to highlight how we are here for you. We’re there when you get your first job, when you get married, and through years of work when you are paying Social Security taxes. Our programs serve as vital financial protection for millions of Americans, and part of our journey together includes making sure you know what that protection means to you in your later years.

We’re there to help you stay in control of your benefits with our online services — helping you do business with us from your preferred location. For example, if you damage or lose your Medicare card, you can order a replacement card easily with a personal my Social Security account. Having a personal my Social Security account helps free up your time to do other things that truly matter to you.

If the time comes when you can no longer manage your benefits, you can count on Social Security to be there. Our Representative Payee Program helps millions of beneficiaries who cannot manage their Social Security or Supplemental Security Income benefits. A representative payee is a trusted family member, friend, or institution who can receive and manage the funds we pay for someone who receives benefits.

Your representative payee receives the payments on your behalf and must use the money to pay for your needs, which include housing and utilities, food, medical and dental expenses, personal care items, clothing, and rehabilitation expenses (if you’re disabled).

Your representative payee can use the rest of your benefit money to pay the cost of your care and provide money for your personal needs. Social Security looks for qualified individuals or organizations to represent you.

Working with a representative payee is just one of the ways Social Security helps you secure today and tomorrow. Visit our representative payee website for more information.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Beverly W.

    Because I worked for the State of Ohio as an employee of The Ohio State University, my employment in private industry is “hit” and now that I’m a widow, I’m even more penalized. Do I have to move out of Ohio in order to be able to receive all the benefits I’ve earned over my employ -ment history and that of my husband of almost 53 years?
    If that is an option, maybe it’s something I need to think about seriously.

  2. Kwaku A.

    I’m 65 and rent an apartment in Washington DC for $1,475/month.
    My monthly benefits is $822/month so I drive a cab part time to supplement my income.
    What programs are out there to help me with affordable housing to make ends meet?

    • Lesly F.

      Only thing you can it you are taxi driver and you benefits from social friend is apploy for public can not paying rent higher money you not suppose to pay my friend.

    • Ray F.

      Some individuals may also be eligible to receive social services from the state in which they live. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. Or you can visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) web page for more information.
      We hope this helps!

  3. William R.

    Need to create/recall log-in and password for mySocialSecurity account. Please send reply to my email accounts. Thanks.433

    • Snarky

      Call 800-772-1213. Personal problems cannot be taken care of on a public blog.

  4. William R.

    Need to create log-in and password. I have forgotten them. This is for a mySocialSecurity account. Thanks.

    • Snarky

      Call 800=772-1213. Personal problems cannot be taken care of on a public blog.

  5. STEVEN C.

    426 S. CLARK ST.
    CHICAGO.IL 60605

    • Snarky


  6. SANDRA I.

    Thank you for this information and the benefits I can depend on. I am grateful.

  7. Angela P.

    I am Angela Provencio and I joined the ticket to work program and I feel there’s too much sterio typing in society. I went to college for 7 years but unfortunately I am disabled. I’ve survived 2 back surgeries and a neck surgery plus countless others due to R.A.. The problem is that I am no polar disorder Basicly either I’m all in or all out. I educated myself by attending college for 92 credit hours 7yrs. Here’s my problem how would I get my mental healt license and with what money. I live on less than a thousand amount, my rent alone is 600 plus electric. My credit was breached by experian credit bureau and my credit was ruined how can I get the money to fix that. I feel there would be no greater asset than someone to hire me because I’m 61 and was born rid way amoung it all I still managed to get ahead but how will I got forward it bipolar disorder is a disability and no one wants to hire someone lone me why are they scared. America needs to be educated.

    • Snarky

      Improve your typing skills, that might land you a job.

      • Joan. G.

        So many, on media of any kind, either type to fast, or don’t know spelling or grammar.

        • Ralph G.

          I think you mean “typing too fast”. Three ways to spell “to” and each one has a different meaning.

  8. Valerie S.

    It is nice to know that there is a reward for paying into the system, especially since I started to officially work at the age of 15. I am especially impressed with the print out of my entire work life. Your system data collection is great! Thank you.

    • Ray F.

      Thank you, Valerie! We’re pleased we can help. We will continue our efforts to meet your requirements and expectations in the years to come.

  9. Rose M.

    I have to say I am so impressed with all the Advertising you are doing lately. It’s about time Social Security got some Credit for all the good things they do.

    • Snarky

      Patting oneself on the back is hardly impressive.

    • Ray F.

      Thank you, Rose! Your thoughts are important to us and we’re pleased when feedback is positive. We try hard to provide the best possible service to our customers and your satisfaction is our reward.

      • caroldownzeh

        women 4 men is the best place for chatting with the girls

  10. Lola T.

    I’ve been working since I was 16.And I can’t retire until I m 65 and a half.Why?I just turned 61 this month.

    • Lesly F.

      I think my friend if you work that long and you have 40 credit is law social security can retired at 62 years old.your are 61 years old it’s next year.

    • Snarky

      You can retire at a reduced amount at age 62.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Lola. The earliest age you can apply for reduced retirement benefits is 62. We suggest you create a my Social Security account to review your earnings record and get an estimate of your future benefits.
      Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page for more information.

    • Ann w.

      How old do you have to before you can make unlimited money.

      • Ray F.

      • Kathy C.

        I also would like to know at what age you can collect full so securely it with no penalty.

        Also I would like to know if the survivor benefits are taxed when you draw social security for your deceased spouse?

        • Jessica

 printer is easy Setting up. All you need is to follow the simple steps and your HP Printer Setup is ready to function. or Call +1-888-863-4264

Comments are closed.