Disability, Survivors

There For You During Life’s Uncertainties

June 13, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: June 13, 2015

A person being taken to the hospital in an ambulance.One has only to look at the recent devastating earthquake in Nepal or recall the Boston Marathon bombing to realize that uncertainty is a certainty of life.

Disability can happen to anyone at anytime — when we least expect it.

You can’t always prepare for what life throws at you. Unexpected, sometimes tragic, events can catch you off-guard, leaving you vulnerable.

When times of uncertainty strike, there’s something you can count on: Social Security’s programs are there to support the financial security of nearly every American, often during times of personal and family hardship. Our disability programs play a large role in supporting individuals with disabilities.

In fact, our disability program is critically important to our nation and includes the Social Security Disability Insurance and the Supplemental Security Income programs.

People who can’t work because they have a medical condition that’s expected to last at least one year or result in death can receive benefits, and in some instances, their family members can as well.

We’re also here to support you when you experience a death in your family. With our online Survivors Benefits Planner tool, you can look at benefits from two sides: how your family members will be protected if you die, and how you may qualify as a survivor on someone else’s Social Security record. These benefits can be especially significant for young families with children.

Disability can happen to anyone at anytime — when we least expect it. If you’re going through an unexpected hardship, our employees are here to serve you and your family. To learn more about our programs and services, visit www.socialsecurity.gov.


Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications


  1. tukang

    very informative greetings from https://paroles-traduction-francaise.blogspot.com/

  2. Masirwin

    masirwin note hello Im from Indonesia

  3. Mike

    Mike just want to say hallo from here

  4. Dawn

    Somewhere on your site I found some time ago information on how you can make up to 3 disbursements a month from your ssa account at a cost of $1.50 each I think.

    Can you send me the link?


  5. Liz G.

    My name is Liz from L A ….. After 2 years of Broken marriage, i felt like my whole life was destroyed. I almost committed suicide but was saved by someone I dont know, I was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to a spell caster called Dr Muna, whom i met online as i was browsing through marriage365, i came across lots of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce. I also come across one particular testimony, It was about a woman called Patty, she testified about how Dr Muna brought back her husband in 3 days, and at the end of her testimony she dropped Dr Muna e-mail address marvelspelltemple@gmail. com After reading all these, I decided to give it a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 72 hours, my husband came back to me. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before Dr Muna, is really a gifted man and i will not stop publishing because he is a wonderful man…

  6. nancy l.

    im trying to change my direct deposit but cant find application to do so can you help me please

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Nancy. Thanks for the question. If you’re receiving Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability), you can start or update your direct deposit information by using your personal my Social Security account.

      If receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or unable to conduct business online, you can start or update your direct deposit by contacting the bank, credit union, or savings and loan association or by calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

      See our Frequently Asked Questions web page for more information.

  7. Martha C.

    I have sent in a direct deposit changing banks I would like to know where my money will be deposited on the 3rd of February? My social security number is the money is being changed from routing #to routing #Both accounts are in my name. Since I was loosing money continually at NAE F U I closed that account on the 5th of January so I am trying to make sure that my ss goes to Navy Federal C U.. Thank you please e-mail me an answer @martha.cassidy47@gmail.com

    • Vonda V.

      Thank you for contacting us, Martha. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot assist you.

      To inquire about your next payment, you will have to contact your local office or call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

      Just a reminder – Please be cautious about posting personal information on social media and communicating personal information via email.

  8. Nita L.

    My checking account to which my monthly Soc.Sec. payment is deposited, has been compromised. A new account has been set up. Please advise me as to how to notify you of the new number and get deposits started to the new account. Thank you.

  9. Edward D.

    PleasE r espond or send me a phone numbe r

  10. Edward D.

    Requested change of bank for my wie and me. Mine was hanged b ut hers was not d or new bank Her nameis Grace Donatelli *** – ** – ***.phone 772 220 6822. Please advise.

Comments are closed.