Disability, General

Give Yourself the Gift of Healthcare

December 11, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

Christmas present Have you finished your holiday shopping? Did you find something special for each person you hold dear? What about for you?

When we focus on giving — of our time and with presents — it’s easy to forget about getting ourselves an important item. We seldom think about our own healthcare coverage during the holidays. This is something Social Security and the Affordable Care Act (ACA) aim to change.

Of course, you may be well now, but at one point or another, you’ll need healthcare coverage, if you become ill or have an accident. You may not like to think about it but an illness or disability can happen to you. Being prepared — by having coverage — is a major part of a healthier future. The ACA makes it easy to #GetCovered and to find affordable plans and preventive care.

We serve as a proud ACA education and referral partner. We believe that access to quality healthcare has a positive effect on health outcomes. Some people who apply for Social Security disability benefits may not have access to healthcare, which negatively affects their health and well-being. A good healthcare plan can provide you with the medical care you need, until we make a decision on your disability claim. The good news is you can be considered for healthcare coverage even if you have a pre-existing condition. Please don’t wait! Apply for health coverage now and get the care you need. I encourage you to visit healthcare.gov or call 1-800-318-2596 for more information.

Giving selflessly is part of the holiday season. Don’t forget . . . that includes you, too. If you need coverage, give yourself the gift of quality, affordable, healthcare for the holidays, and beyond. ACA Open enrollment ends January 31.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!


See Comments

About the Author

Carolyn Colvin, Acting Commissioner of Social Security

Acting Commissioner of Social Security (February 14, 2013 - January 20, 2017)


  1. Zora C.

    It’s an amazing ideas and very helpful for everyone . Thanks for share Couponado

  2. Kurma A.

    Giving Gifts It’s easy but taking the time is hard, no need to buy expensive ones, just buy fruit. like dates. you can buy Jual Kurma Ajwa Madiun

  3. Claudio W.

    Great that we can have tis kinds of health resources. you can also visit <a href="https://clarinetfingeringchart.com&quot;

  4. Thomas N.

    How can my mother change her address if she dose not have a computer or email address to do it online?

  5. Robin

    My Mother died Dec. 25, 2017 and her check is still going into her account. What do I have to do to stop the payment from going into her account at her bank.

    • R.F.

      We are sorry to hear of your recent loss, Robin. In most cases, the funeral home will report the person’s death to Social Security and payments are then terminated.
      If you need to report your mother’s death, you must contact your local Social Security office or call 1-800-772-1213 ( TTY 1-800-325-0778). Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
      Also, you can contact the bank and ask them to return any funds received for the month of death or later. If the deceased was receiving Social Security benefits, you must return the benefit received for the month of death or any later months. For example, if the person dies in December, you must return the benefit paid in January or later. Thanks.

  6. thomas e.

    how do i get my 1095-B and can i get it E-mailed

Comments are closed.