COVID-19, Online Services

Social Security’s Plan to Better Serve You

July 16, 2020 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: June 23, 2021

We are committed to improving service to the millions of Americans who expect and deserve timely and accurate help from us.  This effort requires that we modernize our technology so we can provide our employees with effective, easy-to-use tools that help them do their job well.  As the COVID-19 pandemic has also underscored, we must offer additional online, remote service, and self-service options that you expect from organizations today.

While such service options depend on modern technology, many of our systems are more than 30 years old.  Thus, nearly two years ago, we initiated a multi-year Information Technology (IT) Modernization Plan to replace our outdated systems with updated technology that enhances our service capabilities.  We have updated this plan to build on the tremendous progress we have made over the past two years and to reflect input from public and private technology experts, our frontline employees, and most importantly, from our interactions with you.

This update enhances our focus on improving our services online, over the telephone, and in our local offices.  We are also committed to ensuring that the service options we offer are both secure and easily accessible.  Currently, it is too hard for many people to prove who they are to access our online services, which is why we have made improving our my Social Security account registration process a foundation of our modernization efforts.

We will continue to review our IT Modernization plans to make sure that they are flexible enough to keep up with rapid technology change and future customer needs so that we deliver on your expectations. I invite you to read our IT Modernization plan and the 2020 Update.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Andrew Saul, Commissioner, Social Security Administration

Commissioner of Social Security Administration (June 17, 2019 - July 9, 2021)


  1. Vernita P.

    Hi, Is there any help with rent? I’m renting
    And they are increasing my payment
    Wanting 30.00 more. It is all ready high enough., .

  2. Suzanne S.

    I read in Forbes that people who turn 60 this year are going to have a horrible reduction in benefits for life when they turn 67,. Because this is the year used in their benefits calculation for average national wages, which are atypically low due to Covid. Please ask your senators and representatives to fix this unfair calculation problem!

  3. E A.


    • Vonda V.

      Hi E Alan. If you get Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability) or are enrolled in Medicare, you can create a my Social Security account to change your address online.

      If you get SSI, do not have a U.S. mailing address, or are unable to change your address online, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

      If you do not receive Social Security benefits, SSI or Medicare, you do not need to change your address with us.

  4. Hardip S.

    My spouse is 58 years old (DOB 5/13/1962). she is a home maker. I am a senior citizen who is drawing social security with wind fall penalty due to my federal pension. The current monthly SS amount I am receiving is $801.00.
    At what age my spouse will be entitled to receive social security based on my social security earnings.

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Hardip, thanks for using our blog. Even if your spouse has never worked under Social Security, your spouse may be able to get benefits if they are at least 62 years of age and you are receiving or eligible for retirement or disability benefits. Check out our Retirement Planner: Benefits For Your Spouse for additional details.

  5. About C.

    Very good, Thank You!

  6. Michael V.

    I am unable to sign in to my social security account. I need to obtain a recent letter varifying my income through Social Security account. “Proof of income” letter.

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Michael. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to get a benefit verification letter. You also may be able to request a benefit verification letter by using our automated telephone service at 1-800-772-1213. You can conduct the automated services 24 hours a day. At the prompt, indicate that you’re requesting a benefit verification letter. We hope this helps.

  7. Michael D.

    I LOVE What You Are Doing

  8. Stanley J.

    One thing you must absolutely do is to allow access from overseas. Right now you do not do that. I know of no other government site that restricts access to citizens residing overseas. OPM and IRS are two sites that I can think of right now that allow access from overseas. Why can the SSA not do that.

    • Dale

      Why should they?
      I see no reason you need to contact the ss office via “my social security” from a foreign country.

  9. Paul B.

    Please don’t abandon the people that have no computer savvy and must work with personal or in writing type approaches. We have a number of elderly. Many can take care of themselves through online approaches. Some cannot. It is unfair to set up systems where because they do not have the capability they have to pay someone else to make it happen for them while the computer savvy do not. .

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Paul, thank you for your feedback. Individuals can speak with a Social Security representative by calling their local Social Security office or our National number, 1-800-772-1213. We provide local office phone numbers conveniently online with our Social Security Office Locator. We hope this information helps.

  10. Daniel

    How can I establish an Online My Social Security Account with living in Germany without a permanent U.S. mailing address?

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Daniel, thank you for your question. At this time you must have a U. S. mailing address to create or access your online account. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet.

      We recommend that individuals living outside the United States contact the nearest Federal Benefit Unit in the area for any assistance related to Social Security programs and benefits. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad.

Comments are closed.