Six New States for Our Online Replacement Card Service

July 22, 2019 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: July 22, 2019

" "We’re happy to announce that we’ve added South Carolina, Kansas, Tennessee, Alaska, Hawaii, and North Carolina to the growing list of areas where you can request a replacement Social Security card online. We now cover 40 states and the District of Columbia, and 86 percent of the U.S population may be eligible to use this service. So far, 2.3 million people have replaced their card by going online.

Your Social Security number is your first and continuous link with Social Security, so losing your card can be frustrating. Fortunately, replacing your card is quick, secure, and free! To replace your card online, first you’ll need to log in to or create your my Social Security account. We protect your personal information using identity verification and other security features. Your security and protection are what matter most; you can take control of your future with secure access to your information anytime, anywhere!

You’ll also need to meet certain requirements to get an online replacement card. You must be a U. S. citizen age 18 or older with a U.S. mailing address, cannot be requesting a name change or any other change to your card, and must have a driver’s license or state-issued identification card from a participating state. You can see if your state participates here.

Keep in mind that, even if you lost your card, you may not need a replacement. In most cases, simply knowing your Social Security number is enough. If you do need a replacement, we make it easy. Once you log in to your account, you can follow the steps to request your replacement Social Security card online.

Learn more about getting a replacement Social Security card and find out if you can request yours online by visiting our Social Security number and card page. Join the more than two million people who have already gone online to request their Social Security cards!

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. sera b.

    please sent me card
    Lucky Patcher

  2. Linda M.

    Please send me replacement card

  3. KC

    Any plans for OHIO on becoming a state where we can obtain replacement SS CARDS online? If so when might that be?
    Thank you

  4. jack b.

    i need help on my last string of waiting cant get help losing everything my condition has worsten out of work 3 years waiting on appeals concil people dont listen i have a mental problem i need help but no body cares .

  5. Terry B.

    Is it possible to order a new social security card for someone as a POA. My partner is currently incarcerated and will be getting out at the end of August. He wanted to have his card when he gets out. But while he is in jail I’ve been handling his business affairs. His name is Clint Douglas Payne
    Born 10/09/74 in Florida.

  6. essam e.

    un fortunately all the requirement for applying because i reside outside the USA. i would appreciate it if you can make it easy to do it. i still have my old s.s. card thanks

  7. Russell F.

    Thank you for all the help. Very appreciated

  8. James M.

    Need to replace as card online ..can you help..

  9. Bette O.

    Trying to replace Medicare card for Thomas D Murray ss# dob 07-24-1954. Since he does not use the computer i entered my e-mail address but it didn’t work.
    Address is: 67 Constitution Way
    Cameron, North Carolina 28326
    Phone # 910-527-2179

    Or should we call toll free number and is there any charge?

  10. William. L.

    My SS card has been lost

Comments are closed.