Online Services, Taxes

No Need to Visit a Field Office: Replace Your SSA-1099 Benefit Statement Online

February 2, 2017 • By

man on laptop We’re with you through life’s journey, putting you in control of your finances and future. Social Security has made requesting or replacing your annual Benefit Statement even easier. The Benefit Statement is also known as the SSA-1099 or the SSA-1042S. Now you have the ability to download it anytime and anywhere you want using our online services. There’s no need to visit a field office.

An SSA-1099 is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to IRS on your tax return.

If you currently live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, simply go online and request an instant, printable replacement form with a my Social Security account at

A replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S is typically available for the previous tax year after February 1.

If you already have a my Social Security account, you should access your online account and go to “Replacements Documents” to view and print your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S. If you don’t have access to a printer, you can save the document on your computer or laptop and email it. If you don’t have a my Social Security account, creating a secure account is very easy to do and usually takes less than 15 minutes.

If you’re a noncitizen who lives outside of the United States and you received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S instead. The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Securing today and tomorrow isn’t always easy, but Social Security continues to improve our customer service with easy to use online features. Visit for more.

Tags: , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author


Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment.

  1. Janice Jackson

    I need a copy of my 2018 benefit statement

    • Vonda

      Hi Janice, thanks for using our blog. For a 2018 SSA-1099, please call your local Social Security office. Look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

  2. David M Talamante

    Can I make changes to my W-4 withholding online?

    • Vonda

      Thank you for your question, David. To change your withholding you will need to complete and submit Form W-4V. You can download the form or call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-3676 and ask for Form W-4V. When you complete the form, you can choose to have 7, 10, 12, or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld for taxes. Mail the completed, signed form to your local Social Security office. Use our Social Security Office Locator to obtain their mailing address.

      Check out our Withholding Income Tax From Your Social Security Benefits web page for more information. We hope this is helpful!

  3. victor soliz

    social security sucks because they dont give us enough to servive on, what we paid in doesnt copare to what we get !!!!!!!

  4. William H Deroy

    My friend has not received his Form SSA-1099 R for tax year 2020, what should he do and how can he get one? He is 75 years old and I help him do his taxes every year.

    • Vonda

      Hi William. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page on how to obtain a replacement 1099. Your friend also may be able to request a replacement SSA-1099 by using our automated telephone service at 1-800-772-1213. You can conduct the automated services 24 hours a day. At the prompt, indicate that you’re requesting a replacement SSA-1099. We hope this helps.

  5. Michael Dorich

    My wife and I are both retired teachers. So, by law we only receive part of our Social Security which goes directly to medicare. We normally receive our 1099 forms in January. She received hers and I did not. I called in January and used the automated system. and was told I would receive one. I did not. I called on February 22 and talked with a real person. I was told mine would be sent out on Feb. 22. The lady I talked with didn’t understand that we normally receive both of ours about the same time. It’s March 2 and I have received nothing. I signed up for the Social Security my account. You are supposed to be able to get a replacement 1099 by clicking on replacement documents. That doesn’t work because a replacement 1099 is not a choice. I called today March 2. The first time I called the automated system could not access my account. So, I waited many minutes and the line disconnected. I called again and this time I just started to talk with a real person and we were disconnected. I called a third time and the automated system was able to access my account and I was told that I would receive it by March 16. I don’t believe anything will happen based on may experience. I would like to receive a phone call for help. But, I don’t expect that. I am basically on my own.


Leave a Comment

Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment. For your safety, please do not post Personally Identifiable Information (such as your Social Security Number, address, phone number, email address, bank account number, or birthdate) on our blog.

Leave a Reply to Vonda VanTil, Public Affairs Specialist Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *