Disability, Online Services, SSI

New Wage Reporting Application

June 28, 2018 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

woman on computer On June 2, 2018, new capabilities were added to my Social Security accounts. The my Social Security online portal now accepts wage reports electronically from Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients and deemors, concurrent beneficiaries, and representative payees. This capability had been available only to Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) beneficiaries and their representative payees.

This new application makes it possible to avoid visits to a field office to report wages in person.  However, users must still contact an office to report when they first start working for each new employer. It’s also important to note that representative payees are able to report wages, but won’t have access to beneficiaries’ or recipient’s other information. When you sign up for or log in to your personal my Social Security account, you’ll have access to this convenient application on your desktop, laptop, and mobile device. After you report your wages online, you can save or print a copy of your receipt.

We’re expanding and improving our services to put you in control of your time by providing applications and services when, where, and how you need them.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Toni D.

    I noticed that this site was visited 3 times today, I have not visited this site from my computer today. My son has this same email and he hasn’t visited this site either. My name is Toni Davis and his name is Richard Dillon.

    • cynthia b.

      I have had the same problem and today is the first time i have visited.

      • Phil

        Toni & Cynthia, It could just be a cookie error with your browser. It’s not tracking your real name. Try a different browser and look at the “Visits Today”.

  2. Donzella F.

    Hi there is an error on my reported wade earrings can we submit my income tax information online for correction ?

    • Ray F.

      Hello Donzella, you will need to go into your local Social Security office to correct your earnings record. When you go, you will need to provide proper ID and evidence of your earnings, such as W-2s, pay stubs, etc.
      You can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to make an appointment. Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00a.m. and 7:00p.m. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week.
      For any income tax related questions, you will need to contact the IRS. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040. We hope you get this helps!

  3. Norma

    I have a 16 yr old daughter who is a full time high school student. She receives SSDI dependent benefits because I am disabled. Can she work part time?

    • Ray F.

      Thank you for your question, Norma. Yes, your daughter is allowed to work. However, there are limits on how much survivors may earn while they receive benefits.
      See “Getting Benefits While Working“. Thanks!

  4. Nancy M.

    I am 81 and took early retirement at 62. I did not work 35 years because I was a military spouse for 20 years and was unemployed much of the time because of frequent reassignments. I have been divorced for 32 years. My ex-husband is still living and collects SS. My SS is very low. Do I get credit because of MY military service? She also serves who waits! Thank you.

    • Ray F.

      Thank you for your question, Nancy. Individuals can only get Social Security credits, if they served on active duty.

    • Dee

      If you were married for ten years you are entitled to your spouses SS benefits up to 1/2 the amount if it is greater than what you are getting now. If you get 500 and her gets 1500 would would get 750 instead of 500. Half of his has to be more than your benefit.

  5. Kathryn V.

    Do I need to report my pension?
    Thank you.
    Kathryn Vantrease kathyev55@gmail.com

  6. leroy s.

    already getting ss in the amount of 1,200,00 a month which covers my bills. my wife passed away 7 months ago and I lost 900.00 a month’ was told to contact ss about a raise in benefits.thank you; Leroy j snyder

    • Ray F.

      We are sorry to hear of your loss, Leroy. If a person already receives retirement benefits on his or her own record, they can only apply for benefits as a widow or widower if the retirement benefit they receive is less than the benefits they would receive as a survivor.
      Please call our toll free number and speak to one of our agents to see if you’re eligible for a higher benefit amount. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

    • Snarky

      There is no raise in benefits. Your wife’s payments ended with her death. Don’t waste your time with Ray’s advice,

  7. Joe P.

    Great, what about this windfall tax why does it not show up on my account.

    • Snarky

      What windfall tax? You’ll get nothing extra unless you answer Prince Uga Uga from Nigeria. Be on the lookout for his Email, he has $10,000,000.00 in your name.

  8. Hector

    I have been waiting since April 12, 2018 for a temporary password, since I forgot mine.
    I then called the social security office and was told (which I never knew) that they couldn’t help me since I had requested a Mail in temporary password.
    I just would have liked to have know that Before, as an Option or whatever. So I haven’t gotten my temporary password now 28th of June 2018. So I continue to wait?
    I can see that someone has visited Today 3 times, well thats news to me, They someone probally has my password and is already accessing my social security. Well that makes me feel really Secure that me being the one that IS the Holder of the card & social security account , I Dont have acess, cause I already applied for a temporty one, So What am I soppose to Do?

    • Ray F.

      We apologize for any inconvenience, Hector. For assistance, call our “my Social Security-Hotline” at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”. Thanks!

    • Snarky

      Isn’t it crap that some stranger has your PW and knows all about you and you don’t remember your PW? Now if you could just find out who this stranger is.

  9. Fahmi N.

    Until you figure out a way for us Americans residing overseas, and not maintaining a US physical address, to have online accounts, like everyone else, I guess we will not be able to enjoy all these benefits and conveniences.

    • Snarky

      Well, this is a convenience for those on SSI. Those living in s**t holes don’t get SSI.

  10. Lalman U.

    A step in the right direction. Makes life a bit easier. Thanks

Comments are closed.