Myths and Facts About Social Security’s Disability Program


127 thoughts on “Myths and Facts About Social Security’s Disability Program

  1. If you are SSD an making 940 from social security how much more can one earn in a month and still receive SSD an is it acceptable to work 20 hours a week and the earning 10.50 an hour

    • Hi Jordan, thank you for your question. Social Security has special rules that make it possible for people with disabilities receiving Social Security Disability (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) to work and still receive monthly payments. These are called work incentives.

      For SSDI beneficiaries, there is a Trial Work Period (TWP) and then an Extended Period of Eligibility (EPE). The TWP allows you to test your ability to work for at least 9 months. During this period, you will receive your full disability benefit regardless of how much you earn as long as your work activity is reported and you continue to have a disabling impairment. In 2018, any month in which earnings exceed $850 is considered a month of the 9-month trial work period.

      Once you’ve completed your TWP, you get a 36-month safety net called the EPE. During the EPE, you get benefits for all months your earnings or work activities are below the Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) level as long as you continue to have a disabling impairment. Social Security will suspend cash benefits for months earnings are over SGA and start benefits again if earnings fall below the SGA level. In 2018, you are earning SGA if your earnings, after any allowable deductions, are more than $1,180 in a month.

      See Social Security’s Red Book for descriptions of the many work incentives.

  2. Hello
    After a car left me with compound leg fractures at 60,I started to receive private LTD, and SSD. My LTD benefits were depleted.
    Will I get what I used to received from the LTD back from SS?
    Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

    • Hi Carol, thank you for using our blog. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot assist you.

      It is important to report that information and to inquire about your benefits. To do this, contact your local office or call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

  3. Is there an area on your site that I can find a form to submit on your website or do I have to pick one up @ one of the Social Security offices?
    Thank you in advance for your assistance.

  4. My son who is on SSI wants to change his responsible payer from myself to his mother and have his check sent to a different bank. how do we legally do this. without there being a break in his eligibility.

  5. I am refinancing my home and the underwriter is asking for me to provide three-year continuance proof. How do I get that?

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *