General, Online Services

my Social Security 101: When You Need Additional Help With Your Account

May 20, 2021 • By

Reading Time: 3 Minutes

Last Updated: November 2, 2023

Sometimes we need help with or have questions about our online accounts. For your convenience, we want to share some frequently asked questions you may find helpful with your personal my Social Security account needs.

What if I forgot my username or password?

It happens to all of us on occasion. We can’t remember our username or password. If you’ve forgotten your username or password – perhaps even both – we have you covered. Visit our my Social Security Sign In page and select “Forgot Username” or “Forgot Password.” Follow the prompts, and in just a few minutes you will be back in business – Social Security business.

What if I am locked out of my account?

Your account may be locked because you – or perhaps someone else – entered inconsistent or incorrect information. We lock your account to protect your information. If you are locked out of your account, you can call our my Social Security Help Desk at 1-800-772-1213 from Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET. When you call, say “Help Desk” at the voice prompt.

How can I block access to my account?

We know that in certain instances, like for victims of domestic violence or identity theft, you may want to block access to your information.  You can choose to block any automated telephone and electronic access to your Social Security record. When you do this, no one, including you, will be able to see or change your personal information online or through our automated telephone service.

Please call us at 1-800-772-1213 or call your local Social Security office if you need to block access to your record. You can find the number for your local office using our Office Locator. If you change your mind in the future, you can contact us and ask us to unblock it.

What if I live overseas?

At this time, you must have a United States mailing address to create a personal my Social Security account. People with an overseas APO/FPO/DPO address can create an account, but our system does not yet support registration for users with a foreign address. However, you may be able to access our services by creating an account. is a Single Sign-On provider that meets the U.S. government’s most rigorous requirements for online identity proofing and authentication. On our my Social Security account set up page, select Sign in with and follow the link to create an account.

We recommend that people living outside the U.S. contact the nearest Federal Benefits Unit or U.S. embassy for any assistance related to our programs and benefits. Our Office of Earnings and International Operations page also has more information.

What if I need additional help?

We’re happy to help with any difficulties you’re having with your personal my Social Security account. For assistance, you may call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Lines are open from Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET. Please say “Help Desk” at the voice prompt. You can also contact your local Social Security office.

We encourage you to sign up for your personal my Social Security account if you haven’t done so. Please share this information with your family and friends—and help us spread the word on social media.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner


  1. Jonsh k.

    Thanks for Detail

    Indexing in milling machine

  2. Lisandro J.

    Yearly statement for the past7 years

  3. Peggy b.

    Today, I worked with a SSA Employee on the phone at the Help Desk. Her name was Teresa. Hold time was approx, 1 hr–but that is to be expected. I received the most courteous and compassionate help possible. I could not have been more pleased. Teresa listened and then answered. She did not try to talk over me. Her help was invaluable. She gave me tools to use to move forward and the most efficient way to expedite my concerns. She truly was my guardian angel today.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Peggy. Thank you! Your thoughts are important to us and we’re pleased when feedback is positive. We try hard to provide the best possible service to our customers and your satisfaction is our reward.

  4. Rich

    It is difficult to get information living overseas. Despite the blog saying you can get online with my Social Security using IDme, it tells you that ID cannot be verified and thanks you for the test pilot program. A referral to a non-functioning site is a big help……

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Rich. Unfortunately, at present, our electronic authentication process requires that you have a U.S. mailing address to set up an online account. However, if you need help, assistance, or information about your account, you can contact your nearest Federal Benefits Unit. For information on payments while outside of the U.S., visit here. We hope this information helps!

  5. Jean

    Requested in person hearing when received April 2 hearing date notice. was told no in person being scheduled at that time bit received a postponement letter end of March.

    Sent form to reschedule that postponed Phone hearing March 29, advised 60-90 days to reschedule with 20 day notice. Four Disabled RFCs from different doctors were completed and submitted in March along with recent records from about 10 doctors. Not all show in My SSA messages.
    What is the approximate reschedule time? Will the March RFCs be reviewed or must I ask them to re-sign and date the old ones? One of those doctors is retiring?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Jean. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. Generally, you will have a shorter wait if you call later in the day. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  6. Vincent B.

    I have tried ssi got nothing from no one. Have about 8 disability and over 18 illness and have to going from being helped with full time health worker full time 40 hours a week to me now having to fend for self and find a place to live before May 29th. Or will be homeless by then with a ESA certified dog that is now disabled her self and me looking after her now. That is my child. I will no matter the cost to myself and that is fine. Thank you so much for $793 a month my dog eats $320 a month alone in food. Truly Inhumans. I am 73% below the lowest of a what a regular person gets. That’s really crazy when you have disability act. How is giving a handy cap person live.
    Please no spam it will be blocked.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Vincent. We are sorry to hear about your condition and situation. You may be eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include free meals, housekeeping help, transportation, or help with other problems. To get information about services in your area and find out if you qualify, you will need to contact your state or local social services or welfare office. We hope this helps!

  7. Denise W.

    If you want to promote the MySSA account option, then you NEED to post clear links to a help desk and chat, SOMETHING.

    There is also no way to report technical problems. The last time I called your phone center, I wanted on hold FOR ALMOST AN HOUR.


    The customer service at the SSA is HORRENDOUS. The leadership of the SSA clearly is looking to destroy the agency and the program.

    • Ann C.

      We are sorry to hear about your experience, Denise. You can submit feedback by visiting our Contact Social Security page. Once there, select the “Email Us” link. This will take you to the “Email A Question to our Support Team” form where you can complete and submit a compliment, complaint, or suggestion. We hope this helps.

    • carol w.

      agree 100%

  8. Janis J.

    I need to change my mailing address only..physical address is still the same

    • arina

      If you need some help go now and take help about your query.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Janis. If you are receiving Social Security retirement or disability, you can create a personal my Social Security account to change your address online. If you are receiving Supplemental Security Income, you should contact your local office immediately. We hope this helps.

  9. Janis J.

    I have been trying for over 2 years trying to get into my SS account online but to no avail..always get the statement saying password would be mailed…guess what..I have never ever got anything from SS…

    • C M.

      Yes, I am having the same problem.
      Never comes in the mail. I call back
      And ask again. They say yes I see you have requested help. Still no help in the mail or over the phone. Very inefficient.
      Do they even care?

      • carol w.

        agree…don’t ave time to wait for someone to answer the phone…and I live 2 hours from an ss office

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Janis. We are sorry to hear about your experience. If you are still unable to access your account or encounter a problem with your personal my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. Your local office can also assist. We hope this helps.

  10. N. P.

    I recently moved. How do I change my address?

    • Ann C.

      Hi. If you are receiving Social Security retirement or disability, you can create a personal my Social Security account to change your address online. If you are receiving Supplemental Security Income, you should contact your local office immediately. We hope this helps.

Comments are closed.