Let Social Security Help Guide You Back To Work

September 19, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: September 19, 2016

ticket to workThere’s no denying that we all need a helping hand every now and then. Whether it’s to change a tire, move into a new home, or build a tree house, knowing someone is there to lend a hand is always reassuring. Social Security offers this same assurance to all those we serve each day, including beneficiaries with disabilities. When you’re ready to return to work or work for the first time, we’re here.

Our Ticket to Work program offers beneficiaries with disabilities access to meaningful employment. Employment occurs with the assistance of Ticket to Work employment service providers called Employment Networks. The primary goals of employment networks are to assist you with a variety of work-related tasks to prepare you for the workforce. Our beneficiaries get help finding a job and staying employed, as well as instruction on their wage-reporting responsibilities to Social Security. Ultimately, they assist in guiding you back to work!

The program is free, voluntary, and offers help to people ages 18 through 64 who receive Social Security disability benefits. If you’re interested in this program, we’re here to provide support throughout your journey. In fact, this program focuses on your financial independence. Beneficiaries go to work, get a good job that may lead to a career, and become financially independent.

One major benefit of this career starter is that as a beneficiary, you’re able to keep your cash benefits and Medicare or Medicaid. Throughout your transition to work, there are protections in place to help you return to benefits if you find you’re unable to continue working due to your disability.

Take advantage of the Ticket to Work program today, as you connect the right mix of free employment support services and approved service providers that best fit your needs. If you’re ready for the workforce, we’re ready to help guide you all the way!

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. Emilio V.

    Hi My name is Emilio Vega, I would love to be re-train to go back to work, but I visit 2 places and they don’t since to be willing to help me, I was in coma in Hospital for a long time, & I never get therapy, but now I am ready to restart but I need be re-train.
    Thank you

    • Ray F.

      Hello Emilio, individuals who receive Social Security benefits because of a disability and are age 18 through 64 may qualify for participation in the Ticket to Work program.

  2. Charles S.

    I have an opportunity to work part-time and supplement my disability income and was very worried if I did this I would lose my benefits. Honestly I just need to get out of the house and feel useful again and the articles I read on your website are very easy to understand and eased my mind about returning to some work and not being penalized. Thank you so much.

    • Ray F.

      Thank you! We’re pleased we can help. See Returning To Work for more.

  3. Ted P.

    I am grateful for the many kinds of programs the Social Security Administration provides for disabled people.

    • Ray F.

      We appreciate your thoughts ted, and we’re pleased we can help. Thanks for your comment!

  4. Janina R.

    Thanks for sharing this. That helped me a lot. I would like to share with you a great service to fill a form online. I’ve forgotten the last time I filled out a form on paper. I mostly use PDFfiller to edit. You can easily fill SSA-11-BK here 2009 form ssa 11-bk

  5. Dolores M.

    I have chrons and am currently on disability and also have back. Problems and anxiety I work as a waitress 2-3 days a week but its getting harder to do. …I am divorced after a 10 yr marriage im only 41 but can I apply for my ex husband benifits?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Dolores! Generally, a divorced spouse may be able to receive benefits on the ex-spouse’s record starting at age 62 or older. Social Security pays disability benefits to people who are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last one year or more or to end in death. However, if a person thinks that he or she meets our definition of disability, we encourage them to apply for disability benefits when they become disabled. A person may still be eligible for disability benefits under the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program if they work. However, their earnings cannot exceed a certain amount. This is called the Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) limit. In 2016, the SGA limit is $1,130 per month (or $1,820 for blind applicants). Please read our publication, “What Every Woman Should Know” for more important information.
      We hope this information helps

  6. tammy

    Wish Social Security could guide me to work, but they can’t even change their own outdated discriminatory rules.

    I am 45 years old, a mother of three older children and physically disabled ( I was born with cerebral palsy ). I’ve never collected one red cent of money from the Socialist Security System, even though I have applied several times and they find me disabled.

    Technically, I am an “adult disabled child” (please look this up, it is NOT SSI or SSDI) but have never been able to secure any benefits whatsoever from the Socialist Security system, even under that program because I got married to an “Able bodied person”. The Socialist Security system is too busy paying benefits to some people who scam the system and worrying about adult disabled children (who they pay benefits to off of a parents record) marrying an able bodied person. This gives them the justification to cut off benefits to the adult disabled child because the husband (in theory) can now support the disabled person. This theory works great, if your husband is rich and you have no need for money but what it actually does, is to force two adults (one disabled one able bodied person) to live off of one income. In the real world, the socialist security system is forcing adult disabled children to only marry other disabled persons (and NO able bodied persons) at the threat of loosing any and all benefits that they are entitled to.

    If you are a physically disabled person (an adult disabled child) and you happen to marry an “able bodied person” you will be loosing out on a lifetime of benefits, all because of a one word “rule” that prohibits you from marrying an “able bodied person”. Best of all, they never tell you about their “Rule” so that they can justify cutting off any benefits that you may be due.

    Because you are physically disabled (adult disabled child) and you choose not to marry another adult disabled child or disabled person drawing off socialist security, you WILL LOOSE ANY AND ALL BENEFITS FOR LIFE. This means that the SOCIALIST SECURITY system is TELLING YOU WHO YOU ARE ALLOWED TO MARRY and who you are
    NOT ALLOWED TO MARRY! It is a discriminatory act “rule” and should be ILLEGAL!

    Even though I am permanently and totally disabled, if I marry an “able bodied person”, somehow that marriage makes everything ok and I am no longer considered disabled (in the eyes of the socialist security system). Magically (because I married an able bodied person), the pixie fairies come down and cure my disability, because now I can just go out and find gainful employment, no one will discriminate against my physical disability and everything will be grand, right? Somehow magically, marrying an able bodied person makes my physical disablility dissappear and now I am cured, right? WRONG!

    The issue is a special “Rule” that the Socialist Security System uses to discriminate against “certain” people. If you are a “physically disabled person” (AKA-certain people) and happen to marry an able bodied person, then the SOCIALIST SECURITY system will use special “Rules” to legally discriminate against you and deny you benefits, even if you appeal online.

    The SOCIALIST SECURITY system has caused me a lot of economic hardship all because I married an able bodied person. The SOCIALIST SECURITY system thinks someone who is physically disabled (permanently and totally disabled) marries an “able bodied person”, that somehow magically they are cured of their physical disability and two people can survive off the able bodied persons income. WOW, talk about a bunch of bureaucratic idiotic thinking, that somehow this would not cause a financial hardship….. amazing.

    The rules that the Social Security Administration uses to legally discriminate against persons who are “Adult Disabled Children” who happen to marry an able bodied person, are discriminatory. This is loosely referred to as the “marriage penalty” but I call it exactly what it is, a legal form of discrimination.
    I firmly believe this rule, is an act of bias, prejudice and discrimination against people who (by no fault of their own) are born disabled and happen to marry an able bodied person

    Please write your Congressional Representative and tell them to end this modern day form of Legal Discrimination. In this day of fairness and equality, there are still some people suffering from an outdated and oppressive bureaucratic rule.

    (PS. notice how the only thing any of these SOCIALIST SECURITY workers ever say are quotes of the rules or processes, like a worker drone. They are unable to address any topics that fall outside of their rule books). Typical bureaucracy and bureaucratic responses, like trying to argue over lost change with a vending machine!

  7. Martha

    LOL – Millions have gotten disability benefits far too easily! Proven by the fact that they go directly from unemployment benefits to DISABILITY!! Part of obama’s belief in Soros agenda to destroy the economy with overwhelming national debt – now about $20,000,000,000,000!!!

  8. Moira

    I am constantly searching online for articles that can help me. Thx!


  9. Ashok S.

    I requested SSA to let me view my SS a/c but no response has given to my request.

    Since I dont live in US anymore, I can not create a new a/c .And I am unable to view my a/c because I am getting message that email login/pwd is incorrect , but i am sure those variables are correct.

    I lived there as Permanent resident for 8 yrs, studied there and worked full time with Church of God publishing house, Cleveland, Tn.

    Pl help me view my a/c, i can provide you my Alien numb, SSN or any thing else you want to know. Thanks.

    • Ray F.

      We apologize for the inconvenience Ashok and appreciate you trying to use our online services. At this time, you must have a U. S. mailing address to create or to access your online account. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet. You can contact the local U.S. embassy or consulate for assistance related to Social Security benefits or services. Thanks!

    • Kayleigh

      What an awesome gi3oaway&#82v0;yeu rock! That cookbook looks awesome. And the broccolini looks fabulous…I can’t get my boyfriend to eat broccoli, but he’s sort of on the fence on broccolini…I am definitely trying this, I bet it will make him a convert!

  10. Sam

    I am 77 years old working , receiving S.S and had surgery I have short and long term disability insurance. Can I get disability check from the insurance co’ beside the social security ?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Sam, we can only provide information about our programs; you should contact your insurance company directly to find out if you can receive additional benefits. Thanks.

Comments are closed.