Fraud

Inspector General Warns Public About Caller ID “Spoofing” of Social Security Fraud Hotline Phone Number

April 2, 2019 • By

The Inspector General of Social Security, Gail S. Ennis, is warning citizens about a caller-ID “spoofing” scheme misusing the Social Security Administration (SSA) Office of the Inspector General’s (OIG) Fraud Hotline phone number. The OIG has received recent reports of phone calls displaying the Fraud Hotline number on a caller-ID screen. This is a scam; OIG employees do not place outgoing calls from the Fraud Hotline 800 number. Citizens should not engage with these calls or provide personal information.

SSA and OIG employees do contact citizens by telephone for official purposes, and they may request the citizen confirm personal information over the phone. However, the calls do not appear on caller ID as the Fraud Hotline number of (800) 269-0271. Also, SSA and OIG employees will never threaten you for information or promise any type of official action in exchange for personal information or payment.  In those cases, the call is fraudulent, and you should just hang up.

If you receive a suspicious call from someone alleging to be from SSA or OIG, you should report that information to the OIG online at https://oig.ssa.gov/report or by calling (800) 269-0271, Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern Time. You can also report these scams to the Federal Trade Commission through a new site specific to Social Security scams:  https://identitytheft.gov/ssa

See the full advisory at the OIG website.

Tags: ,

Andrew Cannarsa, OIG Communications Director

Andrew Cannarsa, OIG Communications Director

Andrew Cannarsa, OIG Communications Director

Comments

1. Joyce L Myer

I received the first Social Security Association scam call that wasn’t on merely my voice mail. (I don’t usually answer 800 # calls.) When he said he was from SSA and said a few things I did hang up. BUT, I went to your website and there WAS a place with a phone number to call. On that number I was told unless I WAS SCAMMED, forget it. Fine, I just wanted to report the MANY calls that were rather threatening on my voice-mail. The automation device did not care. So much for that! I had been told that my Social Security Number would soon be discontinued. When I had listened to that message it was both frightening and it worried me but I had hadn’t anywhere to go but an “automated voice” that told me forget it if I had not been scammed. Thanks so much!

• Luis A., Public Affairs Specialist

Hi Joyce. Thanks for letting us know. Generally, we will only contact you if you have requested a call or have ongoing business with us. Recently, scams—misleading victims into making cash or gift card payments to avoid arrest for Social Security number problems—have skyrocketed. Our employees will never threaten you for information or promise a benefit in exchange for personal information or money.
      If you receive a suspicious call like this: 1) Hang up. 2) Do not provide personal information, money, or retail gift cards. 3) Report suspicious calls here. For more information on how to protect yourself, check out our Frequently Asked Questions. We hope this helps.

2. Linda Hays

I just received a call from someone that said they was from the social security office and had something against my social security card.I hang up but I do have the number from where they called .202-852-4790

• Luis A., Public Affairs Specialist

Hi Linda. Thanks for letting us know. Generally, we will only contact you if you have requested a call or have ongoing business with us. Recently, scams—misleading victims into making cash or gift card payments to avoid arrest for Social Security number problems—have skyrocketed. Our employees will never threaten you for information or promise a benefit in exchange for personal information or money.

3. jim

just recieved a call which i let go to my voice mail informing me that my social security number had been compermised. the number they gave to reply is 1-443-241-8775 . is this a fraudduelant number?

• Luis A., Public Affairs Specialist

Hi Jim. Thanks for letting us know. Generally, we will only contact you if you have requested a call or have ongoing business with us. Recently, scams—misleading victims into making cash or gift card payments to avoid arrest for Social Security number problems—have skyrocketed. Our employees will never threaten you for information or promise a benefit in exchange for personal information or money.

4. Sharon Dougherty

Received a call today from Social Security administration. Said they needed to speak to me. Number was 844-300-5600. Did not answer the call nor return it.

• Luis A., Public Affairs Specialist

Hi Sharon. Thanks for letting us know. Generally, we will only contact you if you have requested a call or have ongoing business with us. Recently, scams—misleading victims into making cash or gift card payments to avoid arrest for Social Security number problems—have skyrocketed. Our employees will never threaten you for information or promise a benefit in exchange for personal information or money.

5. ADRIENNE C, BURT

Is their an email address that I can send a telephone number for a fraud list. I receive, several times a day, calls from 1-800-845-8658 stating my SSN is going to be blocked because of suspicious activity. These crooks are so brazen the even leave voice messages.

• Luis A., Public Affairs Specialist

Hi Adrienne. Thanks for letting us know. Generally, we will only contact you if you have requested a call or have ongoing business with us. Recently, scams—misleading victims into making cash or gift card payments to avoid arrest for Social Security number problems—have skyrocketed. Our employees will never threaten you for information or promise a benefit in exchange for personal information or money.

6. Rachel Downum

Phone call from 877-300 -4255 claiming to be ssa

• Luis A., Public Affairs Specialist

Hi Rachel. Thanks for letting us know. Generally, we will only contact you if you have requested a call or have ongoing business with us. Recently, scams—misleading victims into making cash or gift card payments to avoid arrest for Social Security number problems—have skyrocketed. Our employees will never threaten you for information or promise a benefit in exchange for personal information or money.

7. Susan Hickman

I received a suspicious phone call from 8448374293 that identified as SS on caller ID. But when I realized it was suspicious I hung up. I then called back and the conversation again felt suspicious so I did not stay on line. Somehow, my caller ID then changed from SS to being IDd as Fit Bit and Madison at the Woodlands which are listed in my phone.

• Luis A., Public Affairs Specialist

Hi Susan. Thanks for letting us know. Generally, we will only contact you if you have requested a call or have ongoing business with us. Recently, scams—misleading victims into making cash or gift card payments to avoid arrest for Social Security number problems—have skyrocketed. Our employees will never threaten you for information or promise a benefit in exchange for personal information or money.

8. Barbara J Cotey

Received a call on 11/19/2019 at 11:08 AM on my cell phone from SSA administration saying my # has been suspended due to fraudulent activity on my account. Press 1 for more info which I did not do as I knew better. The call came from 1-524-896-2822

Hi, Barbara. Thanks for letting us know. Generally, we will only contact you if you have requested a call or have ongoing business with us. Recently, scams—misleading victims into making cash or gift card payments to avoid arrest for Social Security number problems—have skyrocketed. Our employees will never threaten you for information or promise a benefit in exchange for personal information or money.

9. Cathy Reyes

I received an e-mail it said it was from subscriptionservice@subscriptions.ssa.gov
    the subject said:
    Social Security Administration and its Inspector General Announce New Online Reporting
    I did not open it . I was not sure what to do or if it was from SSA.
    Is this real or a fraud?

10. Ghassan Al Mouhtadi

Can you call me as soon as possible I have something to tell about fraud social security and I need some one speak Arabic

• Luis A., Public Affairs Specialist

Hi Ghassan. Thanks for letting us know. Generally, we will only contact you if you have requested a call or have ongoing business with us. Recently, scams—misleading victims into making cash or gift card payments to avoid arrest for Social Security number problems—have skyrocketed. Our employees will never threaten you for information or promise a benefit in exchange for personal information or money.
      If you receive a suspicious call like this: 1) Hang up. 2) Do not provide personal information, money, or retail gift cards. 3) Even though we do not have someone who can contact you in Arabic, you may report suspicious calls here. For more information on how to protect yourself, check out our Frequently Asked Questions. We hope this helps.