Hit a Homerun with Social Security

June 12, 2017 • By

Last Updated: June 12, 2017

baseball player running A home run is a highlight of any baseball game. The fans cheer with excitement to see a player rocket the ball into the stands. So, what are you doing to prepare for your retirement home run? Your goal should be to get past 1st, 2nd & 3rd base and make it home with a hefty plate of savings.

Social Security has many tools to help you achieve financial security.

Take the first step and visit The benefit of having a my Social Security account is that it gives you access to your personal Social Security Statement, verification of correct earnings, and an estimate of your early retirement benefits at age 62, full retirement age of 66, and delayed age at 70.

We protect your information by using security features and strict identity verification to detect fraud. In several states, you can request a replacement Social Security card online. Find out if your state offers the service at

In addition to using your personal my Social Security account to prepare for a comfortable retirement, you can visit At myRA, you can access new retirement savings options from the Department of the Treasury. This service is designed for the millions of Americans who struggle with saving for retirement — it’s an easy and safe way to help you take control of your future.

myRA is designed for people who don’t have a retirement savings plan through their employer, or are limited from other savings options.  If your employer provides already set up a retirement savings plan, such as a 401(k), learn more about that plan’s potential for matching contributions or other benefits.

Since myRA isn’t connected to any employer, it allows workers to hold on to it when they move to different jobs. myRA makes your money grow faster than a traditional savings account.

Having both my Social Security and myRA accounts in place, you’re guaranteed to hit a home run in successfully planning for your future. Learn more about all of your choices at

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. ten

    My neighbor, who is in her 70’s, thinks that she cannot collect SS on her ex-spouse’s work record because her ex remarried. She was married to him for 25 years and he was the higher wage earner. My neighbor started collecting her SS at age 62 and that would make a difference as to how much, if any, she would receive. I think that back when she began to collect SS it was when you could collect separately, and now you must collect on your own work record and your ex-spouses at the same time. But, her spouse remarrying would not prevent her from collecting on his work record, if there’s anything to collect, is this correct? Thank you

    • DAVID L.

      Many spouses do not understand that they can collect on their ex-husband’s earning record even if he has re-married, provided they were married for at least 10 years. She should try first to contact SSA by phone. She will probably have to arrange to go to a SSA office, and take her marriage certification, and divorce certification.

      • ten

        Thank you!

      • Ray F.

        Great! Thank you for your comment and for supporting our blog David. As a reminder, we provide general information about our programs and many services are conveniently available anytime at our website. For instance, our Retirement Planner: If You Are Divorced web page, clearly supports the information you provided. Thanks again.

        • ten

          Thank you!

    • Ray F.

      If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse’s record even if they have remarried. Generally, during the initial interview to apply for Social Security benefits, we typically explore other possible eligibility that could result in a higher benefit amount for the applicant. Keep in mind that if someone is eligible for retirement benefits on their own record and divorced spouse’s benefits, we will pay the retirement benefit first. If the benefit on the ex-spouse’s record is higher, then the individual will get an additional amount on the ex-spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.
      To find out if she is eligible for a higher benefit, your neighbor can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 and speak to one of our agents. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Or she can visit the local Social security office. Thanks.

      • ten

        Thanks again!

      • Connie C.

        If I am 62, but my ex-husband is 61 this year can I qualify for his early retirement benefits or do I have to wait until he is at least 62 years old?

  2. Lesly F.

    I Charles my suggestion is that legaly in this country if your is permanent Legal documents.she’s possible qualify for benefits in your corverege status.because she’s your wife legaly.

  3. charles s.

    I receive a foreign supplement. my wife is retired but not a u.s citizen is my wife entitled to any payments.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Charles. Generally, individuals that are lawfully in the United States and meet all other eligibility requirements can receive Social Security benefits. Unfortunately and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot answer your question at this time. We probably need more information related to your “foreign supplement”, and how this could impact benefits for your wife. One of our representatives should be able to provide you and your wife with an explanation and answer specific questions about this matter. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. or contact your local Social Security office directly. Thanks.

  4. Delmar F.

    I am 61 and still living in my 22 year old car. I had a very bad stroke 9 years ago. The only thing that has not happened to me is I have not been raped….YET
    I get SSD, medicare. Thats it. The county of Bucks,Pa has the worst system that I ever had to deal with. I am paralyzed on my right side. Cant afford to see a doctor for my knocked out teeth ( 14 or more beat out of me ), eyes ( going far sighted ), leg brace (mine is 8 years old has to be taped on ), Groin is ripped and gut pops out ( got that while in a shelter where we all had a mega cough ) COME TO THINK ABOUT IT, can you recommend a lawyer?

  5. James S.

    My wife is my caretaker, will SS pay her for this help?

    • Jeff

      There is no provision in the Social Security Act to provide benefits for caregivers of the aged or disabled. However, you may want to contact your Social Services or Welfare department to determine if there are any locally sponsored programs that might provide assistance. They may also be able to provide you with the names of organizations that might help.

      You may also find help through the following Web sites:

      “Senior Citizens’ Resources” at: using:
      and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Administration on Aging at:
      Medicare also provides information for caregivers at

    • Ray F.

      Thank you for your question Mr. Umber. You and your wife may be eligible to receive additional assistance from the state where you live. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. You can also visit the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) web page for more information. We hope this helps.

  6. James S.

    My wife is my caretaker. Can she be paid SS for this? She does all household chores and drives to store and does errands. She drives me to the doctor. I am 81 yrs old, She is 70 years old.

    • James S.

      My wife is my caretaker, can she be paid SS for this? She does all household chores and drives to the store and does other chores for me. We are married and both live on SS.

  7. James S.

    I am 81 years old, my wife is a retired LPN and she takes care of me as I am partial disabled. I have edema in both of my lower legs and use a walker to get around. She doctors my lower legs with a lotion twice a day, I have too much trouble reaching low. If she could not do this I would not be able to doctor them. We live at our home. She is 70 years of age and is not disabled and does household chores. We are both on SSI. Can SS pay her for this?

    • Jeff

      There is no provision in the Social Security Act to provide benefits for caregivers of the aged or disabled. However, you may want to contact your Social Services or Welfare department to determine if there are any locally sponsored programs that might provide assistance. Medicare also provides information for caregivers. They may also be able to provide you with the names of organizations that might help, such as the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Administration on Aging.

  8. Nancy

    I am going to be 61 years old next month and live on SSDI. I go on Medicare 8/1/17 which will cause my insurance to go up $50 a month and I skip taking the 15 or around there pills I have to take daily in order to stretch them out. I live modestly in senior/disability housing and my vehicle is 14 years What do I have to look forward to when I turn 65? My SSI will go down about $500 making things that much worse. So I can’t save a dime when I’m scratching for change to buy necessities. Do you have any suggestions?

    • John

      Once your SS starts your SSI will go down that amount less $20.00. In other words you gain $20.00. If you are still eligible for some SSI then the State public Assistance Office will arrange for the State to pick up your Medicare premium. and you’ll still be on you won’t have to skip on your pills. By the way you should not be skipping on them now, MEDICAID shouldcover that cost.

    • Betty g.

      Nancy, talk to someone about Humana PPO health insurance. I’ve been very happy having them for the last 4 to 6 years.

      Presently I pay $51 a month and the insurance company gets around $100 that Social security pays Medicare. So it totals around $151 a month but only $51 a month out of our pocket.

      Many prescription drugs are on tier one and are free.

      So Humana PPO is your health insurance/Medicare together as one.

      A year ago I had knee replacement surgery costI got $42,000. I paid out-of-pocket $1200; quite a deal.

      When my husband was living he and I were paying 1200 a month for Blue Cross shield. They went up another $500 a month just too 1700 a month. Ridiculous.

      I went looking and found this at that time per $31 a month! Look at the thousands of dollars I saved that year alone with the tax person couldn’t believe it either

      Hope this info helps you on your decision making. From this Iowan. 😉

    • Ray F.

      Hi Nancy, Medicare enrollees who have limited income and resources may get help paying for their premiums and out-of-pocket medical expenses from Medicaid. Also, you may want to check and see if you are eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include Medicaid, which may help pay for medication that Medicare does not cover. Please call the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services at 1-800-633-4227 or your State Medical Assistance Office for more information. Thanks.

  9. Erma O.

    Is it possible to set up a “My Social Security” account to look at earnings and retirement information and still continue to receive SS statement and benefit letters by mail?

    • John


    • Ray F.

      Hi Erma. Our online services allow you to do business with us from the comfort of your home at your convenience. With instant access to your Social Security Statement at any time, you will no longer receive one periodically in the mail. In addition to getting a benefit verification letter online, with your personal my Social Security account, you will find that you can do a lot more, helping us save money and the environment. Thank you for Going Green!

  10. Katherine A.

    I am in no way prepared for retirement. Any assistance with this matter will be greatly appreciated.

    Katherine W.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Katherine. Our Retirement Planner provides detailed information about your Social Security retirement benefits. It also points out things you may want to consider as you prepare for the future. General information about our programs and services is conveniently available anytime at our website. You can also create a my Social Security account. With your personal my Social Security account, you can verify your earnings, get your Social Security Statement, and much more. We hope this helps!

      • jeff

        if you ever need disibilty have atleast 50,000 or more in bank before appling because after 2 and half years and dead broke you might get close my advice when you start working refuse to pay in and keep your money in bank. remember refuse to pay social security

Comments are closed.