General, Online Services, Social Security Number and Card, SSI

Getting Married Soon? Give Social Security Your New Name

June 2, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

Wedding-SeasonEvery year, June marks the beginning of two busy seasons: summer and “wedding season.” With joyful expectation, many of us have already marked our calendars and started wrapping up our plans for the vacations, ceremonies, and honeymoons. While the betrothed work out the details, Social Security wants to remind them about one detail that’s extremely important: the “record” Social Security keeps of your life’s earnings.

For many people, a wedding often means a name change is in order. If you are legally changing your name, you need to apply for a replacement Social Security card reflecting your new name. If you’re working, also tell your employer. That way, Social Security can keep track of your earnings history as you go about living your wonderful new life.

If you have reported income under your former or maiden name, and didn’t inform us of a change, we might not have received an accurate W-2 and your earnings may have been recorded incorrectly. This is easier to fix now — when you first change your name — than years from now when you retire, when it may cause delays in receiving your benefits. This is important because we base your future benefits on your earnings record. So, visit our website at, or call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), to find out what specific documents you need to change your name and to apply for a replacement card.

Last year, the Supreme Court issued a decision in Obergefell v. Hodges, holding that same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry regardless of where they live within the United States. As a result, Social Security recognizes more same-sex couples as married for purposes of determining entitlement to Social Security benefits or eligibility for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments. We recently updated instructions for employees to process claims and appeals when a determination of marital status is necessary.

With these changing rules, we encourage anyone who believes they may be eligible for benefits to apply now. You can learn more about our policies for same-sex couples at

After the honeymoon, you can focus on your career or starting a family, moving to a new home, and securing a well-deserved retirement. Now, you’re all set. Let the celebrations begin!

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. Christian O.

    That’s alright Sir. I Will abide with the Rules and Regulations. THANKS

  2. Christian O.

    I likes to Marry from my Country NIGERIA or USA when i came for Studies at Marymount University

  3. Patricia J.

    I have married a British citizen and have kept my name as it has been on my SS form and driving license and passport. When filling out the annual form for the SS ADMINISTRATION Do I still fill in as not married as the name has not changed? Thanks

  4. Amy r.

    My boyfriend is on ssi ssd and iamon ssi will our disabilty change

    • Ray F.

      For someone who is receiving Supplemental Security Income or SSI, being married or even if living together but not legally married may affect his or her benefits. This is because the SSI benefit amount we pay is affected by your living arrangements. We also take into consideration a couple’s income, and resources for SSI benefits.
      For the person receiving Social Security disability insurance (SSDI) benefits, marriage or living arrangements does not affect his or her benefit. These benefits are based on your work activity and earnings prior to becoming disabled, and are not subject to income and resource limits.

      • Smith

        My husband and i are seperated both disabled but he wants to move in but still separated will that affect our disability income

        • Jenna Y.

          Good question. Moving in together will not affect your Disability Benefits (SSDI). However, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits are based, in part, on your living arrangements and the number of people in the household. Therefore, if either of you are receiving SSI benefits, it is important to let us know promptly when any change occurs. Visit here to find your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  5. tony

    Primary Care Physician don’t treat people with a severe mental illness. They refer them to a specialist (psychologist /psychiatrist).

  6. tony

    Continuing Disability — The issue of “failure” may arise at the time of a continuing disability investigation where (1) subsequent to a prior favorable determination based on information indicating the individual was cooperating with prescribed treatment, the individual failed to follow through on such treatment or (2) treatment has been prescribed since the last determination. Such situations will require the same documentation as that outlined above to determine if “failure” exists and if it is justifiable. Benefits will be continued for 2 months after the month in which a determination of cessation occurs.

    The married person with kid suckered the SSA with these mental illness claim. They claim that their spouse or parents take care of the kid. They go see a psychologist /psychiatrist for treatment. They got approved for this level of treatment.

    Once they are approved, they stop seeing a psychologist /psychiatrist for treatment and just see a Primary Care Physician (PCP). They trick the SSA. They wouldn’t have been approved by just seeing the PCP so the went to a psychologist /psychiatrist. Now that they are approved, they don’t need to see them anymore.

  7. AdeLaid D.

    soon i will be getin married to raise my kids’future their will be a pilot,marine,doctor, success america.

  8. Amy S.

    I’m a stay at home wife and my husband gets ssi. If I’m not bringing any money in will his check stay the same? We just got married.

  9. John.Machamer

    My step brother died 4.27.16. His May check came. I gave the undertaker $400 and paying the rest.myself. Could not get ins. Caregivers can’t be beneficiary. Lost 1900 in escrow. 2000 in new furniture I bought him for xmas. I am living on someones floor now. You chargeback the funeral home and say I owe you $385.This is so cruel.Not even the $255 burial check. The electric bill for.april was.360. The gas 300. Lost 1900 escrow cause I didnt give 30 day notice. Like I knew he was gonna die. 2000 for new furniture. I got him for xmxmasI am 60 and can’t. Carry it out. We just moved in Nov.27. You give money my ttaxes to people who never paid a dime into it. My brother and I worked since we were 13. Please revise your decision. Why are you so cruel? I loved my brother and never left his side in 40 years.
    Thank you

  10. Marilyn A.

    I am recently divorced. My married name was Marilyn Willis. I am returning to my maiden name, Marilyn Ackerman.
    What do I need to do?
    Thank you.

    • Lorrie

      i am looking for the same info on name change. 3 husbands have died and I now wish to retain and keep my maiden name. How do I go about changing this????

Comments are closed.