Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

Now that it’s tax season, you might be gathering all of your forms and documentation from the previous year. Sometimes getting all that material together — receipts for donations, business expenses, and travel — can be overwhelming. And losing one vital piece can take up time that you might not be able to spare.

The Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) or Benefit Statement is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year, so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return. Luckily, Social Security has you covered. If you live in the United States and you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S tax form, simply go online and get an instant, printable copy of your form with a my Social Security account.

A Social Security1042S (SSA-1042S) is for a noncitizen who lives outside the United States and received or repaid Social Security benefits last year.

If you have a question, want help finding the information you need, or just can’t figure out how to do something online, another way to get in touch with us is by calling our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. We provide an automated service option to handle some business, but you can also speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.

Tax season can be a stressful time for some, but we’ve tried to make it easier for you. Remember to share this information with friends and family. If you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S, go online and get a replacement form with a my Social Security account.


318 thoughts on “Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

  1. Hi I’m going crazy. Been on the website , been on the phone and unable to communicate (3 hours already) I need a copy of my ssa1099 form for my taxes. Please help me. Thanks,

    Angie Del Castillo

  2. Can’t get a copy of any personal forms if you can’t get into your account because of Representative’s mistake and locking account when he was trying to help me. Needed form to change email account and that is no where to be found. In other words the only option is to sit on the phone for 45 plus min or more to get to a person who cannot help you! This is of no Help!

    • Hi Charlotte. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.


  4. Sirs:
    Please send Mrs. Lydia Plaza Rosade *** – ** – *** SA1099 2019 to Jardines del Caribe 27W21 Ponce, P.R. 00728

  5. I would like to receive a current statement for what I have put into social security and what I would receive at retirement age. How do I go about this during the pandemic?

    • Hi Stephanie, thanks for using our blog. Social Security has an online calculator called a Retirement Estimator that provides immediate retirement benefit estimates based on your actual Social Security earnings record. Plus, it also allows you to create “what if” scenarios. You can, for example, change your “stop work” dates or expected future earnings to create and compare different retirement alternatives.

      If you sign in or create a my Social Security account, you can use the Retirement Calculator which gives you the ability to plan for your future and compare your individualized retirement benefit estimates at age 62, Full Retirement Age (FRA), and age 70 with various scenarios that you select. Your retirement estimates are provided in both written and chart form.

      Check out our Benefits Planner: Retirement web page for more on obtaining benefit estimates.

  6. I did not receive my 2019 statement 1099 or my husbands
    Joanne Prevost Anzalone
    Theodore v Anzalone
    1 Overlook Rd Stoneham MA 02180
    Trying to file my taxes I am on extension

    Can I get them by this request or should I do something else?

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *