Certain Disability Payments and Workers’ Compensation May Affect Your Social Security Benefits

January 17, 2020 • By

Last Updated: January 17, 2020

" "Many people working nowadays have more than one job. This means they have several sources of income. It’s important to keep in mind that having multiple sources of income can sometimes affect your Social Security benefits; but, it depends on the source.

Disability payments from private sources, such as private pensions or insurance benefits, don’t affect your Social Security disability benefits. Workers’ compensation and other public disability benefits, however, may reduce what you receive from Social Security. Workers’ compensation benefits are paid to a worker because of a job-related injury or illness. These benefits may be paid by federal or state workers’ compensation agencies, employers, or by insurance companies on behalf of employers.

Public disability payments that may affect your Social Security benefits are those paid from a federal, state, or local government for disabling medical conditions that are not job-related. Examples of these are civil service disability benefits, state temporary disability benefits, and state or local government retirement benefits that are based on disability.

Some public benefits don’t affect your Social Security disability benefits. If you receive Social Security disability benefits, and one of the following types of public benefits, your Social Security benefits will not be reduced:

  • Veterans Administration benefits;
  • State and local government benefits, if Social Security taxes were deducted from your earnings; or
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

You can read How Workers’ Compensation and Other Disability Payments May Affect Your Benefits to find out about the possible ways your benefits might be reduced.

Please be sure to report changes. If there is a change in the amount of your other disability payment, or if those benefits stop, please notify us right away. Tell us if the amount of your workers’ compensation or public disability payment increases or decreases. Any change in the amount or frequency of these benefits is likely to affect the amount of your Social Security benefits.

An unexpected change in benefits can have unintended consequences. You can be better prepared if you’re informed and have financially prepared yourself. Visit our benefits planner for information about your options for securing your future.

See Comments

About the Author

Mike Korbey, Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Mike Korbey, Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Michael E Lomax

    I suffered a stroke while I was on the faculty at the University of Iowa. Do I qualifed for workman’s compensation since I am unable to work.

    • Tanya Rodich

      Mr. Cole,
      If Mrs. Cole’s disability began July 2018 her first check would have been December 2018. This would allow her Medicare coverage to begin December 2020 for both Part A (hospital) and Part B (supplementary medical). When you retire at age 62 Medicare coverage based on age would begin in the month you turn 65. You both receive your own benefit independent of the other.

    • Tanya Rodich

      Professor Lomax,
      Workers’ compensation is payable if you were actually injured at school. The University is required to pay insurance premiums as your employer. Check with your local social security office when you file for Title II disability benefits.

    • Tanya Rodich

      Dr. Lomax,
      If you were injured while teaching at school, you would qualify for workers’ compensation. The University pays workers’ comp premiums on behalf of all their employees. When you file for disability benefits we will calculate your benefits and then offset for workers’ compensation so the sum does not exceed 80% of your average monthly wage. Check with the social security office when you file.

    • Ann C., Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi, Michael. We are sorry to hear about your condition. For worker’s compensation questions, you will need to contact your employer. Thanks!

  2. antonio Cruz altamirano

    report fraud my dad is fraud user

    • Ann C., Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi, Antonio. Social Security takes reports of fraud very seriously. If you suspect fraud, visit here to learn what information you need to submit a fraud report. Thanks!

  3. Charles A Peterson

    If I continue to work after 65 and having stared to receive Social Security benefits, does it affect my benefits? I have continued t work since 65, when I filed for Social Security. I have now worked for 15 more years and paid the maximum each year. Would that increase my benefits?

    • Donna Powell

      Keep working but inform the Administration of your employment

    • Ann C., Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi, Charles. Each year we review the records for all working Social Security recipients to see if additional earnings may increase monthly benefits. If your earnings for the prior year are higher than one of the years we used to figure your retirement benefit, we will recalculate your benefit amount. Generally, we will send a letter explaining any increase in your benefit amount. For more information about working while receiving benefits, visit here. If you have additional questions, please call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. or contact your local office directly for further assistance.

  4. Ken Ogle

    I would be very interested what I would have to do and who I would have to see.

  5. Brenda Hulse

    Why do some people NOT have to pay income taxes and some do. I know people that make more than my husband and I but say they dont have to pay because they are retired. So are we.

  6. David Sussman

    I just turned 65. I’d like to know what my benefits are.

    • Ann C., Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi, David. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. Generally, you will have a shorter wait if you call later in the day. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  7. Javier P Alonso

    You send me these emails yet I can’t open an account something is very wrong at the social security administration and if you can’t fix my small problem you will never fix any of the problems in your department and thier are many.

    • Ann C., Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi, Javier. We are sorry to hear you have had difficulty creating a personal my Social Security account. If you are still unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your personal my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  8. James W Pennington & Terry D Pennington.

    I have had 8 major operations and now need two knee operations so that I can go back to work & pay my bills. I haven’t been able to work for the last 6 years, my medical bills and medicines for me (75) and my wife Terry (73) are over wellming.

    • Steve Clemens

      For both of you…ages 75 and 73 you are Medicare eligible, as well as Part D drug coverage. You should contact a SHIIP representative to help you with your available benefits. You may be eligible for Medicare/Medicaid/SSI benefits. Check your local directory for locations.



    • Steve Clemens

      Depending on her age and work history, she should apply for SSDI/Social Security Disability Ins benefits. Weather or not she is eligible for home assistance depends on her Dr’s recommendation as well as what benefits she may be eligible for.

    • Ann C., Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi, George. Your wife may be eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. To find out whether she may qualify and if she needs to file a separate application call the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services at 1-800-633-4227 (TTY, 1-877-486-2048). She can also get information about services in her area from her state or local social services or welfare office. We hope this helps.

  10. Diane K Kafka

    Thank you for reminding me of that.

Comments are closed.