Disability, General

You Can Help Social Security Make a Difference

December 20, 2018 • By

Last Updated: December 20, 2018

"  "This holiday season is the perfect time to reflect on our less fortunate and most vulnerable citizens.

Life is unpredictable, and everyone is susceptible to experiencing homelessness. It can happen to people in our community — like colleagues and military veterans. It can affect close friends and even family members. It can also happen to people who could be too proud to ask for help.

When homelessness happens, Social Security is there. We pay benefits to people with disabilities who are experiencing homelessness and have accumulated enough credits from work to qualify through our disability program. Social Security also pays benefits through the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. SSI is a means-tested program for people with disabilities who meet the financial guidelines, but haven’t worked enough to qualify for Social Security disability benefits.

People experiencing homelessness have the same rights and privileges when they apply for benefits as someone who has a permanent shelter. If a person is experiencing homelessness, their benefits can be deposited directly into a personal banking account or another electronic account. It can also be mailed to a third party. A relative or other third party can be assigned as their representative payee.

Our website offers vital information for people experiencing homelessness and their service providers. There, you can find information about housing and applications for Social Security benefits.

At Social Security, we are committed to be there with you throughout life’s journey. You can help us make a positive change in someone’s life. Please help us spread this message about our services. Share this information with your loved ones and anyone who could need it. Together, we can make a difference.

Happy Holidays.

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Donald F.

    Asroon ; Buying and selling iron, all kinds of bar, profiles, beam, sheets, angel, and chanel with daily price list. قیمت میلگرد میانه

  2. David V.

    What is actually important? Is Social security or social distance? Human being is marked with the big question.

  3. Craig H.

    On my tax return it’s say date of birth does not match social security info please help

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Craig. You will need to visit the local Social Security office or the nearest Card Center in your area, complete an application and submit evidence of age and evidence of identity to support the correction. We’ll need to see a certified copy of your birth certificate to correct your date of birth on our records. Your valid State ID or Driver’s License or your U.S. passport can be used as proof of identification. We hope this helps.

  4. Kay W.

    Will I lose SSA benefits at 70 to marry a 66 year old widower?

    • Luis A.

      Thanks for your question, Kay. If you receive retirement or Social Security disability insurance (SSDI) benefits, your marriage will not affect your benefit. If you are receiving SSI, widow or widower’s benefits, your marriage may affect your benefit. To learn more about how marriage affects benefits, check out our Frequently Asked Questions. We hope this helps.

  5. Regina M.

    Across this nation there are many people with empty bed rooms in homes that would like to loan them to those in need. But due to State & Local regulations can’t. Those regulations need to change to allow those want to open their homes can do so. A vetting process would need to be established so neither party is endangered or taken advantage of & are well paired. It would provide needed company & assistance while providing much needed shelter, food & basic utilities to those in need.

    Possibly some type of tax credit could be granted to each party.

  6. Ana M.

    I would like to state, after not being able to work for a few years due to illness and having gone through all the necessary steps with social security, I was literally about to become homeless on the very day I called social security and explained my situation and I am so grateful that the person with whom I spoke, heard my dire situation and took action to get me the money I had been waiting for and I was able to avoid eviction and did not end up homeless like many others have.

    To this day, I am very grateful and although I worked hard for many years, I do not take any of this for granted.

  7. Martha S.

    How can get the rest of my back pay i won’t get. Until July i need sooner. I don’t need. All. I just want. $2500. I need it. For deposit. I moveing i have until April 8th. What is the process to get my back pay . Martha S Ricca . (831)2768272

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Martha. Unfortunately, your issue is a bit more than we can handle in this forum. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can contact your local Social Security office. You can also call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. Generally, you will have a shorter wait if you call later in the day. Just a reminder – please be cautious about posting personal information on social media. We hope this helps.

  8. Sandy

    I have 36 credits and need 40. Can I get part of my social security when I turn 62

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Sandy. Generally, you will need to have 40 credits, or 10 years of work paying Social Security taxes, to qualify for any type of Social Security benefit. In addition, to qualify for disability benefits, you generally need to have worked for five out of the last 10 years before you became disabled. The rules are different for younger workers who become disabled. For a complete explanation of credits needed for the different types of benefits, visit our Benefits Planner: Social Security Credits. Thanks.

  9. Charlie

    Why can’t a US citizen, fully Social Security qualified, currently living in Canada be able to set up a “My Social Security” online account?
    No access is archaic!

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Charlie, thank you for your question. At this time you must have a U. S. mailing address to create or access your online account. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet.

      Even though you are unable to create or access a my Social Security account, you may still file for benefits online.

      For additional assistance, please use the Canadian Service Area Directory to determine which Resident Office is near you.

  10. Traci A.

    When I first started on disability my review was said to be every 3 years. I’m now going to be 59 this year. How can I get it changed to a 5 or 7 year review? I have student loans I would like to have forgiven but can’t. I am unable to work due to Minere’s disease. And other medical issues. I have been on disability since 2010.
    I only ask this because SSI is my only real income, I do receive a small retirement under $200 a month. After having 2 seizures I am becoming forgetful and almost forgot to reapply for my income based payment plan I have to do each year. I couldn’t afford a student loan payment and would really love to apply for forgiveness.

    Thank you
    Traci Wilson

    • Yeni

      Hello Traci, you are not alone on this battle. I get $750 which changed to $771 this year (2019), rent is $500/mo, utilities $80/mo, food is $10 (Foodstamps), and student loans $40,000… I live alone in an apartment… yet so far no help towards the student loans pardon because of being every 2yrs instead of 7yrs review…

Comments are closed.