COVID-19, General

Update on Our Reentry Plans

December 22, 2021 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: December 22, 2021

Social Security Administration LogoWe want to give you an update on our preparations for returning our employees to local Social Security offices, a process called reentry.

You may have seen a proposed reentry date of January 3, 2022 in the draft reentry plan that we provided to our unions, or in the media. While some executives reentered on December 1, we have not set a reentry date for the rest of the agency.

The best way to reach us is online at, or by calling our National 800 Number or a local Social Security office. At this time, please remember that we can only provide in-person service by appointment only for limited, critical issues. And we continue to hold voluntary hearings by online video and phone. We are taking steps to increase in-person help for people unable to complete their business online or by phone.

We will keep you updated on our reentry process.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Darlynda Bogle, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Bonnie C.

    When do you plan to catch up on the months of documents you haven’t scanned yet? next month you start taking medicare i don’t need from me and I submitted my forms showing i didn’t want part B in plenty of time. Get back into the office and do your work. YOu are costing taxpayers money

  2. Wilton T.

    I am a retired military I here that we can draw extra social security is this true?

    • A.C.

      Hi, Wilton.  If you were in the active military service from 1957 through 1967, special extra earnings are added to your earnings record when you apply for Social Security benefits. If your active duty was after 1967, the extra earnings are already on your record. There are no special extra earnings credits for military service after 2001. For more information, please visit our Retirement Planner. We hope this helps. 

  3. Deborah B.

    I am unable to sign-in to my account, or to register (if that is necessary with this new website) because it is only available during SPECIFIC HOURS, not 24/7. This seems unusual for a website, let alone access to our Social Security accounts. Not everyone can conform to certain hours (I am presently outside of the country).

    This does not seem to be an anomaly – in trying to sign-in, a window opens says that sign-ins cannot be processed outside of operating hours.

    • A.C.

      Hi, Deborah. We’re sorry for any inconvenience. To create a personal my Social Security account, you need a U.S. address. Since you are living outside of the U.S., you can contact your local Federal Benefits Unit for any assistance related to Social Security benefits. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad. We hope this helps.

  4. Sheila P.

    Hello I’m try to get copy of my sos card for my new apartment they said I have to have it like ASAP I just need a print out how can I get it this week please

    • ssa

      we will help you on
      kindly mail the office

    • A.C.

      Hi, Sheila. First, realize that you may not need a replacement card. You will rarely need to show it. Knowing the Social Security number is what is important. To see if you’re eligible to apply for a replacement Social Security card online or to learn more on the process and what documents you will need to get a card please visit our a Social Security Number and Card page. If you need further assistance, please contact your local Social Security office. Please also be aware all answers from the Social Security Administration contain our official seal. If you do not see our seal on a post, it did not come from the Social Security Administration. We hope this helps. 

  5. SANDRA M.

    My next SS check is on 1-26-22
    When Feb comes I will be living in BATTLE CREEK, MI WHEN MY FEB SS CHECK COMES ON 2-22-22. I will be moving in
    my B.C., MI APT ON 2-12-22 WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
    Sandra Shade

    • ssa

      we will be waiting for your mail

    • A.C.

      Hi, Sandra. If you are receiving Social Security retirement or disability, you can create a personal my Social Security account to change your address online. If you are receiving Supplemental Security Income, you should contact your local Social Security office immediately. Also, please beware all answers from the Social Security Administration contain our official seal. If you do not see our seal on a post, it did not come from the Social Security Administration.We hope this helps.

  6. Vidya

    Hello , I need to apply social security card for my daughter who is 12 years old actually the card is sent when the green card got processed but we never received her card so now I need to apply it myself. I am trying to call them since last week every day to get an appointment but I am on hold for more than hour and then the phone line gets cut or if after long wait they take the call they tell me to hold and then just hang up
    I really don’t know how to get that appointment as without appointment I cannot apply for her card 🙁
    Can anyone suggest me any solution please

    • Warren

      You could try calling the local office to see if you haven’t tried that the 800 772 1213 takes long if you know her social security number you could try to set her up with a online account from the my social security account you can request social security card hope this helps

    • A.C.

      Hi, Vidya. We are sorry to hear that. Please check out our Frequently Asked Questions fior information about how to replace a Social Security card for a child. We hope this helps. 

  7. Pamela S.

    I need help getting into my account. I do everything it says but it says my information is on another account. I need to see what I am getting for Social Security benefits. I want to change my account to have everything mailed because I can never log in to my account. So very upsetting

    • A.C.

      Hi, Pam. We are sorry to hear you have had difficulty accessing your personal my Social Security account. If you are still unable to access your account or encounter a problem with your personal my Social Security account, please call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “help desk.” We hope this helps.

  8. Lawanda M.

    I need to change my last name on my social security card. I called today and waited and waited without getting an answer on the phone. Please help. Thank you.

    • A.C.

      Hi, Lawanda. We are sorry to hear that. For information on how to change your name on your Social Security card, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions. We hope this helps. 

  9. Carolyn A.

    Have 2022 awards letter been mailed yet i have not receive one

    • A.C.

      Hi, Carolyn. You may be able to access it via the Message Center in your personal my Social Security account if you created it by November 17, 2021. You can also call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. We hope this helps. 

  10. Virginia W.

    I am currently drawing ss benefits and survivor’s benefits. I am 64 years old. Can I apply for disability benefits now?

    • A.C.

      Hi, Virginia. Disability benefits are paid to people who are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last one year or more or end in death. For adults, we use a five-step evaluation process to decide whether you are disabled. We consider any current work activity you are doing, your medical condition, and how it affects your ability to work. If you think you are disabled, you can file for disability benefits. Since you are currently receiving benefits, you can call us to set up an appointment at 1-800-772-1213 from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.. Monday through Friday or contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps. 

Comments are closed.