COVID-19, General

Update on Our Reentry Plans

December 22, 2021 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: December 22, 2021

Social Security Administration LogoWe want to give you an update on our preparations for returning our employees to local Social Security offices, a process called reentry.

You may have seen a proposed reentry date of January 3, 2022 in the draft reentry plan that we provided to our unions, or in the media. While some executives reentered on December 1, we have not set a reentry date for the rest of the agency.

The best way to reach us is online at, or by calling our National 800 Number or a local Social Security office. At this time, please remember that we can only provide in-person service by appointment only for limited, critical issues. And we continue to hold voluntary hearings by online video and phone. We are taking steps to increase in-person help for people unable to complete their business online or by phone.

We will keep you updated on our reentry process.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Darlynda Bogle, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. JME D.

    If while waiting to be approved for SSI, and SSA decided to give you your check for 6 month. After you’re approved for SSI does that money have to be paid back.

    • Pounce

      SSI. SSI payments accrue at the application date. So SSI will not have to be repaid to SSA. However, if you are paid by the state that is called an interim assistance payment and it has to be paid back to the state.

    • Ann C.

      Hi. Unfortunately, your question is a bit more complex than we can handle in this forum. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. Generally, you will have a shorter wait if you call later in the day. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  2. S.Hagan

    Is there an email address where I can send a tax withholding voucher? Local offices are not open.

    • Ann C.

      Hi. Thanks for your question. In order to have taxes withheld from your Social Security benefit, you must start by printing, completing and submitting an IRS Voluntary Withholding Request Form (Form W-4V). On this form, you can choose to have 7, 10, 12, or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld. The Form W-4V (to withhold federal taxes from your Social Security benefits) can be returned to your local Social Security office by mail. Please see our Benefits Planner: Withholding Income Tax From Your Social Security Benefits web page for more information. We hope this helps.

  3. Gary S.

    Where can I file form SSA-44? Your Office is not open.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Gary. Social Security offices are currently open only for in-person appointments for limited, critical situations. We are unable to accept walk-in visitors. You can submit documents by mail to your local Social Security office. We hope this helps. 

  4. Michelle

    Will my dates that i receive my ssi check change this month.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Michelle. Our payment schedule has not changed. For most Social Security benefits, payment dates are based on your birthdate. We issue SSI payments at the beginning of the month. Check out our blog, What Day of the Month Do I Get My Social Security Payment, for more information. We hope this helps. 

  5. Ronni G.

    How do I get a statement from Social Security for 2021 Benefits Received. I would like to do my income taxes. Thank you.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Ronni. It sounds like you are referring to the SSA-1099, tax form Social Security mails each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits.  If for any reason you do not receive your SSA-1099 in the mail, you can request a replacement SSA-1099/1042S for Tax Year 2021 by visiting your personal my Social Security account beginning February 1. We hope this helps.

  6. JHThompson

    We file jointly and my husband retired in April 2022. Therefore our joint income has been greatly reduced. We’d like to both ask for our Medicare Part B and Part D IRMAA be reduced based on our lower income in 2022. How do we do that?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, JH. Thanks for your question. For more information about rules for higher-income beneficiaries and what to do if your income has gone down, please visit our Premiums: Rules for Higher-Income Beneficiaries page. We hope this helps. 

  7. Marilyn J.

    Please send information on medicare A and mail ***-**-**** . Marilyn Johnson.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Marilyn. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. Please visit our Medicare Benefits page for more information about the parts of Medicare and how to apply. We hope this helps.  

  8. Jennifer J.

    Where do I mail my documents to have a name change on my ssn card…or do u have appointments for this?

    • Lisa

      I have the same question, thanks for asking!

    • Erica

      Same predicament.

      • Leah F.

        Ditto ^^

    • Lisa

      Take your current state issued driver’s license, social security card, and copy of legal documents that provided the name change. Examples; legal marriage documents, divorce documents and original birth certificate, legal court documents noting legally approved name change. You will take these to your local SS office, an appointment may be required, so call first.

      • JoAnna R.

        Thats the procedure…
        To bad they make it impossible to make an appt.
        Glorified, paid vacation for them.

    • LAKISHA P.

      depending on the city and state mail the application to the address listed on it or the agency where you picked it up from

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Jennifer. Thanks for your question. You can mail your documents and application for a corrected Social Security card to your local office. For more information on how to apply for a name change, please check out our Frequently Asked Questions. We hope this helps. 

  9. elizabeth r.

    como solicito la tarjeta de seguro social de mi hijo que aun no recibo ya que imigracion solo me envio su permiso pero no su social security poor favor necesito ayuda

  10. Russell B.

    How can I look at my ssi statements

    • Lucie

      Good question

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Russell. It sounds like you are referring to your Social Security Statement. Your statement is available to view online by creating a personal my Social Security account. We hope this helps. 

Comments are closed.