Social Security Serves Nearly 41 Million Visitors a Year in 1,400 Offices Across the Nation!



77 thoughts on “Social Security Serves Nearly 41 Million Visitors a Year in 1,400 Offices Across the Nation!

  1. Thank- you very much for your support and communication to us Baby Boomers.
    I am now 70 &1/2 ( born 9 months after the victory in Japan) and I was forced by my Law Partners to retire when I was 68 and 2 months old.
    I am receiving my Soc. Sec monthly and I think it is near the max. It is very important for me now… because I eat right and exercise hard 5-6 days a doctor says… I will probably live to be over 100.
    Note: I am a deal maker and a problem solver and I am still working hard to help our new very Historically Practical Leaders to save Maryland and the US.

  2. who do I talk to about what is the best age for me and my wife to start getting Soc Sec? I turn 64 on Thanksgiving, 2016

    • Hi Eli. There are a lot of factors that go into deciding when to retire, each individual case can be different, and the decision on when to file is a personal one. We provide a variety of benefit-calculators to help you plan for the future. You can use our Retirement Planner and you can also create a my Social Security account to verify your earnings, get your Social Security Statement, and much more.

      If you wish to speak to someone for further assistance, call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.

  3. My brother in law has stage 4 liver and colon cancer.Terminal Cancer. he has been denied 3 times due to being self employed. He has paid in the system and receives loetters telling him what he will make at retirement. He is an emotional wreck due to the illness and the strain of knowing he is dying and can’t help his wife with bills. I am a nurse and find this unacceptable for someone who is already emotionally drained and depressed. The system needs some serious work.

    • I am sorry for your brother’s situation, but you must read the rules carefully. A disability determination is based on having a condition that prevents substantial work. Congress makes the laws and they decided a person will be found “disabled” within the law only after the disabling condition(s) prevent a certain level of employment or self-employment. The rules therefore create a scenario where a person hanging in there still working above a certain level and who wants to know when Social Security disability will start is actually preventing himself from being found eligible. It is NOT about being sick. It IS about being sick enough that a certain level of work is unattainable. Voting has consequences. If you want this to change start working with others to have Congress change the law. The people working at SSA are powerless to change or ignore the law provided by the people you and everyone else elect to office or have placed in federal judgeships by those elected as well.

  4. I would like to draw my Social Security but under the WEP if I drew Social Security as I am a retired state government worker , I would lose 90% of my social Security. That law needs changing badly; many low wage worker, teachers don’t qualify for their spouses Social Security because of this law.

    • Telling an agency that you don’t like the law ultimately is not going to accomplish anything as the agency cannot change the law. Most Americans have been provided basic education on how government works. You should probably think about helping organize like-suffering people like yourself and taking the fight to the people you elected to office. Unfortunately, if you elected people who are reducing government to average Americans (unlike to those they take cash contributions from), then you are in kind of a pickle then. When the voting public decides what it actually wants, perhaps elections may start to once again reflect the popular will and the benefits of government may be more equally distributed.

  5. I’ve been on SSDI since 2009. I had a great job and I was a big producer for my company. Always meeting my Sales Quota, Brought in 20 New Clients per month and more at times. I had a terrible accident that left most of my Cervical Discs cracked or broken. By the “Grace of God” I endured a 14 hour surgery. My tenacity kept me busy in improving my neck and its ability to turn to each side and raise and bend my neck. I didn’t have the range of motion that most have, however I was happy to accomplish what my ranges are.
    I worked for a Fortune 500 Company and had the best of best Medical Insurance. I went back to work on the last month and quickly realized that my injury was still in the healing stages. I worked 1/2 days for a month and then I had to comply with the Corporate Rules and work full time. This was ok with me, however the Company kept my Sales Quota at 350k and capped at 10k. This was also not a problem. When I began working full time, the CEO told my boss, not to give me back 50 of my clients. There were words between my boss and CEO. My boss tried to sway the CEO to do the right thing and give me my Clients.
    Without clients, I could not make my Sales Quota of 350k, capped a 10k. On December 31st, 2008, I was discharged for “Non-Production. I should have filed a lawsuit, however I decided not to. I had too many personal things to do and left quietly. If I did file a lawsuit, I would have won due to the company not keeping me as I was disabled, however I could do my job.
    I haven’t worked since then and in 2012 I returned to college and obtained an Accounting Degree. I haven’t been able to use it, until now.
    I’ve been told that I can work full time for 9 months in any year. I am going to work this year, however I believe that I’ll stay with Part-Time as I do not wish to lose my SSDI.
    My question is two fold. I broke my right lumbar in half in 2015 and do I need to get that information to Social Security and how much can I actually make each without endangering my SSDI.

    • Social Security strongly supports those individuals who want to return to the work force while supplementing their disability benefit income. We have Work Incentives that allow people to work and still receive their benefits. A person may still be eligible for disability benefits under the Social Security Disability Insurance program if they work. However, their earnings cannot exceed a certain amount. This is called the Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) limit. In 2016, the SGA limit is $1,130 per month (or $1,820 for blind applicants). In addition to the amount of money you make, Social Security may also look at the number of hours you’re able to work. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and speak with one of our representatives for further assistance. We hope this information helps.

  6. Now that Trump is going to become President, is the SSA still going to proceed with Obama’s executive order to take guns away from the mentally ill on Social Security. The Trump administration might appoint a new Social Security Commissioner and get rid of the Acting Commissioner. Then the new Commissioner will clean up house and bring in their own people.

  7. My Social security checks have been stopped since I returned to my native country. Am still sick with the head injury that I sustained in a automobile accident I can’t remember things anymore and I am diabetic. I reapply for the the continuation of my checks from no answer from usa. Please help am slowly dying my health as degenerated please help I can’t afford to buy medication for my diabetes my family’s says am mentally sick they don’t want me around them I go from one family to the other please save my life.

  8. I fall under the WEP provision and went to my local Social Security office (with an appointment) to get a more indepth understanding of how WEP will impact my Social Security. Upon arriving for my appt, I requested to have a one-to-one interview but was told that was not an option… I could only speak to a window person and ask my questions at the window. Does the Social Security offices provide time for complex situations? Do different SS offices have ‘window’ only vs inside offices for complex situations? thanks.

    • We are sorry for any inconvenience, Frank. Some of our local offices do offer walk-in appointments; however, these appointments are limited and are available on a first come, first serve basis.
      Remember, you can find information related to your Social Security retirement benefits at our website. Our Information for Government Employees web page, provides specific information on how the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) can affect your Social Security benefits.
      You can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 and speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. We hope this helps.

    • Hi Vickie, please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 and speak to one of our agents. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week.
      Remember, many services are conveniently available anytime at our website. Also, you can create a my Social Security account to manage your benefits or to review your earnings records and get estimates of your future benefits. Thanks!

    • We currently do not have an online appointment scheduler. However you do not need an appointment to file for benefits or appeal a disability decision.
      You can file for the following benefits online: Retirement/Spouses, Medicare and Disability.
      If you do not want to apply for benefits online, or you need to speak to us for any other reason, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday; or you can contact your local Social Security office directly. Thanks!

  9. What information do I need to prove that I have made Medicare CMS for 2017? Do I need a copy of my social security benefit letter of 2017 and a copy of the 1099-SSA 2017 in order to prove Medicare payments for the year 2017. If so, I would like to make an appointment at the SSA office on 87th and Sacramento in Chicago. How can I do this? Thank you.

    • Hello Phyllis. Some of our local offices do offer walk-in appointments; however, these appointments are on a first come, first serve basis.
      If you need proof you get Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security (SSI) Income or Medicare, you can request a benefit verification letter online by using your my Social Security account.
      If you can’t or don’t want to use your online account, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
      We hope this helps!

  10. I just became a naturalized citizen last month. So, I need to update my SSS.
    Where is the nearest SSS Office near Zip Code 93210?
    Thank you

    • Congratulations, Leni! For the nearest office or Card Center in your area, please visit our “Social Security Office Locator“. Remember, you must bring in the original naturalization documents for the update on your record. See you soon!

  11. I would like to make an appointment to speak with a representative concerning the replacement of a lost social security card

  12. My husband and I need to make an appointment at our local office in Littleton, CO for either Monday, January 28, 2019 or Monday, February 4, 2019. I have not be able to get through by telephone. Can you make the appointment for us?

    • Thank you for contacting us, Margaret. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot make an appointment for you.

      To make an appointment you need to contact your local office or call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

  13. Do I need to send my certified Birth Certificate and my Passport for a replacement card? I’m not comfortable sending my Passport in the mail and I couldn’t locate a link to make an appointment however I did find your hours of operation which would be very difficult for me to come in person. I prefer to apply my mail if possible. I still have my original card however it is so worn that the DMV was unable to make a legible copy for the new ID. That’s the reason I need a new card.

    • Hi George, thank you for your question. You may be able to apply for your replacement Social Security card online. If you do not qualify to apply online, then you can apply by mail or visit your local office with required documentation. All documents must be either originals or certified copies. To learn more on how to get a replacement card and see if you can apply online, please visit our “Social Security Number and Card” web page.

  14. Suggestion: Have forms available online and/or in the office so those that know which fiorm they need can bring it completed to the office. I had an appt and then was told to go to the return line to fill out a 1 minute form. 25 minutes later and I am still in the return line. Can someone in SSA please make this happen?

  15. My spouse and I visited the Littleton, CO office today. We experienced great customer service and a friendly, communicative atmosphere. Your Security person and our Customer Service Representative were cordial, friendly, attentive, quick to understand and helpful. The office was standing room only at the time of our visit. However, we were able to complete our business satisfactorily in an hour. Thank you.

  16. I am currently receiving SS benefits form an ex spouse. I will be turning 70 in May.How do I change that to start receiving my own SS and do I have to start taking it at 70 yhears old?

  17. Hello. We are looking for the St Petersburg Florida office to take care of benefits regarding social security.

  18. I did not get a statement in the mail as I should have so I tried to register online. The questions were confusing and you locked me out.

    How can I get my tax report!!! You do not even list the local offices. I am REALLY ANGRY. I need that form to file my taxes.

  19. All I want to do is ask a question – and/or make an appointment and it’s nearly impossible to reach Social Security by phone to do either . Where online can I make an appointment?

    Thank you.

  20. Hello Social Security,
    Is there anyone out there that can instruct me on how make an appointment at the Cambridge MA office for the morning of 2 APR? I have been fighting with the website and telephone system since JAN 2019 to no avail.

    • Hello David. We currently do not have an online appointment scheduler. However you do not need an appointment to file for benefits or appeal a disability decision. You can file for the following benefits online:
      Medicare; and

      If you do not want to apply for benefits online, or you need to speak to us for any other reason, you can schedule, reschedule or cancel an appointment by:
      •Calling us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday; or
      •Contacting your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  21. Good afternoon, I recently became an american citizen and i need to update my SS Card. I’m having problems to find a near Social security Office. I live in Jacksonville Fl, 32218.
    I also need to know what kind of information I need to bring and if I need to make an appointment to be able to make this update in my SS Card.
    Sincerely, Juani

  22. I need a replacement SS card. Where in downtown Los Angeles can I go. Will not let me do it online. I’m in 90017 zip code. Need to get this to get new California state ID.

    • Hi, Robert. First, realize that you may not need a replacement card. You will rarely need to show it. Knowing the Social Security number is what is important. To learn more on the process and what documents you will need to get a card please visit our Social Security Number and Card page. Keep in mind all submitted documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency and must (unless otherwise indicated) have been issued within the last two years. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Once you’ve submitted all the needed documents, it can take up to 10 business days from the date we received the application to mail a replacement card. You can visit your local Social Security office or Card Center for further assistance. We hope this helps.

  23. I turn 65 4-27-19. Do I need to sign up even though I will not be claiming benefits for at least a year? If so where do I go and what do I need to bring with me?
    My area code is 66226 and work 66219.
    Thank you –

  24. You may be serving visitors at local offices, but how do you set up an appointment? I’ve already wasted altogether too much precious time online looking for instructions on how to make an appointment at a local office.

  25. If i am covered under my partners benefits do I need to sign up for Medicare Part B?
    How do I sign up for just Medicare Part A.

    • Hi, Steven. Thanks for your question. If you are already getting Social Security retirement benefits, you will be enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B automatically. However, because you must pay a premium for Part B coverage, you have the option of turning it down. Generally, if you or your partner are still working and are covered under a group health plan based on that employment, you don’t need Medicare part B until you stop working or drop your health care coverage. However, you should speak to your personnel office, health benefits advisor, or health plan to see what’s best for you. To read more about whether you need Medicare Part B, click here. We hope this helps.

  26. Hello

    I had a call today from the Soc. Sec. Admin. according
    to the message. They want to tell me we had some
    criminal activity associated with our account. They left a
    phone number telling us to call right away. Here is the number 330-597-8631. I presume this is a “scam”.
    Can you confirm this?

    • Hello Robert. Thank you for letting us know about these calls. We do not usually make random calls. If you or anyone receives calls saying that they are from Social Security, do not give out any personal information. Suspicious calls should be reported to the Office of the Inspector General at 1-800-269-0271 or online. You can also report these scams to the Federal Trade Commission through a new site specific to Social Security scams here. We hope this helps.

  27. My wife , Nora Page just passed away in April. Friends tell me that I am eligable for survivors benefits. Where is the closest SS office to me. I live in Calabasas CA 91302

    • Hello Gerald. We are sorry to hear about your loss. If your wife worked long enough to be insured under Social Security, you may be eligible for Survivor benefits. At this time, we do not offer an online application for survivors benefits. You can find the address and telephone number of the Social Security office that services your area here. You may also call our toll-free number to make an appointment 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). To learn more about benefits that may be available to you, please go here. We hope this helps.

    • Hello Brenda. We currently do not have an online appointment scheduler. However you do not need an appointment to file for benefits or appeal a disability decision. You can file for the following benefits online:
      •Medicare; and

      If you do not want to apply for benefits online, or you need to speak to us for any other reason, you can schedule, reschedule or cancel an appointment by:
      •Calling us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday; or
      •Contacting your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  28. Don’t tell me I can do it online because I can’t. I can’t even find your office locations on this website!. Terribly complicated. I live in Berlin Md. 21811. Please phone number and address would be appreciated . Thank you.

  29. I need address to nearest office because I’ve not received my new Medicare card and I can no longer access my account on line or by phone.
    I am concerned that my account has been compromised as the security questions/answers did not match and I know what they are.
    Please send me address to nearest office.

    • Hello Gregory. We are sorry you are having difficulty with your personal my Social Security account. For assistance, please call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-772-1213). After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” please say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. We hope this helps.

    • Hi, Susan. You do not have to make an appointment to come in to our offices, but with an appointment, you will be helped before our walk-in customers. You can schedule an appointment with your local office by calling us at 1-800-772-1213 between 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and a representative will assist you. In most cases, you can handle your business by phone. We hope this helps.

  30. Today is June 11,2019 and I do not get my social security benefits pay in my bank acct. I needed it very badly now, pls. Help…

    • Hi, Julie. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. If you did not receive your electronic payment on the scheduled pay date, please contact your bank or financial institution first. They may be experiencing a delay in posting your payment. If you still need to report a late, missing, or stolen Social Security payment, visit our Frequently Asked Questions. We hope this helps.

  31. I am trying to find a local office address to send a request for records in a legal matter. It is very irritating that it is not easily available.

Leave a Reply to Brenda P Kenyon Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *