Social Security — National Reentry Week (April 24th-30th)

April 27, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

A family hugging after a prisoner's releaseThe Department of Justice has designated April 24th-April 30th as National Reentry Week. As a participant agency in the Federal Interagency Reentry Council, Social Security continues to work with other federal agencies to increase transparency about government programs and services.    

Our dedicated reentry web page,, includes SSA-related information about accessing Social Security benefits and resources and links to other federal agencies.  Family members and advocates can readily access information for their relatives or clients about filing for or reinstating benefits, obtaining replacement Social Security cards, veterans’ services and healthcare.

Improving Service to Citizens Returning to the Community after Incarceration

We are making tremendous strides toward ensuring continuity of re-entry services for citizens preparing to return to the community.  We continue to work with federal, state, and local corrections officials to establish prerelease agreements for Social Security benefits.  We are working with the Federal Bureau of Prisons to complete a national prerelease agreement that will cover all federal prisons.  In addition, we have active statewide prerelease agreements with 43 states.  We are working diligently to reach 50 states by the end of 2016.

Some individuals become disabled while in custody and may be eligible to receive disability benefits upon release.  Through the pre-release agreements with state and local correctional facilities, individuals can apply for benefits or begin the process of reinstating benefits prior to or shortly after their release.  These benefits and resources are the key to their ability to resume family responsibilities, secure housing, and cover basic living expenses.

Ensuring Returning Citizens are Reconnected to Services Upon Release

Frequently when individuals who have paid their debt to society leave custody, they do not have current identification.  Without these documents, they find it very difficult, if not impossible, to secure employment, housing, healthcare, or government assistance.  Often to obtain identification, individuals are required to provide proof of their Social Security number (SSN).  We have a prisoner SSN replacement card MOU with the Federal Bureau of Prisons, which covers all Federal prisons nationwide.  We also have over 39 statewide agreements and approximately 20 agreements with county and other local facilities. These arrangements help speed up the process of obtaining a replacement Social Security card.

For more on National Reentry Week, visit

For more on the Reentry Council, visit

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Stacy Rodgers, Chief of Staff, Social Security Administration

Stacy Rodgers, Chief of Staff, Social Security Administration


  1. Laura

    I am SSI coordinator for pre-release cases at a public state mental health facility. This has worked out wonderfully until about a year ago. The SSA offices in Virginia {at least the one we work with} do not recognize the 1 year disability eligibility after date of approval anymore. If the patient has not been discharged 30 days after the approval of SSI we have to file again. As you can imagine especially with individuals with mental disease this is a guessing game. A person may decompensate, their placement may fall through, etc. So that leaves us filing the full disability claim over and over again. What a waste of manpower and holds patients in the hospital. Is this a district decision or a SSA gov change from the top down? Or has the new policy been misconstrued?

  2. Cathey

    If you become disable after.claiming benefits. Can you still claim it

  3. marilyn o.

    Hi, I applied for a job in one of a public school in Kansas,i signed the papers stating I authorized them to do for my background check,thats the First step of their employment process Interviewing,Screening and background check.I give my whole information,my drivers license no.and my SS number.
    And on my Resume, I only wrote down one job experience since i have two job experiences.
    Is it possible that it will all pop up all my job experiences?
    And how it takes for the background checking?Can I background check myself?

  4. Alice

    Is it possible for a spouse to receive husband’s ss disability benefits if he is in prison?

    • R.F.

      Hello Alice. Generally, Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments are not payable for months that a beneficiary is incarcerated or confined to a jail, prison, or certain other public institutions due to a criminal conviction. However, we may be able to continue paying benefits to the dependent spouse or children as long as they remain eligible.
      Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Or visit your local Social Security office directly. Thanks!

      • Terry D.

        Sir, is it not true that if a person is in jail but not convicted, they are in those months pending trial of a felony charge &
        }are not under confinement pursuant to a conviction? A close reading by the AG in a case of the SSR83-21 convinced him that benefits were ONLY to be suspended to months claimant had been convicted of a felony? I have a similar case & have heard nothing in 6 months. I was not paid from June of 2018 when released from 18 days I prison to Feb of 2020 when again sentenced & did 2 months & back out in May of 2020. I was only paid starting June and have nothing from the months in between that I was not incarcerated at all for 3 mo. & falsely accused and arrested & case thrown out, but pleaded in another case when filed in Feb 2020. I gave my release & conviction dates papers to Moore Social Security Office again 6 months ago.
        I just wanted to contact you & maybe get someone to contact or help for me.
        (405) 323 7643
        Please help me.
        I would appreciate help of any kind.

  5. michael h.

    I need to change my phone number from 2056830133 to 2566203452 on my social security benefits application

    • V.V.

      Hi Michael: For your security, we do not have access to your information in this venue. We encourage you to work with your local Social Security office. If you are unable to connect with your local office, you may call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available to help you Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

      Just a reminder – Please be cautious about posting personal information on social media.

Comments are closed.