Self-Employment and Social Security

August 29, 2019 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: August 29, 2019

" "Many people enjoy the independence of owning and operating their own small business. If you’re a small business owner, you know that you have additional financial responsibilities when reporting your taxes. A part of this is paying into Social Security. 

Most people who pay into Social Security work for an employer. Their employer deducts Social Security taxes from their paycheck, adds a matching contribution, then sends those taxes to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and reports the wages to Social Security. Self-employed people must do all these actions and pay their taxes directly to the IRS.

You’re self-employed if you operate a trade, business or profession, either by yourself or as a partner. You report your earnings for Social Security when you file your federal income tax return. If your net earnings are $400 or more in a year, you must report your earnings on Schedule SE, in addition to the other tax forms you must file.

You must have worked and paid Social Security taxes for a certain length of time to get Social Security benefits. The amount of time you need to work depends on your date of birth, but no one needs more than 10 years of work (40 credits).

In 2019, if your net earnings are $5,440 or more, you earn the yearly maximum of four credits — one credit for each $1,360 of earnings during the year. If your net earnings are less than $5,440, you still may earn credit by using an optional method described below.

We use all your earnings covered by Social Security to figure your Social Security benefit, so, report all earnings up to the maximum, as required by law.

Family members may operate a business together. For example, a husband and a wife may be partners or run a joint venture. If you operate a business together as partners, you should each report your share of the business profits as net earnings on separate self-employment returns (Schedule SE), even if you file a joint income tax return. The partners must decide the amount of net earnings each should report (for example 50 percent and 50 percent).

You can read more about being self-employed and how that affects your Social Security benefits including optional methods of reporting.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Mike Korbey, Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Mike Korbey, Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Billy R.

    Between me and my husband we’ve owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I’ve settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

  2. Nick J.

    Self-employment is very necessary for the current generation to see the current scenario. Your tips are awesome!

    I am too planning to open my own blogging website & digital marketing agency!

  3. Quotes4luv

    While looking for some cheezy lines to impress my girlfriend, I stumbled upon Funny Questions to Ask a Girl to Make Her Laugh.

    I tried these on my GF & it came out to be amazing.

  4. R.Malhotra

    If you are looking to buy Best Air Coolers in India, then must look at this

  5. bahsegel g.

    güzel site admin

  6. mobil

    .but i am no income or fanancial to

  7. Vd

    work on workers’ rights and health insurance

  8. Vdcasino

    Hilbet hizmetlerine devam ediyor. Hilbet canlı bahis sitesi is

  9. vdcasino

    We are still far behind in social security. comprehensive work on workers’ rights and health insurance

  10. Mariobet

    Hilbet hizmetlerine devam ediyor. Hilbet canlı bahis sitesi bahis

Comments are closed.