COVID-19, General, Online Services

Providing Greater Access to Our Services

April 25, 2022 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: February 21, 2023

Social Security Administration LogoWe continue to welcome people back to our offices for in-person service with or without an appointment. As we help more people in person, we want to highlight the best ways and times to access our services by phone or in person. We also encourage you to visit our website to conduct your business online if you can. Our online services are secure and convenient. Going online or calling us can save you a trip to a busy office.

Can’t complete your business online?

If you can’t complete your business online, you can call us toll-free at 18007721213. You may reach us faster by contacting us when our telephones and offices may be less busy. Our National 800 Number may be less busy before 10 a.m. and from 4 p.m. to 7p.m local time, or later in the week. Like in our offices, waits on our phone lines are generally shorter later in the month. People who are deaf or hard of hearing may call our TTY number, 18003250778.

We recommend calling our National 800 Number before calling your local office. If our representatives can’t help, they can schedule a local office appointment for you.

Are you considering visiting an office?

Our offices are very busy and wait times without an appointment can be long. We tend to be less busy later in the day, later in the week, and later in the month.

Appointments are strongly recommended, though we continue to help people without one. An appointment reduces your wait time and ensures you know what documents to bring, so we can help you quickly in one visit.

Please visit our website to learn what you need to know before you visit our offices. For example, everyone must wear a mask and physically distance from other customers and employees. Due to current space restrictions, local offices have limits on who may join you if you need help during your visit.

Online, by phone, and in person, we are committed to helping you. Please share this information with friends and family – and post it on social media.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Darlynda Bogle, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Julie S.

    After reading the comments above, It’s quite clear SSA doesn’t care about the disabled and elderly. Even after asking pertinent questions, SSA just gives the 800 number as an answer. That’s just wrong. We are made to “jump through hoops” in order to get anywhere with the SSA. Since this pandemic began it has become impossible to get a real answer to any legitimate question. You call that help? I’ve been waiting since December 2021 for survivors benefits/reconsideration. Reasons given for my denial are so ridiculous and very false. Still waiting for HELP re: Survivors Benefits. I get VA BENEFITS as the spouse. Why not SURVIVORS BENEFITS?????!!!!!!

  2. Mary N.

    Can I make an appointment at the office ?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Mary. Most local offices have resumed in-person service for people without an appointment. Customers who walk in without appointments may encounter delays. Visit How to Get Help from Social Security to learn more, including what to know if you need to visit an office. We hope this helps.

  3. Bill

    I applied for SS retirement benefits online back in April. According to the SSA website, the processing takes 2-4 weeks. It has now been 8 weeks. When can I expect processing to be completed and/or what can be done?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Bill. We are sorry to hear that. The length of time it takes to process a retirement application can vary depending on whether we need to verify documents or other personal information. If you would like to speak with someone regarding the status of your application, please call 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. and ask a representative to assist you, or you can contact your local office. We hope this is resolved soon. 

  4. Shelia P.

    I draw ssi and ssd I’m not married I’m divorced and my ex spouse died last week. We were married 27 years can I draw off of his income because he paid in more than me

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Shelia. Thanks for your question. If the marriage lasted for at least 10 years, you may be eligible for surviving divorced spouse benefits based on your ex-husband’s earnings, beginning at age 60. If you are disabled, you could qualify for benefits as early as age 50 if the disability started before or within 7 years of your ex-husband’s death. For additional information on Survivor benefits, check out our Survivors Planner. To find out whether you qualify and if you need to file an application, you can call our toll free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) and ask to speak with one of our representatives, who are available Monday through Friday between 8:00am and 7:00pm. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  5. Karen L.

    I would really like to see some of you live on $800. A month and be able to pay rent , utilities, and still eat real food. The elderly in this country are treated worse that people treat there animals. I shouldn’t have to choose between a home and food to eat. When you give everything to illegals that are going to take over our country. They you will know how it feels.

  6. Jack M.

    It is well known that the IRS has significantly delayed the processing of the tax returns for the last 2 years, delays which can impact the capability of Social Security to determine an accurate IRMAA (using a 3-year old MAGI instead of a 2-year old MAGA).

    Even though Social Security has a procedure for this case (HI 01120.055 -Beneficiary Provides 2 year Old Tax Data When SSA Used 3 year Old Tax Data to Determine
    the IRMAA), I find it very surprising that:
    1. This has not been better highlighted on the SSA website in light of those increased IRS delays;
    2. That the 3 SSA agents I talked to (2 agents over the phone, one in the SSA office) did not even know this procedure as they wrongly claimed that the only way to resolve it was by using the life changing event procedure. It took a manager at the office (the fourth person) to update the year-2 MAGI based on a copy of my return.

    I would recommend to both update the website and provide information to the agents on how to resolve this issue.

  7. Tommy J.

    Hello my name is Tommy James 3rd I would like to apologize for is thift my 2 phone has been stolen from me that is why I will be homeless for ever I wish I can go so far from these low life’s that truely holding my life iam married to a ALl TIME failure my wife and all her uneducated ugly spies you find her I can breath and come from dead.

  8. azureII

    Social Security has stopped provide the direct phone numbers to local offices (field offices) on their field locator site. Instead SSA seems to have decided to force anyone who wants to contact SSA by phone to use the 800 number, which usually has a wait time measured in hours and those who answer the phone may not be able to answer people’s questions or do more then send a request for an appt to the field office. That includes people who have NO reliable or private internet access and who have difficulty getting to the closest field office if there’s no mass transit to the office or have difficulty standing and/orsitting for hours and who have only a limited number of minutes on their phone.
    How does concealing SSA field office numbers, voice & fax, provide greater access to Social Security’s service? Could you address that issue?

  9. Kim T.

    Your website is constantly down. I get a blank page after logging in

  10. Francisco

    This information will make you more satisfy knowing that I am so sick and not garanty to survive. I will send you one part of my body as soonest posible. Why should I request assistance before gets worse? I had faith to survived at one point but without assistance and being homeless, no food no where to go and my kidney and other body parts are pretty much gone. As I m writing you my sugar levels are high 733 and my legs are in a major pain. Should I thank the ssa ?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Francisco. We are sorry to hear about your condition and situation. You may be eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include free meals, housekeeping help, transportation, or help with other problems. To get information about services in your area and find out if you qualify, you will need to contact your state or local social services or welfare office. We hope this helps.

Comments are closed.