Frauds & Scams, Office of the Inspector General, Privacy & Identity

Inspector General Announces 2nd National “Slam the Scam” Day

February 10, 2021 • By

Last Updated: June 30, 2021

Inspector General Announces 2nd National “Slam the Scam” Day

The Inspector General for the Social Security Administration (SSA), Gail S. Ennis, is designating Thursday, March 4, 2021 as the second annual National “Slam the Scam” Day, to raise public awareness of government imposter telephone scams, which continue to spread across the United States. This is part of National Consumer Protection Week, February 28 – March 6.

Last year, we received over 718,000 reports of Social Security-related telephone scams—with a total of $44.8 million reported lost. Victims who lost money reported an average loss of $5,800. On National “Slam the Scam” Day, we will work to spread the word far and wide about these scams—and encourage people to warn their friends and family to just Hang Up!

On the first National “Slam the Scam” Day, we partnered with other Federal agencies, Members of Congress, and nonprofit and retail organizations to help promote scam awareness. This year, we will expand our efforts, to partner with more agencies and organizations, and seek opportunities to work with local and national media outlets to amplify our message.

• On March 3, 2021, Inspector General Ennis and Andrew Saul, Commissioner of Social Security, will hold a press call to discuss scam awareness and answer questions.
  • On March 4, 2021, USA.gov will host a “Slam the Scam” Twitter chat with Federal agencies.
  • Also on March 4, SSA will host a Facebook Live event to discuss the most common scams, what we are doing to combat them, and what the public can do to avoid becoming victims.

Inspector General Ennis urges Americans to be very cautious of calls from a government agency telling you about a problem you don’t recognize. Real government officials will NEVER:

• Threaten arrest or legal action against you if you don’t immediately send money.
  • Promise to increase your benefits or resolve identity theft if you pay a fee or move your money into a protected account.
  • Require payment with retail gift card, wire transfer, internet currency, or by mailing
  • Text or email you messages that contain your personal information.

If you ever owe money to Social Security, the agency will mail you a letter with payment options and appeal rights. Social Security doesn’t suspend Social Security numbers or demand secrecy from you to resolve a problem—ever.

Visit our Scam Awareness page for more information about National “Slam the Scam” Day and Social Security-related phone scams. You can also visit our Fraud Prevention and Reporting page for additional scam resources.

Please share this information with your friends and family—and spread the word about scams on social media. This March 4, we hope you will help us “Slam the Scam!”

Tags: ,

About Tracy Lynge, Communications Director for the Office of the Inspector General

Comments

1. Alex Smith

Good day to you all. I have been wanting to marry a beautiful woman from abroad for a couple of years now. But I could not find an opportunity. How nice that my friends advised me to buy a bride online. At first I was a little scared. A stranger I barely knew. But I had patience and made my dream come true after all. Now I have a beloved family: a beautiful smart wife, two beautiful angel-children and a huge house on the ocean. Don’t hesitate, have time to find your other half.

2. John Smith

Good day to you all. I have been wanting to marry a beautiful woman from abroad for a couple of years now. But I could not find an opportunity. How nice that my friends advised me to https://yourmailorderbride.com/. At first I was a little scared. A stranger I barely knew. But I had patience and made my dream come true after all. Now I have a beloved family: a beautiful smart wife, two beautiful angel-children and a huge house on the ocean. Don’t hesitate, have time to find your other half.

3. David Soy

I know right! These scammers have made me so cautious that I am literally scared to get help online. I wanted to hire someone to do my dissertation in UK online but I was scared to invest my money. Luckily, the site I found was so reliable that it kinda stored back my faith in humanity!!

4. Melissa Harris

I think I may have just got scammed on Facebook! Now what do I do? The do not have my social security but do have my driver’s license info

5. David Morewitz

SSA employees do not seem to know what to do when IRS claims individual has high gross income–six figures. In fact correct amount of adjusted gross income is less than 10,000. SSA owes me (perhaps) 1200 in back benefits.

• Vonda

For your security, David, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can call your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

6. Mikem

On the first National “Slam the Scam” Day, this is right said i am fully agree with this

7. SETBYEXAMPLE

I assume you participate in nationwide pandemic create more backfire so we dont get our monthly payments OWED by SSA dating back to feb 2020

8. Dawn p shields

Two questions. 1. I have been on disability, and I want to switch to SS or does it automatically switch over. 2. I use to have an account with SS. But it was when I first got my disability. Someone stole my information from my house I believe and I don’t remember my account or password. What do I need to do? 3. I’m 66 and I would like to try and do instacart one job a day to see if I can handle it pain wise. Am I allowed to do that? My email is 2hands4.God7@gmail.com. The last four numbers of my SS is 3980. I can give it all but didn’t know if I was suppose to. Thankyou for your help. Dawn p. shields

• Vonda

Hi Dawn, thanks for using our blog to ask your question. Social Security disability benefits automatically change to retirement benefits when disability beneficiaries become full retirement age. The law does not allow a person to receive both retirement and disability benefits on one earnings record at the same time. We hope this helps!

• Frances Rae Quintana

Just an FYI. I would not make the last 4 digits of a SS# public like this. Sorry, not trying to be bossy, just worried for you.

9. azire

So, how many people receiving SSDI, SSI, and SS retirement benefits AREN’T on Twitter or Facebook? If it’s a problem for seniors to get appointments for vaccination because they not comfortable or familiar with (or have the $$ to own and libraries w/computers & assistance aren’t available now) the internet & the devices used to access it, then why does Saul think that all of them regularly follow SSA on Twitter and Facebook? Some people avoid FB because of its horrible record on privacy/data mining, etc. Doesn’t seem like a plan for a “slam” that’s likely to be effective. Be better off going through people’s religious organizations, Meals on Wheels, any kind of social organizations that the elderly (or disabled) are likely to have a connection with, health care clinics, etc.

• Geoffrey Tsai

When do I receiving $1,400 on my checking
      acc’t?

Thank you very much for your replying!
      Sincerely yours,
      Geoffrey Tsai

• Rico L Nisby

My name is Rico nisby live in Memphis TN I didn’t get my first stemurla check or second so can you please no iam upset governments supposed to no the information of other governments through irs so can y’all please make sure I get my 1400 stemurla check or anything for me my card with NetSpend Mata bank with ace flare account in I did a refund on the first in never got it this phone in my name 9014405101

• Vonda

Hi Rico, thanks for using our blog. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS), not Social Security, issues the Economic Income Payments. Social Security cannot answer EIP questions about your specific situation. Check out our Social Security and Coronavirus web page for more details. We hope this helps.

10. Robert Tekas

Try paid surveys and start to earn extra money.