Disability, SSI

How Social Security Serves Those Who Served

September 21, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: March 17, 2021

A POW/MIA flag on a deskOn September 18, we observed POW/MIA Recognition Day. Social Security remembers those missing in action while defending our country. We want to take the opportunity to highlight our special benefits for wounded warriors.

Social Security takes care of our wounded warriors, because we understand that the effects of military service can be profound and lasting.

Social Security pays disability benefits to veterans through the Social Security disability insurance program, which pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you’ve worked long enough and paid enough Social Security taxes to qualify.

We can also pay disability benefits through the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, which is based on financial need.

Social Security has a very strict definition of disability. To qualify for disability benefits, you must be unable to work and have a medical condition that’s expected to last one year or more or to result in death.

Veterans who have a VA compensation rating of 100 percent permanent and total (P&T) have the opportunity to receive expedited processing of applications for Social Security disability benefits.

For more information, or to apply, please call us at 1-800-772-1213, or visit www.socialsecurity.gov. You can also get additional information about our benefits and services for veterans at www.socialsecurity.gov/people/veterans.

Please remember that Social Security can help with the emotional, financial, and health issues that result from military service. We will never forget.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications


  1. Eduardo C.

    Hi,need information about a grant like benefit given to veterans who receive social security benefits.Someone told me he was told to go to the nearest ssa office and bring DD214 and he received this benefit.Any clarification in this matter will be greatly apreciated.

    • R.F.

      Hello Eduardo. Yes, under certain circumstances, special extra earnings for periods of active duty from 1957 through 2001 can also be credited to your Social Security earnings record. See our “Military Retirement And Social Security Benefits” web page for complete information. Thanks!

Comments are closed.