General, Online Services

Easily Access Your Social Security Benefit Statement

April 11, 2019 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

" "Social Security puts you in control of your finances and future. We have made requesting or replacing your annual Benefit Statement even easier. The Benefit Statement is also known as the SSA-1099 or the SSA-1042S. Now you have the ability to download it anytime and anywhere you want using our online services. There’s no need to visit a field office.

An SSA-1099 is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to IRS on your tax return.

If you currently live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, simply go online and request an instant, printable replacement form with a my Social Security account.

A replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S is available for the previous tax year after February 1.

If you already have a personal my Social Security account, you can access your online account to view and print your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S. If you don’t have access to a printer, you can save the document on your computer or laptop and email it. If you don’t have a my Social Security account, creating a secure account is very easy to do and usually takes less than 15 minutes.

If you’re a noncitizen who lives outside of the United States and you received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S instead. The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

When you have access to your benefit information, you can make knowledgeable decisions about your financial future. With you in control, you can secure today and tomorrow for yourself and your loved ones. Visit our website to find out more.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Timothy R.

    How can non citizen living abroad draw SSA.

    • Prc

      Why do you think you should? Have you paid into social security for the required time?

    • Tanya R.

      If someone has worked in the United States for enough years, the spouse (or former spouse, or widow or widower) and minor children qualify. for benefits. In the case of a divorce, the couple had to have been married at least 10 years.

  2. Durward H.

    Can’t open an account if your credit is frozen, the credit company is why I had to freeze.

  3. John D.

    I want to change my physical address.

  4. Carol K.

    I can’t get in to my account and can’t get anyone to help me.

    • Candace B.

      Why social security credit my account 138 dollars im i going to still get my monthly benefits

      • Ann C.

        Hi, Candace. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. Generally, you will have a shorter wait if you call later in the day. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  5. Glenna i.

    Wish I could get help trying to see if I can get help from my husband ‘s s/s survivor benefits say only had 38 credits needs 40 .i gave s/s wdd22 can you help me again ? Richard Lloyd Ivie *** – ** – ***. He was in Air Force October 1954 – 0ctober 1959 he died May,29,2017. My name is Glenna Fern Ivie s/s *** – ** – ***. 801-627-1061 phone. Address is 1127 west 4250 south. Riverdale,Utah,84405 Thanks


    Can’t access my account
    Can you please help
    Is locks and I don’t remember my pass work
    E-mail in
    Phone 909 204 0387
    Edgard A Mancia
    Thanks you

    • Tom

      Congress writes the laws. SSA must administer what the Congress and courts require. If you need the law changed contact your federal elected officials.

  7. Selina J.

    I am not satisfied with the with-holding amount of $135 from my benefits. That is too high for me. What options do I have? I need Dentures and glasses. My prescriptions are free. What is the $135 covering EVERY month I don’t go to doctor. All my tests for my age are done for 3 years.
    Selina Jones
    *** – ** – ***
    704 -777-4099

  8. Very a.

    I rather have mail to me
    I don’t trust internet. I went to Social Security office today to applied for Medicare, and very absent because you guys don’t want to give meI SSI.people that come from Cuba, and Central South Africa.American they get help from you people and the government. How about us US citizen we vote Rick in bad.I will not vote ever again
    Until somebody help us out.

    • Kathy J.

      The system is broken and we (the elderly)That are born and raised in the U.S.A have to fight for what is ours, while
      others are getting a free ride. Very sad situation going on.

  9. Diane A.

    Can someone help me setting up an account? I tried several times and.have been unsuccessful.

  10. Sue

    Please unsubscribe

Comments are closed.