Disability, Guest Bloggers, SSI

Arthritis Patients Share How It Hurts

September 30, 2021 • By

Last Updated: September 30, 2021

Ann Palmer - Arthritis FoundationAt the Arthritis Foundation, we focus on alleviating the pain and disability caused by arthritis. We have a wealth of resources and initiatives to help you navigate your specific arthritis-related issues.

Our How It Hurts report summarizes our latest findings on the impact of arthritis pain. This year’s report concentrates on three core areas: physical health, emotional and social health, and experience of care. We found that almost 90% of arthritis patients surveyed have pain that interferes with their daily lives and activities. More than two-thirds experience higher levels of fatigue than the general population.

We’re working to improve the lives of those with arthritis – both now and for future generations. Addressing chronic pain is our top priority. We encourage you to check out the following resources to help with your specific situation:

• You’ll also want to use our Rx for Access center to help you choose the right insurance coverage, learn your rights, and appeal denials.

We also want you to know that Social Security is here for you if your arthritis is debilitating enough. Please check out their Disability Benefits page for information about their Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income programs. These programs could help you if your arthritis is disabling and you can’t do any type of work. If you think you may qualify for disability, please visit their website today.

Please share this information with your friends and family – and post it on social media.

Social Security’s posting of this blog does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation of any non-Social Security organization, author, or product. The websites available within this posting are not within Social Security’s control and may not follow the same privacy, security, or accessibility policies. Once you visit such a website, you are subject to the policies of that site.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

1. Jacks

I thank the author for the detailed article with positive thoughts. Social security is undoubtedly an important component of social culture for the maintenance of older people. By the way, the term itself has several different interpretations. Social security is a form of government support designed to ensure that members of society can meet basic human needs such as food and shelter. Social security can be synonymous with social security, or refer specifically to social security programs that provide support only to those who have previously contributed (for example, most pension systems), as opposed to social assistance programs that provide support only on a need-basis (for example, most disability benefits). The International Labor Organization defines social security as encompassing support for those in old age, support for child support, medical treatment, parental leave and sick leave, unemployment and disability benefits, and support for those injured at work. You can learn more about social security and its functions with videos on YouTube in which the authors tell with examples what it is and how it functions in any country. I found about two dozen videos on this topic there and noticed that most of these videos had about 14 thousand views! I am sure this is because their authors used the services of https://theoutdoorchamp.com/best-rechargeable-camping-lantern/ in order to wind up views for YouTube.

2. Janet

I have researched and started aqua therapy on my own for my Osteo. This consists of 3 times weekly walking, jogging, jumping jacks, squats amd lunges in the water. This can be done at any gym that has a pool, or your own pool. I am on my way to feeling better as water is easy on the joints. You should all give this a try! I hope this is a blessing to all of you.

3. Mary F.

Has anyone heard any new information on the connection between an acidic diet and Arthritis? I know wear and tear is part, but does acidic food increase the severity of arthritic spurs?

4. Suncha M.

I am a arthritis pain disability several years I went to osteoporosis last week they said to me I Need short my Needs and my elbows 3 short and change me $ 6700.00 which I don’t have a any money and so I had to cancel to my appointment . I was hurt several years ago and I can’t work with any jobs because I can’t stand ups 5 hrs and my elbows I can’t holding ups my Coffee cups and so I went many Jobs I can’t working .Please I Need Help SSI benefits more to support me I was working at Government USA Army kitchen with in 10 years no day’s off work and always be there’s on time’s and I was working very hard every days That’ why’s I am hurting my arms and legs .
    I was left up 500 pounds potato’s cutting every days and fall in the kitchen several times with in 10 years .
    Now I’m a disability my body I can’t working I No Help. My SSI benefits is only $ 791.00 I can’t pay my bills .my lot’ rental $660.00 a month I am paying my rental I don’t have a money to pay another bills .Please Help me…
    Sincerely
    Suncha Moyer

• Vonda

Thanks for using our blog, Suncha. You may be eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include free meals, housekeeping help, transportation, or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. You can also visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services web page for more information. We hope this is helpful.

• Francesca

Vonda can’t you reach out to her via mail or something? It seems she is in dire straits! I cannot imagine living like that. The stress certainly adds to her pain ten fold! She doesn’t deserve that. Sounds like she worked her butt off to. Prayers for this poor woman I hope you or someone can help her. I’m sure there are so many people out there just like her. Our country sends billions of $$ to other countries when they should be fixing our disability system so that money can help our veterans, disabled, homeless and children (especially in poor rural like the Appalachia area and city communities !!

5. LAURAJ

I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH OSTEOPOROSIS. I HAVE BEEN HAVING A LOT OF PAIN IN MY LEGS AND BACK. I CURRENTLY HAVE A PAIN DOCTOR, BUT I THINK HE IS QUESTIONING MY PAIN. I DON’T KNOW HOW TO GET HIM TO UNDERSTAND.

• Francesca

Hi Laura I totally get where ur coming from. Some doctors just take your money but don’t help your problem. I wrote kinda backwards see the rest of my blabber!! Sorry I went off on myself!! I have osteoarthritis, psoriatic arthritis, fibromyalgia, restless leg syndrome, &stenosis/ spondylitis it is all so painful! I’ve had both knees replaced, fusion surgery at C4/5 (23 yrs ago) I’m 58 now, I just had another fusion in June at L4/5. My feet are in so much pain swollen I can’t stand for more then 20 minutes without paying for it. Doctors can’t figure out what is wrong! Can you imagine! I was told they might get better after surgery!! I understand your pain and frustration with doctor. I went to pain management doc for 10 years had every injection, nerve root burn, you name it I did it! Great insurance then, now no way!! It would be way to much even with my insurance.
      My advice you need to tell your doctor to send you for an MRI, do bloodwork etc, X-ray. Unless all that was done? How can he not believe you if he hasn’t done his due diligence? Does he at least give you some pain meds? I go to PM doctor now and I think she wants to start lowering them again bc I had the surgery!! She thinks the rest of me is just magically not in pain! It’s insane! I want to live better I have not been able to have quality of life since end of 2019 when they cut my RX by more then half I was freaking out! Pain and Restless leg episodes every other night! I thought I’d lose my mind. Anyway enough of my vomit. I hope you get help with your pain and your doctor starts to realize you need him to help you!! Prayers going your way.

6. Robert T.

Hello, are you looking for extra income? Try paid surveys and other online jobs. All is easy and free.

7. noor

i am 28 years old and i was working in italian moterways i used to walk very fast and overused my knees i now canot work cannot stand longtime i just can only walk slowly and slowly i am very sad very hurt very brokedown opps i think my acl or patella hurt much but i did emergency decicion i leave job and go for sunlight and eat balance diet i hope soon it will recover

• Francesca

Can’t you see a specialist for your knees? I had mine both replaced at same time. Best thing I ever did. You are to young to have these issues. You must address them with a doctor or they will get worse. You don’t want that trust me. I e been dealing with arthritis since I was a teenager. Back problems to. I’m a surgical queen! Lol Not funny but I am to the point I get so frustrated and down bc I can’t enjoy my life with my family n friends. Please take care of yourself. 🙏

8. Anthony S.

Epsom salt bath, saline or chlorine swim treats methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Although the sterilized MRSA lesion, causing vertebral misalignment visible on x-ray, may take a week to entirely subside, this is an important lesson for local Social Security Offices to stop sending out monoclonal antibody to the sacrum and spine contaminated disability questionnaires.

On the not so humorous topic of severe pay, Social Security Matters blog must stop altering the names of bloggers, in order to not corrupt the bank. Netspend has locked me out of my life savings and locked in two fictitious names, to prevent more than $16,200 (9/28/21), from being listed as unclaimed funds in my name. The FDIC is concerned they may be a failed bank. Can SSA help me secure either my life savings or $250,000 Depositor Insurance settlement in an ABLE Account for that retirement home I would otherwise never be able to afford? Is this why the number of disability insurance beneficiaries declined -3 percent 2020-2021?

9. Sally O.

I have osteoarthritis and also rheumatoid arthritis.3 back surgeries and 6 fusions. I am in pain every day, thus the need for medication. Thank God for Pfizer and their wonder drug Zeljanz, which has controlled my rheumatoid arthritis. There are several grants available from pharmaceutical companies that provide medication to you at no cost. Do your research and pay attention to your body. Keep a log daily noting any changes. Your rheumatologist will be grateful. Fatigue is the worst; rest when it flares up and you feel like you cant move. Most of all keep moving, even if you can only walk to your mailbox. Move every day. Also there are topical pain gels that work great on knees, elbows and back. I will keep all who are suffering in my prayers.

• Barbara

Thank you for sharing. I am not able to get knee replacement until I loose weight but I used to exercise a lot and sometimes wonder if so much exercise actually caused my knee breakdown. I have not heard of that but I certainly was not sedentary. Any ideas?

10. Judyelliott

Is there any programs for people with scoliosis?

• Vonda

Hi Judy, thanks for using our blog. Social Security pays disability benefits to people who are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last one year or more. We pay disability benefits through two programs: the Social Security Disability Insurance program (SSDI) and the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. To qualify for SSDI benefits, you must have worked long enough and recently enough in jobs covered by Social Security (usually within the last 10 years). The SSI program is a needs based program that gives cash assistance to disabled individuals with limited income and resources. If you think you may be eligible to receive disability benefits and would like to apply, you can use our online disability application.