45 thoughts on “April is National Social Security Month

  1. I am trying to apply for medicare online. My mother lives with me and has an account. She has my same address, phone number and email. Every time I try to create an account for me, the online system says I already have an account and logs me into hers. How do I get around this?

  2. I am now a widow. My husband was a veteran who just died three months ago.
    I want to know since I have no income due to him being the main income earner and I recently losing my job, is there any positions that I can work from home as I have many skills, including customer service, administration and great word processing along with typing skills? I also want to know if there is a way that I can get SNAP, Medical benefits and/or my husband’s benefits? I am not age 60 yet, I am not sure if I have a condition that is permanent right now as I will be getting a medical exam next month to see if Morgellon’s is a disease that qualifies as a disability or Migraine Headaches qualifies as a disability? Please help me as I want to work, but can’t seem to find work. If there is any way that I can get my husband’s SS benefits at this time? I will be 60 in 2021. I look forward to your response.

    • Hi, Amjad. First, realize that you may not need a replacement card. You will rarely need to show it. Knowing the Social Security number is what is important. To see if you’re eligible to apply for a replacement Social Security card online or to learn more on the process and what documents you will need to get a card please visit our Social Security Number and Card page. Keep in mind all submitted documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency and must (unless otherwise indicated) have been issued within the last two years. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Once you’ve submitted all the needed documents, it can take up to 10 business days from the date we received the application to mail a replacement card. We hope this helps.

  3. I’m going to receive my first social security check this month. I took it at age 62 out of necessity, but now I’ll have financial help for maybe one to two years. I’ve read about suspending the social security account and in the future you can then claim your social security check again. If my ss check is $800/mo and I decide to suspend this and apply for ss again when I’m 64, will it still be $800/mo, or will the new ss claim be as if I never claimed ss before and it will be at the higher amount? Thanks!

    • Hi, TM. If you file for Social Security benefits and then you change your mind, you may be able to withdraw your Social Security claim and re-apply at a future date. However, if you change your mind 12 months or more after you became entitled to retirement benefits, you cannot withdraw your application. For more information, visit our Benefits Planner: Retirement | If You Change Your Mind web page. If you have additional questions specific to your case, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. Generally, you will have a shorter wait if you call later in the day. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  4. Received a call on Sunday 7-14 from a 312-575-6999 number, requesting a call back to 800-842-0588 Ext 36539 to discuss my application for retirement. The concern is, I filed on 7-9, only 5 days previously. This seems rather strange and questionable that someone could know the information that soon after. Wanted to get or confirm my information in order to file by 12:00 CT…on a Sunday. Just wanted to provide a heads up.

    • Hi, Brad. Please be suspicious of unsolicited telephone calls. If an unknown individual claims to be from a legitimate organization, try to verify his or her identity directly with the company. Avoid providing personal information unless you are certain of a person’s authority to have the information. If you are ever unsure about the identity of someone claiming to be a Social Security employee, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to verify the authenticity of the person who contacted you or contact your local office. We hope this helps.

  5. keep getting calls from social security they say they are freezing my account due to suspicious activity calls come from 1-800-662-3532 and 1-800-662-8126 today at 12:20 and 2:33pm on my cell phone and home phone

    • Hi Marion. Thanks for checking in with us. We do not usually make random calls. If anyone receives calls saying they are from Social Security, do not give out any personal information. Suspicious calls should be reported to the Office of the Inspector General at 1-800-269-0271 or online. You can also report these scams to the Federal Trade Commission through a site specific to Social Security scams, here. We hope this helps.

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *