45 thoughts on “April is National Social Security Month

  1. Unfortunately all these benefits and convenience associated with establishing an account, do not apply to me. The reason is the stipulation of having a US address.
    Living outside the US I am still able to have a Medicare account. There is no problem with that, security and privacy are not compromised at all.
    When will Social Security remove the need for a US address, before one can benefit from an account??

    • No reply so far!!! Someone needs to look into this technicality that prevents so many Americans, living overseas from benefitting from a personal account. Last time I heard the number around 60,000 Americans receiving social security and living outside the US. Is it fair that non of them can benefit from a personal account. We need help.

  2. REQUEST , Hi , Miss Bogle I would like to know am l old enough to have Medicaid dob 04.07.1956 and I need a social security card ,THANKS…..

  3. I want to change where my SS checks are deposited.
    How do I get the information to change it? I do have the paper to change to the credit union I want the funds to go. Can I take a picture and email it to the government or do you need a hard copy sent in the mail?

    • Hi Bonnie. Thanks for the question. If you’re receiving Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability), you can start or update your direct deposit information by using your personal my Social Security account.

      If receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or unable to conduct business online, you can start or update your direct deposit by contacting the bank, credit union, or savings and loan association or by calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

      See our Frequently Asked Questions web page for more information.

  4. Yes, I’ve been trying for 2 years to get answers and I can’t they just Shaun me off!!! I was 54 in August of 2017 I had been drawing my dissabilty since 2007. I had been married for close to 25 years. Then my husband had been drawing since I guess 2009 he had his full dissabilty!!! However, that is what we lived on!! Both he and I (our social security dissabilty together) But when he died on August 6,2017 I went to our local social security office by the way he had drawer for years on other health problems BUT!!!!! In Feburary 14, 2014 he had a massive massive stroke it left him completely PARALYZED on his left side after his stroke and we hoped he could use his right side but NO NO NO about 2 years or so before his stroke he had a completely HIP REPLACEMENT TOTALLY and he begin getting much sicker come to find out his SURGERY went bad he was septic in his hip and at UAB IN BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA they took it completely out and said they couldn’t put another in due to his condition!! Not make it thru surgery!! However he was drawing 1,372.00 monthly I was drawing 1,036.00 monthly when he died they said I could only draw mine and 240.00 of his check?? IT DOESNT SEEM RIGHT I HAVE NO IDEA BUT OUR BILLS WERE BASED ON TH AT being we had been married that long and together and loved together many years before our marriage is that AMOUNT RIGHT??? WHY I HAVE THE QUESTION IS THAT I WAS ALREADY DRAWING MY DISSABILITY BEFORE THAT HE DIED ACCORDING TO SOME PAMPLETS I WAS SUPPOSE TO DRAW 71% TO 99 % IF I WAS ALREADY ON DISSABILITY!!! PLEASE PLEASE CHECK INTO THIS NOONE WILL AND ITS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME I NEED TO KNOW THE RIGHT ANSWER PLEASE IVE PRAYED ABOUT THIS BECAUSE IM LOOSING OUR HOME AND EVERYTHING WE HAD. ELIZABETH MILLER DOB 8-8-62 SSN *** – ** – *** MY HUSBAND ROGER MILLER DOB5-28-55 SSN *** – ** – *** THANK YOU!!

    • Hi, Diane. We are sorry to hear you had difficulty creating your personal my Social Security account. If you are still unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your personal my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  5. Please allow us overseas Social Security Retiree’s to create an ONLINE ACCOUNT. Calling back to the SSA tel # a person is waiting online for 45 min, 1 hour or more with intl phone charges, cuts and hang ups. It’s next to impossible to get help. Then the SSA office in Costa Rica, forget it, they wont answer. So, you see, allowing us overseas to create an ONLINE ACCOUNT would help immensely. Please answer.

  6. I have a whole year of earnings missing from my earnings record I submitted a request for my income tax transcripts (that was over a month ago still no reply) I had the same employer before, during and after the missing year of earnings. I have been retired since 2007.
    I Need Help

  7. I already have an account, but I have not been able to log in from my I-Pad for two weeks now. All I get is a white page.
    I have to use my computer to log in.
    Will this problem be fix soon ?

  8. I am currently on disability.
    But due to incorrect information my payments went down.
    I sent in information from temporary disability showing I am not receiving any
    payments., since October .
    I am still waiting to hear back from Social Security.
    How long does it take for a correction?

  9. I retired here in India but could not contribute to my SS account as India till last year was not a participating country in your SS program. I have 28 credit points in my SS account. India is now in your SS program I guess. Pl suggest me if I can still contribute in my SS a/c by working for 3 more yrs. I don’t have pension and need some help from SSA but don’t know how. Pl help. Thanks. Prof. Ashok K. Sharma ssn *** – ** – ***. My ph : 9412050881

  10. I hope ssa history month is my history month too for my dream come true on my 65 years birthday.and 33 years in this country 30 years been suffering with depression/diabetes/high hypertension.

  11. No reply so far!!! Someone needs to look into this technicality that prevents so many Americans, living overseas from benefitting from a personal account. Last time I heard the number around 60,000 Americans receiving social security and living outside the US. Is it fair that non of them can benefit from a personal account. We need help.

  12. My Social Security and Social Security Disability coverage is the same number I have repeatedly informed you about. While Social Security workers routinely continue to provide the ongoing female & Spanish or Columbian thief and illegal representative who Social Security now fabricates to have given all my benefits and finances since 1966 up until now.
    Unfortunately, that simply means that all the savings I have done into my bank accounts have constantly been stolen to benefit the spanish babysitter when I was 14 years old, and was diagnosed with Leukemia. And she chose to claim MY Social Security ID as all hers. While she routinely claimed all my benefits and finances as hers, while she routinely fabricates that I agreed to be involved with the group/gang simply continue to fabricate about me to provide them with the benefits and finances they want! While I have routinely been informed I was helped, even as all my benefits and help I never have received! While all my records, benefits and finances ahve always been stolen to benefit the Social Security ID thief (and her multiple “husbands”) while I am routinely threatened for always having the correct fact that it was MY Social Security Identity which Social Security still refuses to provide as the Social Security Federal Administrator who filed his Court Orders have simply disappeared! All again by Social Security and its representatives who routinely have given other people all that is mine rather than ever maintaining any appropriate and honest contacts with me since 1966 until now! Any possibility to find out how to stop Social Security’s constantly refusing to provide my own car or truck, my own house, my own bank accounts, my medical, my multiple doctors’ and my multiple hospitals’ records given to successive and multiple ID thieves rather than maintaining any contact or assistance as the Judge also ordered. And extensive far more! Would help if we could get our contacts correct! And quit making me appear responsible for the ID thieves and robberies, while I still am never provided any contacts or communications with any of the correct permanent Social Security Disability as the Administrator ordered! Jean B Minsky

  13. I live abroad and have a MySocial Security account. Every year, SSA in the USA sends beneficiaries who live abroad Form SSA 7162 which needs to be filled out and returned for benefits to continue. This form is sent by conventional mail and not electronically. Mail service in my location is unreliable at best and for the last three years, I have not received this form. As a result, my benefits were cut off without notice each February. I then need to download the form, send it to the FBU in Manila and they will eventually get my benefits restored. Each time, there has been no notice through My Social Security account that the form has not been received and/or that my benefits will be cut off. I know three other people in my area who have this same issue. Why cannot My Social Security be used to notify that benefits are about to be cut off so steps can be taken before the actual cut off? Imagine getting your salary cut off without notice? Sending notices that need to be returned by conventional mail is ludicrous in 2019, especially to countries with poor mail service. Please consider using My Social Security accounts to address this problem.

  14. Why is it an problem to set up an acitive account from germany as your program kicks me out with a address out of the US

  15. awhile back as i was getting things in order, it was mention that i would have to pay “late enrollment penalty”
    so can any one clear this up? i sent form in saying they were wrong but still no answer.
    which is causing me a lot of stress.


  16. I am trying to apply for medicare online. My mother lives with me and has an account. She has my same address, phone number and email. Every time I try to create an account for me, the online system says I already have an account and logs me into hers. How do I get around this?

  17. I am now a widow. My husband was a veteran who just died three months ago.
    I want to know since I have no income due to him being the main income earner and I recently losing my job, is there any positions that I can work from home as I have many skills, including customer service, administration and great word processing along with typing skills? I also want to know if there is a way that I can get SNAP, Medical benefits and/or my husband’s benefits? I am not age 60 yet, I am not sure if I have a condition that is permanent right now as I will be getting a medical exam next month to see if Morgellon’s is a disease that qualifies as a disability or Migraine Headaches qualifies as a disability? Please help me as I want to work, but can’t seem to find work. If there is any way that I can get my husband’s SS benefits at this time? I will be 60 in 2021. I look forward to your response.

    • Hi, Amjad. First, realize that you may not need a replacement card. You will rarely need to show it. Knowing the Social Security number is what is important. To see if you’re eligible to apply for a replacement Social Security card online or to learn more on the process and what documents you will need to get a card please visit our Social Security Number and Card page. Keep in mind all submitted documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency and must (unless otherwise indicated) have been issued within the last two years. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Once you’ve submitted all the needed documents, it can take up to 10 business days from the date we received the application to mail a replacement card. We hope this helps.

  18. I’m going to receive my first social security check this month. I took it at age 62 out of necessity, but now I’ll have financial help for maybe one to two years. I’ve read about suspending the social security account and in the future you can then claim your social security check again. If my ss check is $800/mo and I decide to suspend this and apply for ss again when I’m 64, will it still be $800/mo, or will the new ss claim be as if I never claimed ss before and it will be at the higher amount? Thanks!

    • Hi, TM. If you file for Social Security benefits and then you change your mind, you may be able to withdraw your Social Security claim and re-apply at a future date. However, if you change your mind 12 months or more after you became entitled to retirement benefits, you cannot withdraw your application. For more information, visit our Benefits Planner: Retirement | If You Change Your Mind web page. If you have additional questions specific to your case, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. Generally, you will have a shorter wait if you call later in the day. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  19. Received a call on Sunday 7-14 from a 312-575-6999 number, requesting a call back to 800-842-0588 Ext 36539 to discuss my application for retirement. The concern is, I filed on 7-9, only 5 days previously. This seems rather strange and questionable that someone could know the information that soon after. Wanted to get or confirm my information in order to file by 12:00 CT…on a Sunday. Just wanted to provide a heads up.

    • Hi, Brad. Please be suspicious of unsolicited telephone calls. If an unknown individual claims to be from a legitimate organization, try to verify his or her identity directly with the company. Avoid providing personal information unless you are certain of a person’s authority to have the information. If you are ever unsure about the identity of someone claiming to be a Social Security employee, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to verify the authenticity of the person who contacted you or contact your local office. We hope this helps.

  20. keep getting calls from social security they say they are freezing my account due to suspicious activity calls come from 1-800-662-3532 and 1-800-662-8126 today at 12:20 and 2:33pm on my cell phone and home phone

    • Hi Marion. Thanks for checking in with us. We do not usually make random calls. If anyone receives calls saying they are from Social Security, do not give out any personal information. Suspicious calls should be reported to the Office of the Inspector General at 1-800-269-0271 or online. You can also report these scams to the Federal Trade Commission through a site specific to Social Security scams, here. We hope this helps.

Leave a Reply to Gregory Laverne Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *