An Increase in Social Security Benefits in 2017

October 18, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: March 17, 2021

cola2017The annual cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) usually means an increase in the benefit amount people receive each month. By law, the monthly Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) federal benefit rate increases when there is a rise in the cost of living. The government measures changes in the cost of living through the Department of Labor’s Consumer Price Index (CPI-W).

The CPI-W rose this year. When inflation increases, your cost of living also goes up. Prices for goods and services, on average, are a little more expensive.  Since the CPI-W did rise, the law increases benefits to help offset inflation. As a result, monthly Social Security and SSI benefits for over 65 million Americans will increase 0.3 percent in 2017.

Other changes that would normally take effect based on changes in the national average wage index will begin in January 2017. For example, the maximum amount of earnings subject to the Social Security payroll tax will increase to $127,200.

Information about Medicare changes for 2017, when announced, will be available at  For some beneficiaries, their Social Security increase may be partially or completely offset by increases in Medicare premiums.

You can find more information about the 2017 COLA at  For changes in the national average wage index, go to

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications


  1. lakshminagar

    I want to find out if there is a increase in social scurity in 2018? right now I am getting 126.00


    • Ray F.

      Please call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 and speak to one of our agents. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!


    Wonder if others have been affected by the GOVERNMENT OFFSET? I have been NOT getting response on my appeals, letters, emails. I received a letter last March in 2017 stating it is being looked into. Today is April, 2018 and still waiting. I have been complaining since 2008 when SS adjusted my overpayment, taking each year with no detail on how the amount is determined, just an amount that would be taken from each month or a choice of no SS for several months.

    I retired from a State position and was on widows pension. I have tried to contact an attorney but not able to find one who is knowledgeable in government offset. Does anyone understand how it is determined in detail?

    • Ray F.

      A pension based on work that is not covered by Social Security (for example, Federal civil service and some State or local government agencies, such as police officers and some teachers) may cause the amount of your Social Security benefit to be reduced.
      Your Social Security benefits can be reduced based on one of two provisions: The Windfall Elimination Provision and The Government Pension Offset.

  3. irma h.

    20 w milan avenue apt 116 pleasantville nj 08232

  4. marie k.

    can you ever lose your ssi if you are on survival benefits, from yearly raises

    • Ray F.

      The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program is a needs based program that gives cash assistance to disabled individuals with limited income and resources. We consider your income when deciding whether you can get Supplemental Security Income or if the income you receive can affect (reduce) your SSI benefit amount. Income such as your Social Security benefits is considered “unearned income”. See Understanding Supplemental Security Income for more information. Thanks!

  5. Patricia S.

    I’ve been trying to get my 1099 for 2017.I requested a copy that was supposed to be here by February 19…didn’t come so on February 21 I requested the 1099 again that was supposed to get here by March 7…today is March 10th and haven’t gotten that one either!

  6. Jack O.

    How to get 2017 and 2016 forms of ssa-4926-am?

  7. Walter D.

    I did not receive the annual new benefit amount letter for 2018. Attempted to call but informed a wait of 50 minutes would result.
    How do I get an update?

  8. Juanito A.

    I am 68 years old, retired health care employee in Dec 2015. January 2016 started to receive my social security pension. I went back working to the same company in October 2016 until present. I am contributing to the social security again. My question is, will my social security pension increases yearly? How is going to be calculated?

  9. Cynthia L.

    I received a letter stating I would get an increase and then I got another letter stating I would receive the same amount as last year. Nothing has changed that I know of, so why did I not receive an increase?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Cynthia. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot answer your question at this time. One of our representatives should be able to provide you with an explanation. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Thanks.

  10. Rosemary B.

    I cannot find my end of year Dec 2017 Medicare Summary Notice for Part B.
    How I can I access the data for taxes?

Comments are closed.