Online Services

Your Social Security Statement is now at your fingertips

July 7, 2016 • By

SSA StatementHave you ever received a Social Security Statement in the mail? You know, the one that shows all the earnings you’ve had each year and how much you could receive per month in Social Security benefits when you retire? The Statement contains crucial information workers need to plan for a comfortable retirement. Now, thanks to my Social Security, this information—and so much more— is only a few minutes away!

Your personal my Social Security account is secure and gives you ready access to your earnings records, Social Security benefit estimates, and printable Statements. Those who already receive benefits can view their payment history, current status, and manage their benefits.

To open a personal my Social Security account, go to www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount and select “Create an Account” to get started. You must be 18 years old, have a valid Social Security number, U.S. mailing address (or a military address if deployed overseas), and an email address.

In some cases — like if there was reported credit card fraud under your name or Social Security number — you may have to contact your local Social Security office to open a my Social Security account.

Once registered, you can:

• Verify your earnings history;
  • View estimated Social Security benefits based on your past earnings;
  • View Social Security and Medicare taxes you’ve paid over your lifetime,
  • Print your current Social Security Statement; and
  • Request a replacement Social Security card (in some states)

If you’re currently getting benefits, you can:

• View benefit payment information;
  • Change your address and phone number;
  • Start or change electronic payments;
  • Get a replacement Medicare card;
  • Get a replacement 1099 for tax season; and,
  • Get a benefit verification letter.

When you sign up for a personal my Social Security account, we use a secure authentication process to protect the privacy of your identity and your Social Security Statement information.  In addition to your unique username and password, you can also further protect your my Social Security account with a secure code texted to your phone every time you log in.

Just one more way Social Security strives to provide customers with peace of mind. Learn more at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications

Comments

1. Ronald timms

I tried to access my social security account it’s been so long since I open the account I’m not sure the email I used or IID or password and it will not let me open a new account what are my options?

2. James E Holt Jr

Checking to see why I didn’t receive my check yesterday

Hi, James. If you do not receive your electronic payment on the scheduled pay date, please contact your bank or financial institution first. If you still need to report a late, missing, or stolen Social Security payment, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions. Thanks!

3. Jennifer

I wanna change my last name I just got married feb 14 2020 what do I need to do

Hi, Jennifer. In order to change your name on your Social Security card, you must show us a document that proves your legal name change. If the document you provide as evidence of a legal name change does not give us enough information to identify you in our records, you must show us an identity document in your old name (as shown in our records). It is the identity document (also known as your ID) that we will accept if it has expired; however, we still will need to see proof (legal document) of the name change. We offer the option for you to mail your completed application with original or certified documents to your local Social Security office. For more information about how and what to submit, visit our Frequently Asked Questions. We hope this helps.

4. Starla A Jones-wilhelm

5. Henry Brown

I retired early and have a reduced monthly benefit payment. I was told that if I were to return payment of the retirement benefits I have received, I could then get the benefit in the amount I would have received had I not “retired early”. Please direct me to the instructions if this is a legitimate option.
    Sincerely, Henry Brown *** – ** – ***…. 305-778-9333

Hi Henry, thanks for using our blog. If you apply for Social Security benefits and then change your mind about when they should start, you may be able to withdraw your Social Security claim and re-apply at a future date. However, if you change your mind 12 months or more after you became entitled to retirement benefits, you cannot withdraw your application. Also, keep in mind that you must repay all the benefits that you and your family received. For more information, visit our web page on Withdrawing your Social Security benefits.

6. Glen E Skinner

I want to get online, I need to do so.

Hi Glen, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to create a my Social Security account. In addition, check out the Online Services page for all of the online services currently available. We hope this is helpful!

7. Mary Marchionda

Hello, I cannot get into my review your statement. It says it cannot find me! And after 3 tries I’m locked out. Can you send me the information in the mail please? This is getting me nowhere. Thanks Mary.

Hi Mary, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to get your Social Security Statement. We hope this helps!

8. Carol Vandergraaf

I am trying to replace my medicare card, that’s why I didn’t get a code in a letter. Please help Me replace this card. Carol VanderGraaf the wife of Jacob VanderGraaf, Jacob is the one that lost his card. I have read you can get the number and a copy of the card.

9. serena Crawford Anderson

Xx

10. Linda Jones

Thank you all for your hard work! All of you are much appreciated!!!
    Most sincerely yours,