Online Services

Your Social Security Statement is now at your fingertips

July 7, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: August 4, 2021

SSA StatementHave you ever received a Social Security Statement in the mail? You know, the one that shows all the earnings you’ve had each year and how much you could receive per month in Social Security benefits when you retire? The Statement contains crucial information workers need to plan for a comfortable retirement. Now, thanks to my Social Security, this information—and so much more— is only a few minutes away!

Your personal my Social Security account is secure and gives you ready access to your earnings records, Social Security benefit estimates, and printable Statements. Those who already receive benefits can view their payment history, current status, and manage their benefits.

To open a personal my Social Security account, go to our website and select “Create an Account” to get started. You must be 18 years old, have a valid Social Security number, U.S. mailing address (or a military address if deployed overseas), and an email address.

In some cases — like if there was reported credit card fraud under your name or Social Security number — you may have to contact your local Social Security office to open a personal my Social Security account.

Once registered, you can:

  • Verify your earnings history.
  • View estimated Social Security benefits based on your past earnings.
  • View Social Security and Medicare taxes you’ve paid over your lifetime.
  • Print your current Social Security Statement.
  • Request a replacement Social Security card (in some states).

If you’re currently getting benefits, you can:

  • View benefit payment information.
  • Change your address and phone number.
  • Start or change electronic payments.
  • Get a replacement Medicare card.
  • Get a replacement 1099 for tax season.
  • Get a benefit verification letter.

When you sign up for a personal my Social Security account, we use a secure authentication process to protect the privacy of your identity and your Social Security Statement information.  In addition to your unique username and password, you can also further protect your personal my Social Security account with a secure code texted to your phone every time you log in.

Just one more way Social Security strives to provide customers with peace of mind. Learn more at on our website.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications




  2. William E.

    The Lein from IRS should be dropped. Please change and update the current amount and restore my full benefits.
    Bill Soltis

    • Ray F.

      Hi Bill. We have no control over this reduction of Social Security benefits. You cannot appeal the reduction of a Social Security benefit payment under tax levy to Social Security. Contact the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-7650 or The Department of the Treasury at 1-800-304-3107. See our Frequently Asked Questions web page for more information.

  3. Joeph L.

    There should be a way to set up one’s account of there is freeze on one’s credit — like what the Treasury Dept did with the Treasury Bonds Site — send a one time code with a time out feature to the email address that is verified to be true. To go to a local office to set an acct because one is being careful with one’s credit is archaic.

  4. tammy

    Your Social Security Statement is now at your fingertips? Well that’s all fine but it does not help the discrimination which is happening right now at the Socialist security administration. You see, if you happen to be a physically disabled person and you marry an able bodied person, then the SOCIALIST SECURITY system will use special “Rules” to legally discriminate against you and deny you benefits. The SOCIALIST SECURITY system has caused me a lot of economic hardship all because I married an able bodied person. The SOCIALIST SECURITY system thinks someone who is physically disabled (permanently and totally disabled) marries an “able bodied person”, that somehow magically they are cured of their physical disability and two people can survive off the able bodied persons income. WOW, talk about a bunch of bureaucratic idiotic thinking, that somehow this would not cause a financial hardship….. amazing.

    The rules that the Social Security Administration uses to legally discriminate against persons who are “Adult Disabled Children” who happen to marry an able bodied person, are discriminatory. This is loosely referred to as the “marriage penalty” but I call it exactly what it is, a legal form of discrimination.
    I firmly believe this rule, is an act of bias, prejudice and discrimination against people who (by no fault of their own) are born disabled and happen to marry an able bodied person

    Please write your Congressional Representative and tell them to end this modern day form of Legal Discrimination. In this day of fairness and equality, there are still some people suffering from an outdated and oppressive bureaucratic rule.

    And thanks, I know about the highly discriminatory and prejudice filled Adult Disabled Child “rules” about marrying another disabled person and how I cannot marry an “able bodied person” or I loose all benefits. It is a lot like the Socialist Security administration telling me that they have rules against me marrying a certain race, age group, sexual orientation, etc. Its all discrimination even if YOU CALL IT A DIFFERENT NAME!

  5. Mary

    I live in Canada and don’t have a US mailing address, however still have family in the US. Can I set up an online SS account using their address? If not, who do I contact as I would like to begin the application for benefits soon. Thanks.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Mary. The “mySocialSecurity” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet. Even though you need a U.S. address to create a my Social Security account, you do not need a U.S. address to apply for your Retirement Benefits online. For direct assistance related to your application and your Social Security benefits, please contact your local U.S. embassy or consulate. In addition, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad. We hope this information helps.

      • Mary

        Thanks for your response. Very helpful!

        • RLA

          Hi Ray–Thanks for taking the time to respond to everyone here and thanks for helping to get the cell phone/texting requirement lifted. Another concern for me: As an overseas US citizen it would be ideal to be able to have an online account in order to access my social security info. Do you know if they are mailing the statements to overseas citizens still? I haven’t gotten one in a long time although I’m aware of the 2011-14 budgetary issue that stopped the mailings for those years. That gets me to my main point: The SSA should be encouraging EVERYONE, CONUS and overseas, to get on-board with the online accounts, especially given the current era of identity theft. Since the SSA relies on the IRS to provide them with a person’s valid mailing address, including citizens living outside the U.S., I would think that as long as the address of the applying person matches what the IRS has on file that should be enough. I can’t think of any other reason that the system should not support registration if you live outside the states and have a valid IRS-matched address, but maybe there’s something else that prevents it. If there’s any way you could encourage the people handling this issue to have another look, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

  6. Martha K.

    I just tried to sign up for My Social Security online and when I submitted the first page, I received a notice that my account has been suspended. Why?

    • Ray F.

      Hello Martha. If you are having difficulties with your personal my Social Security account, please call 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. Sometimes, it might be best to visit your local Social Security office for further assistance.

      • Flip

        You’re a real deep thknrei. Thanks for sharing.

  7. Denise


  8. ann

    I believe SS payments go only SS benefits not to any welfare etc programs.

    • Dragon

      That’s the peecfrt insight in a thread like this.

  9. Mohamed B.

    I live in Poland and I receive social security benefit and I still have US mailing address, can I have social security account although I currently do not reside in USA? Thanks for your superior services.

    • Kenny O.

      Hello Mohamed: Thank you for your kind words. The “mySocialSecurity” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. You will need a U.S. address to register for a mySocialSecurity account but do not need a U.S. address to file online for benefits or receive benefits. Since you are living outside of the U.S., you can also contact your local Embassy or Consulate at to find out information about your account or any claims that you may file online. Hope this helps!

  10. Vicki

    So does this mean we don’t have a choice to have our statements mailed to us anymore?

    • Kenny O.

      Hello Vicki, thank you for this question. We still mail Social Security Statements to workers attaining ages 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, and 60 and over, who aren’t receiving Social Security benefits and do not yet have a my Social Security account. We mail the Statements three months prior to your birthday. We issue Statements by mail in English (or in Spanish if you live in Puerto Rico). If you receive your Statement in English and would like to receive it in Spanish, or vice versa, call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213(TTY 1-800-325-0778), or visit your local Social Security office.

      • Arthur

        I did no receive mine two years ago when I was 40. But I was always receiving it in past every year to my current address. Why didn’t I receive it two years ago?

      • Pamela H.

        I am 61 and I did not receive a mailing before I turned 60. I was trying to go online but, the site is down.

Comments are closed.