Online Services

You Know Where to Find Us (Because We Make It Easy)

January 21, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

you know where to find usFor 80 years, Social Security has been there for you and your family when you need us most. And, finding us at our field offices, where you can speak with an employee face-to-face, is easier than ever!

Our handy Field Office Locator is accessible from your computer and mobile device. On the website, you can enter your zip code to find the address, phone number and hours of the Social Security office closest to you. You can also use this tool to see a map and get directions; if you’re on your mobile device, it will even give you turn-by-turn directions.

Since you are already online, you could skip the traffic and lines by taking advantage of our other online features, too. Check out What You Can Do Online, where you’ll find that many of our services are just a click away!

For example, you use the Retirement Estimator to estimate future benefits, apply for Social Security benefits online and sign up for a personal my Social Security account. Setting up a personal my Social Security account is convenient and secure. You’ll have access to your Social Security Statement, and if you already receive benefits, you can view and print your verification letter and manage your benefits.

Some people prefer doing business in person, though, and that’s why our offices are there! Our employees are passionate about providing you with the best service possible, and we’re proud of our long history of doing so. When you visit us, whether in person or online, we’re always ready to help!

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications


  1. Iqbal C.

    Sorry to say I also had the worst experience at my (previous) local SS office at Oak Street in Patrchaogue NY. I first tried to call your national 800 number and after waiting more than 20 miuntes and listening to the prerecorded tapes a couple of different days I went to the local office in patchogue. I got my ticket with calling number and there were about 40 people ahead of me. I waited for about two hours and my turn came. (well this 40 people and long wait was not SS Office fault) and now listen to this. When my number was called I went to the lady (at that one of the 8 windows), told her that I wanted info about rules and procedures in continuing the receive SS Benefits if I an American, moved to live overseas to stretch my dollar. She readily replied “you have to wait several more hours” No additional comment. Obviously unhappy I asked if I had to get another ticket # to be called again. She said “No number your name will be called”. This meant I would not be able to step out for a few minutes or even go to the rest room fearing I could miss the call to me by name and would not even know if I was or was not called during that brief absence from the room. The lady showed no respect to this concern of mine. I left that office (could not bear to sit there for several more hours waiting).
    I returned after about a week and faced a similar routine and same answers. I asked for relevant brochures that I could read (proper brochure was missing from their take out caddies) saying that may be I could handle the matter by mail. The lady responded they did have the brochure but in the back room and they were too busy to send some one back there to fetch me one. At that point I asked to see her supervisor. She retorted “I am the supervisor”. Frustrated I came back home and started written communications with the SSB main office in Baltimore (not to complain but find rules and procedures) They helped and advised competently and adequately and I was able to equip myself with the required information. I can never forget that arrogant and nasty behavior of those ladies in that office. Calling your national 800 number only finds simplistic phone attendants without proper knowledge and training. Of course your appreciably responsive Main office in Baltimore and my ability to do extensive written communications did the job to my satisfaction. For a while I thought of filing complaints for record but then decided against it since I already felt exhausted and also the experience with Baltimore office was pretty satisfactory.

    • John O.

      This should not happen to anyone. If a supervisor is rude ask to talk to the District or Branch Manager. If that does not work ask for the phone # of the Area Manager, then the Regional Manager. Stick to your guns. Oh, and don’t accept the 1-800 #.

  2. Cliff S.

    I have a Social Security benefit issue that requires a visit to my local SSA office. I have been told that visits to SSA offices are best made by appointment. After calling the toll-free national number (1-800-772-1213 – for some reason, local SSA branch office phone nembers are not available on the SSA website) and waiting over an hour on hold/muzak/info announcements, a customer service person picked up my call. I gave her my contact information & was told by that person to expect a call from my local office within 7 days. Well, it’s been over two weeks and no return call. I guess SSA really doesn’t want to do business over the phone and their diligence in returning phone calls for appointments is sadly wanting. Guess I’ll settle down with a cup of cofffee and a good book while I wait to call another SSA customer service rep for another run-around.

    • John O.

      Rather than sipping on coffee go into the local office without an appointment. Stay away from Mondays and Wednesdays and the noon hour.

  3. Judith T.

    Four years ago my online social security account was suspended due to fraud. This happened to several people in my state. To reactivate the account I’m told I have to appear in person at the Social Security office in my area. That office is almost 40 miles from where I live. I am disabled and have no way to get there. Is there an alternative way to reactivate the account?

    • John O.

      Yes, if you call them they can send a Field Representative to your house. What have you been doing for 4 years?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Judith, please call 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. Also, you can call your local Social Security office directly and explain your situation. Thanks!

  4. Billie W.

    When I die, what does my wife have to do to get my retirement pay?
    Thank you

    • John O.

      When she files at the local office or by phone for the lump sum death allowance they will also take a claim from her as a widow unless she’s on your record receiving as a wife, then she’s a conversion case. DO NOT think that the Funeral Home will do this for you, they only tell SS you are deceased to stop your check.

    • Ray F.

      Thank you for your question, Billie. Your wife could receive widow’s benefits as early as age 60 (50 if she is disabled under our rules). For more information on how to apply for survivors benefits, please visit this link.

  5. Toeur

    I have a guestion? I’m 66 year old if i’m died at age 70 .What age my wife can drawing my money.Thank You

    • John O.

      A widow can draw benefits as early as age 60 and if disabled maybe earlier.

    • Ray F.

      Hi. Your wife could be eligible to receive widow’s benefits as early as age 60 (50 if she is disabled under our rules).

  6. Enos

    I live in Texas, began benefits at the age of 67, had monthly benefits reduced significantly in 2015 due to a capital gain income by selling stock in 2013 to pay cash for a primary residence. I would like to have an understanding of how paid-in benefits can be taken away.

    • John O.

      Contact your local office. There may be a mistake. They might have thought you received wages and not capitol gains.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Enos. Generally, we suspend or reduce benefits to collect an overpayment. An overpayment occurs when Social Security pays you more than you should have been paid. Unfortunately, your question is a bit more complex than we can answer in this forum. For your security, we do not have access to information about your account in this venue. Please contact your local office or call 1-800-772-1213, M-F between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and ask a representative to assist you. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week.

  7. oerganix

    You need to tell the North Platte, NE office to GET AN ADDRESS! The building SSA is in HAS NO ADDRESS, so how the hell can anyone find it???? Is this office only for those who know how to find it despite the fact it has NO ADDRESS on the building???

  8. Senora P.

    I was supposed to get my full retirement at age 66, but was told it was deferred until I reach the age of 70. I think this is unfair. Your website says one thing and the employees do another. It stated that if you were born between 1943 and 1955 your full retirement age was 66. I retired in 2012 at age 65. I truly need some real reasons why I was denied this,

    • Josh

      sounds like confusion between you and the rep who assisted you. You can get full retirement at 66 (that is 100% of your retirement pension). File before then and you get a reduction. If you do the opposite you get what’s called delayed retirement credits, which allow you to get more than 100% of your benefit. If you wait until 70, you get the maximum delayed retirement credits. If you were asking SSA how to get your maximum benefit, age 70 is the answer. If you want 100% of your benefit, age 66 is the answer.
      Bottom line – the decision should be yours, and only yours.

      • Senora P.

        I was DENIED. Was told I had to wait

    • John O.

      Your full retirement age is age 66. If you draw any months prior to that your benefits are reduced by a % representing the months you were paid. The reductions are permanent. If you were working and missed receiving payment for some months there could be an adjustment at 66 called an ARF.

  9. Janet W.

    I am 63 yoa n drawing SS DISABILITY. Is it possible that I could draw more if I file on my deceased husband. I am also getting a disabled widows benefit n drawing a retirement check.

    • Josh

      contact your local office as every situation is different. Depends on how much you are currently receiving compared to how much you might be eligible for on your deceased husband’s record. SSA will guide you by reviewing all options and letting you choose what you feel is best at this time.

      • Janet W.

        Thank you. I will contact my local office n make an appointment.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Janet. It sounds like you are already receiving benefits under your deceased husband’s record as a disabled widow. For security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this forum. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 if you have questions about your current benefits.


    kindly clarify, including timing regarding filing, for




    • Josh

      using the SSA field office locator:
      your office is on the 5tf floor on 237 W 48th St, NY NY 10036. You can reach them at 1-800-772-1213, which is also the agency’s toll free number (they have no local number).
      You could collect on a spouse’s record as long as you do not qualify for a non-covered SS pension. Also, if you qualify for benefits on your husband’s record, it will not affect his own SS benefits.
      Contact your local office and they can advise you on amounts you qualify for and best time to file.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Victoria, thank you for reaching out to us. Even if you have never worked enough under Social Security, you may be able to get spouse’s retirement benefits if you are at least 62 years of age and your spouse is receiving retirement or disability benefits. Benefits paid to you as a spouse will not decrease your spouse’s retirement benefit.
      You can apply for spouse’s benefits online, if you are within 3 months of age 62 or older, or by calling our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Representatives are available Monday to Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Or visit your local Social Security office. An appointment is not required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.

Comments are closed.