Who to Contact: Social Security or Medicare?

" "Sometimes it’s confusing to know who to contact and for what. Social Security and Medicare offer related services, so people aren’t always certain who does what. This “cheat sheet” can help.

Contact Social Security to:

  • See if you’re eligible for Medicare;
  • Create a my Social Security account to do things like request a replacement Medicare card and report a change of address, name, or phone number;
  • Sign up for Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance);
  • Apply for Extra Help with Medicare prescription drug coverage (Part D) costs;
  • Report a death; and
  • Appeal an Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA) decision (for people who pay a higher Part B and/or Part D premium if their income is over a certain amount).

Find information on how to do all of this and more on Social Security’s Medicare website.

Contact Medicare to:

  • See what services Medicare covers;
  • Get detailed information about Medicare health and prescription drug plans in your area, including costs and services;
  • Choose and enroll in a Medicare health or prescription drug plan that meets your needs;
  • Find a Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) policy in your area;
  • Find doctors, health care providers, and suppliers who participate in Medicare;
  • Get information and forms for filing a Medicare appeal or for letting someone speak with Medicare on your behalf;
  • Compare the quality of care provided by plans, nursing homes, hospitals, home health agencies, and dialysis facilities; and
  • View Medicare publications.

Visit the Medicare website for more information on these services.

If you need to find out your claim status, find out deductibles, or get answers to premium payment questions, you can call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227; TTY: 1-877-486-2048).

Determining who to contact is the first step in getting the answers you need. Please share these lists with family and friends who need to know more about Social Security and Medicare.


298 thoughts on “Who to Contact: Social Security or Medicare?

  1. Love to see this kind of posts ! I would like to see them more often. DO post more with great informations like this one! Really appreciate your hard work. Thanks for sharing!concrete company

  2. I am retired and collecting my earned benefits, now I’d like to increase my federal tax deduction and need the proper form. Since our local office is closed, I called, waited one hour, and was eventually told I can get it here. How????

  3. If I have a question about the amount I have been paying for Medicare part B, do I contact Medicare or Social Security. Also, if I paid about $104 for Medicare when I turned 65 and signed first signed up for Medicare (including part B) on my SSA benefits, and then applied for survivor benefits, does this cause my Medicare premium to change to whatever the annual premium is at the time of the survivor benefit application? Also, if I later remarry, does my part B premium cost also change for the rate at that time, as my spouse was entitled to spousal benefits on my SSA account.

  4. I need all the information you can email on assisted living financial benefits for persons on SSD wanting to enter an assisted lining facility. I forms too?
    My SSN; *** – ** – ***
    my DOB; 03-18-1956
    yes I am a Veteran?

  5. If a new beneficiary has a telephone appointment set to apply for Medicare, but would like a family member or friend to be on the call, will the Social Security agent be able to conference call the family member? (The beneficiary is not proficient with cell phone or merging calls, and the family member is in a different location)
    Unusual question, so thank you in advance for your help.

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *