Medicare

Who to Contact: Social Security or Medicare?

February 28, 2019 • By

" "Sometimes it’s confusing to know who to contact and for what. Social Security and Medicare offer related services, so people aren’t always certain who does what. This “cheat sheet” can help.

Contact Social Security to:

• See if you’re eligible for Medicare;
  • Create a my Social Security account to do things like request a replacement Medicare card and report a change of address, name, or phone number;
  • Sign up for Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance);
  • Apply for Extra Help with Medicare prescription drug coverage (Part D) costs;
  • Report a death; and
  • Appeal an Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA) decision (for people who pay a higher Part B and/or Part D premium if their income is over a certain amount).

Find information on how to do all of this and more on Social Security’s Medicare website.

Contact Medicare to:

• See what services Medicare covers;
  • Get detailed information about Medicare health and prescription drug plans in your area, including costs and services;
  • Choose and enroll in a Medicare health or prescription drug plan that meets your needs;
  • Find a Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) policy in your area;
  • Find doctors, health care providers, and suppliers who participate in Medicare;
  • Get information and forms for filing a Medicare appeal or for letting someone speak with Medicare on your behalf;
  • Compare the quality of care provided by plans, nursing homes, hospitals, home health agencies, and dialysis facilities; and
  • View Medicare publications.

Visit the Medicare website for more information on these services.

If you need to find out your claim status, find out deductibles, or get answers to premium payment questions, you can call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227; TTY: 1-877-486-2048).

Determining who to contact is the first step in getting the answers you need. Please share these lists with family and friends who need to know more about Social Security and Medicare.

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Comments

1. Karen E Berntsen

We cannot seem to finish the on line application. There is a lock on our personal financial information. We don’t know what to do.

Hi Karen. We are sorry that you are having trouble creating a my Social Security account. To pass the verification process, we match the personal information you give us with the data we have in our records. Then, we use our Identity Services Provider to further verify your identity.

If you are locked out, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

2. Cesar Augusto Bravo

Necesito saber el status de mi aplicacion a medicare, se niżowej una entrevista telefonica, con oficina coconut creek de Florida el dia 22 de mayo a horas: 10:50 am, me llamo a mi cell 908-310-4366 el trabajador Juan Vegas y me hizo preguntas de mi vida personal y de trąbajo en USA . Aun no ha llegado a casa la tarjeta de medicare a mi nombre y necesito tener seguro medico de salud a partir Del 1 de junio 2020. Por favor, informarme que derechos medicos tengo, en caso de una emergencia

3. Cesar Augusto Bravo.. SS: ... 8598

4. David Colton

I am being charged both from my Social Security monthly benefit and also paying a separate Drug plan through Well Care Medicare Rx. Please have someone call me to correct this problem. My Social Security # *** – ** – ***.

Hi David, thank you for using our blog. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

5. Diane Goodnight

Where do I send my Medicare part B forms (CMS-R-297 )and (CMS 40B) to?

Hi Diane, thanks for using our blog. Please check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on enrolling in Medicare Part B. We hope this helps!

6. Kimiko Humphrey

my wife, Kimiko Humphrey has completed form for medicare replacement card. To what mail address should she send it to? We live in Antelope ca. Thanks for guidance and resonse. Jerry King Weston

Hi, Jerry. Good news! If your wife needs a replacement Medicare card or immediate proof that she has Medicare, she can take care of both online by setting up a personal my Social Security account. Hope this helps!

7. Vicki Dionne

I’m trying to contact, someone concerning a past due billing. Even though I know it’s not, could someone PLEASE give me the correct website? It’s happening EVERY MONTH , even though checks are mailed well in advance. Thanks

8. Clare Fritzen

who do i contact for billing matters, claim i did not pay 2019 “I did $439.20”! as my bank statement shows

Hi Clare, thanks for using our blog. Check out Medicare’s Online Bill Payment web page for details when premiums are not automatically deducted from Social Security benefits and contact information. We hope this helps!

9. Mari squire

I need help with medicare with fraud or scam

10. Dennis E. Moyer

I have gone back to work and need to discontinue medicare part B and D because I now have a health plan through work. I have had no luck with phone calls or other messages. What procedures do I need.