19 thoughts on “What Your Grandchild Can Teach You About Social Security

  1. Hello, I am currently on social security disability and my father that passed away on April 5th 2008 , was 100% disabled from injuries suffered on Iwojima in WW2. I’m wondering if I’m eligible for any benefits, for me being his son . My mother receives a check from the Veterans administration, but I’m wondering because I’m his son if that would make me eligible for any other benefits that I might be able to receive. I heard from my local social security administration that I could or might be eligible for any benefits. Thankyou

    • Hi, William. Thank you for your question. An adult who became disabled before age 22 may be able to receive Social Security benefits on a deceased parent’s record. To learn more, visit our Disability Planner web page and see the section, “Adults Disabled Before Age 22”. Keep in mind, that while is possible for a person to be eligible to more than one benefit at the same time, we can only pay the highest benefit amount from either record. To see if you qualify for a higher benefit than what you are currently receiving, you’ll need to contact your local office or you may call our toll free telephone number at 1-800-772-1213 and speak to one of our agents for further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. For questions related to benefits from the Veteran’s Administration, you will have to contact them directly. We hope this helps.

      • When you applied for disability that application covered any and all benefits, so the above suggestion is useless and a wild goose chase.

        • You are ridiculous AKA. It isn’t going to hurt for him to inquire with SSA. Having worked within SSA I can tell you that I discovered instances where we had failed to develop someone’s eligibility for all benefits and made that correction. He also needs to check with the VA for any benefits he may be eligible for. As you are NOT in a position to make his determination it is best you move on with your day AKA

    • Incorrect.

      He would have had to been found disabled under Social Security’s rules before the age of 22 years old. NOT 19 years old.

      William, if you see this, you should call the Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 and request an appointment to file to get Disabled Adult Child benefits off of your father.

      Only a claims representative can make a determination whether you can get benefits off of your father’s record or not.

      I suggest you file an application to find out.

      • You’re right Jeff! An adult disabled before age 22 may be eligible for child’s benefits if a parent is deceased or starts receiving retirement or disability benefits. We consider this a “child’s” benefit because it is paid on a parent’s Social Security earnings record. See “Benefits For A Disabled Child”.

  2. If I receive, each month, $1,300 from SS and $1,500 from my spouse’s pension, will I have to pay Federal tax? And if so, will I receive a refund from the tax? Thank you

    • Possibly.

      If you are single and your income is over $25,000 or if you are married and your income is over $32,000 you would have some tax liability that would need to be paid to the IRS.

      It sounds like you are saying you receive $1,300 from SS and $1,500 from your deceased spouse’s pension.

      That is a total of $2,800 per month times 12 months a year is $33,600.

      If you are, in fact, a widow, you fall under the single income of anything over $25,000 you would owe some taxes to the IRS.

      The IRS is the authority on all tax matters, your question should be directed to them.

      You can call the IRS and ask about specific situations at 1-800-829-1040.

    • Hello! Some people may have to pay federal income taxes on their Social Security benefits. This usually happens only if you have other substantial income(such as wages, self-employment, interest, dividends and other taxable income that must be reported on your tax return) . Your question is an income tax question, and you will need to contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040. We hope this information helps!

  3. Dear sir, we have respect and your social security number has been receive before four years of this where to value from Bangladesh. name social security only but was false information because American Embassy contact but that not my accepted .thank you for regards your faithfully bijoy kumar sarker.

  4. Hello, I wish for to subscribe for this webpage
    to get newest updates, thus where can i do it please
    help out.
    Manchester United Hemmadräkt

  5. I need an actual mailing address {not a PO Box} to send the proof of life form to you. I live in Panama and can not send it through regular mail and must send it via DHL or Fedex and they will not deliver to a Mail Box. Why is this
    so hard ? I would go to the Embassy in Panama City but they no longer deal with SS, as they moved it to Costa Rica.

    • Hello David. We recommend that individuals living outside the United States contact their nearest Federal Benefits Unit (FBU), for assistance related to their Social Security benefits. If you live in Panama, you can contact the FBU in Costa Rica by phone or email. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad. Thanks!

Leave a Reply to Real Madrid tröja Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *