What is FICA

March 20, 2017 • By

FICA taxes help provide benefits for retirees, disabled people and children. This contribution helps your parents and grandparents have a secure retirement while securing today and tomorrow for you and your future family. Learn more about FICA.

FICA information

Tags: , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author


Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment.

  1. Ethel white

    I need help in getting Social security to stop taking federal taxes out of my check. I call last year January 2018 and they want stop. Please help

    • Vonda VanTil, Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi Ethel, sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having with Social Security. To stop your withholding, you’ll need a Form W-4V from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You can download the form or call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-3676 and ask for Form W-4V. Sign the form and return it to your local Social Security office by mail or in person.


    I need to start withholding taxes from Social Security Check. I do I get it done. Thank you.

    • Ann Clifton, Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi, Robert. In order to have taxes withheld from your Social Security benefit, you must start by printing, completing and submitting an IRS Voluntary Withholding Request Form (Form W-4V). On this form, you can choose to have 7, 10, 12, or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld. The Form W-4V (to withhold federal taxes from your Social Security benefits) can be returned to your local Social Security office by mail or in person. See our Benefits Planner: Withholding Income Tax From Your Social Security Benefits web page for more information. We hope this helps.

  3. Herschel Amoako

    Hello, after reading this amazing article i am as well happy to share my familiarity here with mates!|

  4. Joel W Hooks

    A good overview. Is there an age limit where FICA taxes are not taken from the worker or their employer?

    • Luis A., Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi Joel. Thanks for your question. The Federal Insurance and Self-Employment Contribution Acts (FICA and SECA) require the withholding of taxes from wages of all employed people, and the net earnings of most self-employed people, for the Social Security and Medicare programs. Therefore, you will continue to pay taxes regardless of age. We hope this helps.

  5. bonnie sikes

    Advertise on Hi!
    Hope you are having a great day! I have come across your site, and I strongly feel that your website is a perfect match for us.
    We are trying to create awareness regarding our Amazon Books,Mobile app,Resume app,Entertainment site,Fashion store site and Easily accessible SEO tools & Services available to users worldwide. How about starting a collaboration and making a collective effort?
    You can help us by placing a piece of writing (Article/Link/Banner ads) on your website.
    The price is negotiable if you are interested.
    Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
    Thanks & Regards

  6. sis

    Also – read Helvering vs Davis. SS is unconstitutional but the Supremes decided otherwise.

  7. khemraj gopie

    when i retire at 63 and still working how much i am allowed to work for not to pay taxes

    • Vonda VanTil, Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi Khemraj. If you’re asking about Social Security retirement benefits, you may start receiving benefits as early as age 62 or as late as age 70. Monthly benefits are reduced if you start them any time before your “full retirement age”. Your full retirement age depends on your date of birth. It may be between age 66 and 67. This could affect the amount of your benefits and when you want the benefits to start.

      The Benefits Planner: Retirement provides detailed information about Social Security retirement benefits.

  8. Charlotte Young

    I would like to arrange to have a percentage of my Social Security payment pay my taxes during the year.

  9. John Majetich

    will I need to continue paying Fica if I quit work and am only drawing from my 401K until able to retire? And what percent if I do?

    • Vonda

      Hi John, thanks for using our blog. If you’re asking about paying Social Security taxes, there is no exemption for paying the Federal Insurance and Self-Employment Contribution Acts (FICA and SECA) payroll taxes that fund the Social Security and Medicare systems. As long as you work in a job that is covered by Social Security, FICA taxes will be withheld from your paycheck. The same goes if you remain actively self-employed.


Leave a Comment

Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment. For your safety, please do not post Personally Identifiable Information (such as your Social Security Number, address, phone number, email address, bank account number, or birthdate) on our blog.

Leave a Reply to Charlotte Young Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *