COVID-19, General

Update on Our Reentry Plans

December 22, 2021 • By

Last Updated: December 22, 2021

Social Security Administration LogoWe want to give you an update on our preparations for returning our employees to local Social Security offices, a process called reentry.

You may have seen a proposed reentry date of January 3, 2022 in the draft reentry plan that we provided to our unions, or in the media. While some executives reentered on December 1, we have not set a reentry date for the rest of the agency.

The best way to reach us is online at SSA.gov, or by calling our National 800 Number or a local Social Security office. At this time, please remember that we can only provide in-person service by appointment only for limited, critical issues. And we continue to hold voluntary hearings by online video and phone. We are taking steps to increase in-person help for people unable to complete their business online or by phone.

We will keep you updated on our reentry process.

Tags: ,

Darlynda Bogle, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Comments

1. Felix

Is office open for in person walk-in or appointment only or neither thanks in Odessa Texas

• Ann C.

Hi, Felix. Social Security offices are currently open only for in-person appointments for limited, critical situations. We are unable to accept walk-in visitors. If you feel you have a critical situation, please visit our Coronavirus page for more information and updates. We hope this helps.

2. John T.

Getting in touch with a human is impossible. Three times I call and put on hold until SS OFFICE hung up on me. Tried the local office here in Harrisburg, PA for an appointment and can’t talk to a human, only a recording how busy they are. I’M BUSY ALSO. WHAT IS MY NEXT MOVE?

• Ann C.

Hi, John. We are sorry to hear about your experience. You may be able to use our online services. To see what all you can do online, please visit our Online Services page. We hope this helps.

3. JOHN a.

BEEN TRYING TO SET UP AN APPOINTMENT FOR MEDICARE SIGNUP SINCE OCTOBER STILL NO CALLBACK OR APPOINTMENT.
    ONLINE APPLICATION WAS NOT ACCEPTED.

4. CG

Need to update your online services can’t get the information I need keeps telling me to download something.

5. Shane S.

Been Noticing every time I call the Corning NY office NO ONE answers been days and still no one ever picks up the phone

6. Patricia B.

Trying to get replacement medicare cards I never received in the place have multiple times told cards are in the mail but no cards as of yet.. Social Security has taken the money from my check since August 2021 I am sick as all get out but can’t go to the doctor.. Emergency rooms look at you like your dirt what is up with helping us get what we have worked for can’t understand why we are treated this way .

• Ann C.

Hi, Patricia. We are sorry to hear that. If you need a replacement Medicare card or immediate proof that you have Medicare, you can take care of both online by setting up a personal my Social Security account. We hope this helps.

7. Jessica

Getting in touch with a human is impossible. I have tried calling and nobody will answer the phone. I went to the local Security Office where I saw signs on how to contact the local office and schedule an appointment, yet they wont answer the phone to set up an appointment. I just need to set up an appointment and get my newborns Social Security Card.

• Ann C.

Hi, Jessica. We are sorry to hear about your experience. For more information about Social Security cards for newborns, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions. We hope this helps.

8. Shirley B.

I’ve been trying since July to change my address with you. I live permanently in the UK and have no US address. Now I also need to change the method of my benefit payment because theUS. account receiving your direct deposit had to be closed before the bank sold the account to a smaller bank that could not provide the international funds transfer service I need. I cannot access My Account to update because of my lack of US address and phone numbers. I have sent multiple letters and a FAX, but no reply. Have tried many international p[hone calls; today I waited 51 minutes on your 800 number to get help, but when a real human actually picked up, the call was dropped!!!!! I have already missed two monthly benefit payments. HELP!!!

• Ann C.

Hi, Shirley. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Since you are living outside of the U.S., please contact your local Federal Benefits Unit for any assistance related to Social Security benefits. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad. We hope this helps.

9. FuckyouSSI

I understand that it’s just common knowledge the social security office is slow, infuriating, and you only hire one person per million customers, but did you guys have to make the website just as terrible? I can’t log in, I’ve tried Login.gov, ID.me, and made a dozen new accounts and NOT A SINGLE ONE can log in, I just keep getting sent back to the Terms of Services page.

I applied back in August, and have not been able to use this damn website even one single time.

10. Teresa T.

so sick of getting the runaround about where my ORIGINAL marriage license and drivers license are. no one seems to know where my documents are. i keep getting told that im going to get a call back and no one calls me back. i just want my stuff back. it has been over a month. this is ridiculous

• Ann C.

Hi, Teresa. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Please continue to work with your local office. You can ask to speak to a manager on your next call. You can also submit feedback by visiting our Contact Social Security page. Once there, select the “Email Us” link. This will take you to the “Email A Question to our Support Team” form where you can complete and submit a compliment, complaint, or suggestion. We hope this helps.