Traveling? You Can Still Access Social Security Online Resources

June 27, 2019 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

" "Summer is officially here and you might be planning a vacation or trip. Social Security is here for you when you’re traveling, whether it’s just a state away or when you’re overseas.

Our Online Services page directs you to a wide variety of useful links. Through our online services, you can:

  • Apply for Social Security benefits.
  • Get your Social Security Statement.
  • Request a replacement Social Security card.
  • Appeal a decision.
  • Find out if you qualify for benefits.

Some of these features require you to have a personal my Social Security account, which is something everyone should have no matter what stage they are at in their working life.

And if you receive Social Security benefits or Medicare, you can create or log in to your personal my Social Security account to:

Create a personal my Social Security account today to take advantage of these easy-to-use features. Also, share our online services page with friends and family, who might not know how easy and secure our website is.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner


  1. Vladyslav

    Thanks for sending this text .

  2. Andrei

  3. Thomas M.

    Dear Sirs,
    I have retired in Thailand. I tried your link above to SSA and it is BLOCKED. Please advise how to contact SSA by internet when the site is BLOCKED from the USA.
    Thank you,
    Thomas McSweeney

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Thomas. Thanks for your question. At this time you must have a U. S. mailing address to create or to access a personal my Social Security account. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet. Please contact your local Federal Benefits Unit for any assistance related to your Social Security benefits. Also, our Office of International Operations (OIO) home page more information to assist our customers living abroad. We hope this information helps!

  4. Adna O.

    How do I get A 1000 dollar loan from social security that I don’t have to pay back?

  5. E

    How does this work overseas with the login requirement of confirmation code via US cell phone #? Please advise! Thank you.

  6. Robert H.

    How can I change my permanent mailing address?

  7. Mario F.

    I have been traveling to Central America for the last six months unfortunately I forgot my password. I have tried many times to reset it but it has been impossible. I have called your office but nobody seems to be able to help me.
    I would like to be able to reset it in order to keep myself inform through your website. Please help me it is very important. Thank you

    • Melinda A.

      There should be a email you had to put down first when you sign up. Try through their

  8. Kathleen V.

    Thanks for sending this text . I have just moved and will be sending you my new address and new bank information

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Kathleen. If you are receiving Social Security retirement or disability, you can create a personal my Social Security account to change your address online. If you are receiving Supplemental Security Income, you should contact your local office immediately. We hope this helps.

  9. RosAnn B.

    Yes but you to have internet access where you are. Thank you 😀

  10. ilda M.

    Pittsburg California….Two workers worrying about Lobby TV, should be helping with persons needing help, checked in at 10:59 am , was told it will be a 2hour wait !!! This is ridiculous so I left. Just to get a question answered with Regards to traveling.?

    • John

      Those 2 workers may not have been able to help you if they were not service representatives or claims representatives. Maybe you could have posted your question here. General questions are always welcome.

Comments are closed.