Guest Bloggers, People Facing Barriers, SSI

The Affordable Connectivity Program Can Help SSI Recipients Get Internet Access

March 24, 2022 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: May 25, 2022

Internet access is now necessary for work, school, healthcare, and more. However, for many households, it remains unaffordable. The Federal Communications Commission wants everyone to access reasonably priced internet services. We recently launched a new program to reduce the cost of getting online.

The Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) provides a discount of up to:

• $30 per month toward internet service for eligible households.
  • $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands.

Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 toward purchasing a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers. To qualify for this one-time discount, households must contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price.

You can learn more about applying for ACP – and see if you’re eligible for the discounts – on the ACP website.

Any household with an individual who receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is eligible to receive discounted internet service through the ACP. Social Security doesn’t count ACP assistance as income or a resource for SSI purposes. Receipt of this assistance will not affect your SSI payment. You may also be eligible, if your household participates in other assistance programs, such as:

• Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
  • Medicaid.
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance.
  • Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC).
  • Lifeline.

If you don’t receive SSI or participate in another qualifying assistance program, you may also be eligible if your household income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.

There are additional ways to qualify. Go to our Affordable Connectivity Program page to learn more and apply. If you have questions, you’ll find a consumer FAQ that can help, along with a list of participating internet service providers sorted by state.

Cost shouldn’t be a barrier to getting online. Being connected can help you find job opportunities and access telehealth services, saving you time and transportation costs. And with affordable internet services, students no longer need to rely on public Wi-Fi hotspots to do their homework or for distance learning.

As of February 2022, more than 10 million households have already enrolled in the ACP program. That’s an exciting threshold, but we know many more eligible households that are not yet enrolled. Please help us spread the word about ACP with your families, friends, neighbors, and co-workers.

For more information about the program, please email ACPinfo@fcc.gov or call 877-384-2575.

The ACP helps close the digital divide.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

1. Mary E.

How can I get a laptop ?

2. Richard P.

How can I get a lab top?

• Samuel E.

I am on SSI, I am also on SSA for a total of $1050 per months. I have the discount internet service from AT&T for $5 a month. However I really can use a Laptop. Please let me know how I can get thru the program. e-mail samearlbrooks@gmail.com or text me at 562-509-4706. Samuel Earl Brooks. I am retired.

• ATL

My Income $890 and att charge me $10 for internet per month

• Samuel E.

How I get the Laptop, I already have the ACP internet service

3. Bonnie

This was a blessing to receive. But then spectrum raises your costs because they don’t want to lose that money that they are charging us and will not help anyone out because they can’t line their pockets if they do.
    So the only break we get now is $17.00, because they make sure they are gonna get their money. So instead of $30, we only get $17.
    The government should do something about the price gouging that SPECTRUM does to us.
    But I do appreciate the $17 break off of THE $80.00 SPECTRUM charges for
    INTERNET. Even though Spectrum doesn’t want us to get any breaks

4. Rosie S.

I would like to know more about the $100 towards a laptop or a home computer I don’t have either an my tablet is broke.

5. Girish P.

I would prefer ,love free internet service at home

6. Carl H.

Help with the Internet service would be a blessing

7. Nicole M.

I would like to sign up for the program for the laptop

• mario s.

I will need internet and an laptop I live in an Shelter for more of 8 years I have Medicaid ,Snap and I recieve SSI I will wants to have a Federal Public Housing Assistance also I have Lifeline

• mario s.

I will need an Laptop for do shopping online and receive e.mail for my clinic

• Lisa G.

Like get laptop

• Angela L.

I would like to signup for Laptop also

• Marshell P.

I can I get a lab top

• Latrecia

I live in a rural area. My current internet provider is not listed. What can be done to assist me.

8. Ebony A.

I would like free internet access in my home.

• Latrice L.

I would love free internet service

• Romona j.

I would like to sign up for the program and receive a laptop

• Lisa K.

I love free internet at home

9. Ann M.

I would like to have internet access at my house

10. Shameka

How do you apply? I don’t see that information or anyone else’s questions being answered.

• Robin l.

There is a phone number in the article for ACP as well as a link where it says “Go to our affordable connectivity program page to learn more and apply.” The words highlighted in blue are a link, click on them and it will take you to the ACP website where you can apply. You can also contact your local service provider for further information and to apply as well. I hope this information helps you.