Disability, Online Services, SSI

Supplemental Security Income applications now online

April 17, 2017 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: March 17, 2021

woman sitting on a laptopWe’re always looking for ways to provide you with innovative, quality services, and with our newest online enhancement, we’re proud to be doing just that. Now, if you meet certain requirements, you can file Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and disability applications online at the same time.

You can apply online if you:

  • Are between the ages of 18 and 65.
  • Have never been married.
  • Are a U.S. citizen residing in one of the fifty states, District of Columbia, or the Northern Mariana Islands.
  • Haven’t applied for or received disability or SSI benefits in the past.

If you started another application online before April 1, but haven’t submitted it, you can take advantage of this new service option and submit a disability and SSI application together.

With this update, we are expanding service to customers with limited English proficiency by allowing them to request an appointment online for an in-person claim or teleclaim in the language of their choice.  As we provide this new service in many languages, including Spanish, we are discontinuing the separate Spanish language iClaim option.  Applicants who started and saved an iClaim in Spanish can still enter the portal and complete it for up to six months after the claim start date.

With disability, and now SSI, benefit applications online, we’re providing easier and more convenient services to support you through life’s journey.

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Deborah S.

    Is it necessary to open a “My Account” before filing for SSI (or DIB) online?

    • Ray F.

      Hello Deborah. You can use the online application to apply for disability benefits if you:
      •Are age 18 or older;
      •Are not currently receiving benefits on your own Social Security record;
      •Are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death; and
      •Have not been denied disability benefits in the last 60 days. If your application was recently denied, our Internet Appeal application is a starting point to request a review of the determination we made.
      You can now also file for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) online but only if you meet certain requirements. Click here now for more information. Thanks!



    • Vonda V.

      Hi Lucille: For you wife to qualify for spouse’s benefits on your husband’s record, he must be receiving retirement or disability benefits. Also, if you are receiving Social Security benefits on your own record, we pay that amount first. But, if you also qualify for a higher amount on your husband’s record as a spouse, you may be able to get a combination of benefits that equals that higher amount.

      Visit our Retirement Planner: Benefits For You As A Spouse for more information.

  3. Mike Z.

    Can I apply for SSI benefits online for my son who is visually impaired (not totally blind)

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Mike, thanks for the question. We welcome those who wish to help another person apply for disability, retirement, spouse’s, or Medicare benefits. It may be a friend, relative, attorney, paralegal, employer, or member of an advocacy group or organization. When you fill out the application, we may ask for information about you (the form completer), your relationship to the person you are applying for and, if applicable, the organization you work for. If the person you are helping is, or will be immediately available to sign the completed application on his or her own behalf, please answer the questions as that person would answer them. Whenever we say “you” or “your” in the application, we are referring to the person you are helping to apply.

      Check out our Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Benefits web page for additional information and how to apply.

  4. Kathleen c.

    I’m trying to find application for supplementary ss i benifits

    • Ray F.

      Hello Kathleen. In addition to the Federal supplemental security income (SSI) payment, some States may provide additional benefits to their own recipients in recognition of the variations in living costs from one State to another and for the special needs of some individuals. The additional payment is known as “State Supplementation Payments”.
      States make monthly payments directly to recipients, and payments are included with the SSI benefits each month.
      Please call our toll free number for further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

  5. angie B.

    what if im legally separated for the last 16 years

  6. Michael P.

    I am tring to apply for S.S.I

    • Ray F.

      Hello Michael, you can now file for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) online but only if you meet certain requirements. You can also schedule an appointment with a local Social Security office to file an application. Call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday for assistance.

  7. Rashida J.

    Furthermore, i believe that mesothelioma is a uncommon form of cancer that is typically found in those people previously exposed to asbestos. Cancerous tissues form inside mesothelium, which is a shielding lining which covers almost all of the body’s body organs. These cells typically form from the lining from the lungs, abdomen, or the sac that really encircles the heart. Thanks for expressing your ideas.

  8. 4774151114

    Yo pido respuesta a la petición que le ise a la señora Carolyn w Colvin sobre la Reconsideración que pido para que me sigan mandando mi ayuda de la pensión que recibía mes con mes y ya son 5 meses que no me an mandado nada les pido se apiaden de este anciano que estos 5 meses que no me an mandado mi pensión la e pasado muy mal economicamente estoy desesperado ya no ayo que aser pedí también un préstamo y les notifico que si se apiadan de este anciano desesperado que días me la pasó sin probar alimentos isieras el depósito directo al banco donde yo recibía mes con mes mi pensión les ruego de la manera más atenta me conteste por favor necesito mucho la ayuda si ya me depositaron agamelo saber se lo pide un anciano desesperado por tener sus alimentos ATT.Laudino López Bonilla

    • Ray F.

      For information in Spanish, please visit us at http://www.segurosocial.gov or http://www.facebook.com/segurosocial.
      For Social Security information in other languages, please visit us at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/multilanguage.
      Unfortunately, but for security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Please continue working with your local office. You can request to speak with the manager to see how we can help to expedite resolution of your situation. If you are unable to visit the local office, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

  9. james k.

    I am 70 years living on social security and have to work (part time) to make ends meet but I have a problem with my arms or tendons and keep ending up at the VA. can I get supplemental social security?

  10. Gladys D.

    Hello, I want to know at age 71 if I am receiving SSI benefits and my husband is also receiving SSI and a Pension am I eligible for an increase in my SSI?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Gladys! Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot answer your question at this time. One of our representatives should be able to provide you with specific information. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks.

Comments are closed.