Disability, Online Services, SSI

Supplemental Security Income applications now online

April 17, 2017 • By

Last Updated: March 17, 2021

woman sitting on a laptopWe’re always looking for ways to provide you with innovative, quality services, and with our newest online enhancement, we’re proud to be doing just that. Now, if you meet certain requirements, you can file Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and disability applications online at the same time.

You can apply online if you:

  • Are between the ages of 18 and 65.
  • Have never been married.
  • Are a U.S. citizen residing in one of the fifty states, District of Columbia, or the Northern Mariana Islands.
  • Haven’t applied for or received disability or SSI benefits in the past.

If you started another application online before April 1, but haven’t submitted it, you can take advantage of this new service option and submit a disability and SSI application together.

With this update, we are expanding service to customers with limited English proficiency by allowing them to request an appointment online for an in-person claim or teleclaim in the language of their choice.  As we provide this new service in many languages, including Spanish, we are discontinuing the separate Spanish language iClaim option.  Applicants who started and saved an iClaim in Spanish can still enter the portal and complete it for up to six months after the claim start date.

With disability, and now SSI, benefit applications online, we’re providing easier and more convenient services to support you through life’s journey.

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Teresita M.

    When I became 65 years of age in 2007, I did not know the SS rules here in USA. I came to USA through marriage. I am a Filipino by birth. I lived with my husband for 16 years. He died on October 20, 2016. I never worked since I arrived US, because my husband did not allow me to find a job. He did not allow me also to learn driving. So I have no access also to go to work. In 2007 I turned 65 already, suppose to be I should have received my SSI benefits, but I did not know about it. Could I apply it now to have a retroactive benefits even just since 2007 until when my husband died in October 2016? Am I qualified of it? Please reply and let me know about this matter. I will appreciate your kind favors.

  2. Teresita M.

    I am so naive about SS rules. I am Filipino by birth. I got married to a US Citizen in October 1999 in the Philippines. My husband petitioned me to come the US and after a year in October 2000 I was able to enter USA. My husband only took me to SS office to get my SS number. He never told me about SS rules nor he showed to me what he received from SS. Just when he died in October 20, 2016. I scanned his piles of papers Which his sons where also aspiring to grab all his belongings, so I was in a hurry to get all the pertinent papers which I did not know if I got the right papers I needed before his sons came to stop me from taking their father’s belongings. I went to the Register of Wills, because my husband did not leave me nor to his sons a WILL which one should I take and also to be given to his sons. So the Register of Wills has given me all the things my husband bought when I was with him and one half of his things he had before I came. After I got my share I left the house, although I was allowed to stay in the house but I decided to move out. I went to the SS office to get a waver of my husband’s SS to transfer it to me. Then the SS start to send me Guidelines of the SS but I did not know what to do because in 2016 I was already 74. That’s the time I read from the SS Guide that when you reach 65 you should enroll in the SS and Medicare. But I did not know what to do. When I was 65 of age , suppose to be I should receive SSI. But my husband did not apply me to get it. That was in October 2007. My husband did not allow me to find a job because he just want me to help him taking care of his animals in the farm. To avoid argument I just agreed to his decision for he is the one buying everything we need. He did not give me a cellphone. He cut off also the landline telephone. I was used to survive alone. So I did not complain or ask about life here in the US. But I was observing him everyday. He did not want me to learn driving. Only he taught me how to drive our lawn tractor mower. To help him mowing the big yard around his house. I stayed with him for 16 years. We went to Church every Saturday. And we peacefully co- exist with each other until one day suddenly he got stroke and that was it.

  3. LoriAnn D.

    is supplemental security benefits the same as social security benefits?

  4. l

    can you apply online for ssi if you are over 65?

    • Ray F.

      Thanks for your question. You can now file for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) online but only if you meet certain requirements. You are eligible to file online for SSI if you are between the ages of 18 and 65.
      To apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you will need to complete the application at the local office. Please call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday to have one of our representatives schedule an appointment. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. We hope this helps!

  5. Frustrated!

    I am having an extremely hard time find the SSI on line application. Have found numerous links to all information regarding SSI, the hard copy application that you can print and complete, but not the actual on line version. Can you please help?

    • Ray F.

      We are sorry to hear you’re having difficulties. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 and ask one of our agents to assist you. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

  6. grizel

    I was receiving SSI benefits ( w/ a designated payee )due to my mental disorder. I was disqualified due to medical and/or personal information that was not verified by my payee. I have two (2) questions: 1. am I able to reapply? and 2. I am a victim of Identity Fraud and did not find out until I was informed that I was going to be penalized for income reported on a tax return. I reported this fraud to the FTC but my monthly benefit was still being deducted. Can those deductions be issued/reissued?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Grizel, to see if you’re still eligible and to apply for SSI benefits, call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Or contact your local Social Security office directly. Thanks!

  7. Donna B.

    What happens when you are on SSI and turn 65 yrs old ? Someone I know has this issue and wondering do I take him into the social security office for assistance.

  8. Millie

    Will i receive as reply through private email?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Millie, we do not have access to personal information in this venue, therefore, we do not do direct messaging in this venue.

  9. Millie

    Need some help please.

    Income is low, hardly getting by. Need help for me health insurance premium and food.
    Was disabled before and received disability benefit. An additional from Ex-spouse Benifit.

    Is there any help at all that I am eligible to apply for? Thank you.

    How do I know if you reply to my inquiriyy
    Will it be answered through my email?
    Thank you.

    Where do I start.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Millie. We do not have access to personal information, therefore, we do not do direct messaging in this venue. You may want to check and see if you are eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include Medicaid, which may help pay for medication that Medicare does not cover. You can get information about services in your area from your local social services office. Or you can visit the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) web page for more information. We hope this helps.
      Just a reminder – please be cautious about posting personal information on social media and communicating personal information via email. Thanks!

  10. sahadeo N.

    i cannot get into my ssa account..all i get is …BAD REQUEST….

    • Ray F.

      If you are having difficulties with your personal my Social Security account, please call 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. After you hear “Briefly tell me why you are calling,” say “Help Desk” for help with a my Social Security account. Sometimes, it might be best to visit your local Social Security office for further assistance. Thanks.

Comments are closed.