Disability, Online Services

Supplemental Security Income applications now online

April 17, 2017 • By

woman sitting on a laptopWe’re always looking for ways to provide you with innovative, quality services, and with our newest online enhancement, we’re proud to be doing just that. Now, if you meet certain requirements, you can file Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and disability applications online at the same time.

You can apply online if you:

• Are between the ages of 18 and 65.
  • Have never been married.
  • Are a U.S. citizen residing in one of the fifty states, District of Columbia, or the Northern Mariana Islands.
  • Haven’t applied for or received disability or SSI benefits in the past.

If you started another application online before April 1, but haven’t submitted it, you can take advantage of this new service option and submit a disability and SSI application together.

With this update, we are expanding service to customers with limited English proficiency by allowing them to request an appointment online for an in-person claim or teleclaim in the language of their choice.  As we provide this new service in many languages, including Spanish, we are discontinuing the separate Spanish language iClaim option.  Applicants who started and saved an iClaim in Spanish can still enter the portal and complete it for up to six months after the claim start date.

With disability, and now SSI, benefit applications online, we’re providing easier and more convenient services to support you through life’s journey.

Tags: , , ,

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Comments

1. Josie Reyes

how can I get an application to apply for SSI beneftis?

• Ann Clifton, Public Affairs Specialist

Hi, Josie. You can now file for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) online but only if you meet certain requirements. You can also schedule an appointment with a local Social Security office to file an application. Call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday or contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

2. Lisa Bruce

I was wondering what the typical SSI pay for one adult in the state of Florida

3. Elson Ayoub

my name is Alson Ayoub *** – ** – ***, i’m over 70 yrs and still working, if i stop working i wont be able to may my bill, my mortgage is $1288 a month, plus my bills, social security is about $1300 plus $230 dollars from Exxon total of $1530 a month, im not feeling well and if i stop working can SSI help me with a supplement and how do i apply. thank you for all you do for us.

4. Don N Talgaswatte

I don’t have any income. At the movement i am living with a family. They gave a room.

5. Brenda m murphy

what do S.S.I. mean?

• Ann Clifton, Public Affairs Specialist

Hi, Brenda. The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program is a needs-based program that pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources. SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities, who meet the financial limits. For more information, visit here. Thanks!

6. Russell McKinley

I already receive ssdi for being double amputee . Is there anyway to increase my benefit?

7. Glenn T. Allen

If I take early retirement can I still work part time and if yes How much can I make before it bothers my retirement?

Hi, Glenn. Thanks for your question. If you are receiving retirement benefits, check out how work affects Social Security payments here. You can also find information on our Benefits Planner: Getting Benefits While Working web page. We hope this helps.

8. Mary Lee White

I AM TRYING TO SIGN UP FOR SSI

Thanks for your comment, Mary. The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program is a needs-based program that pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources. SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities, who meet the financial limits. For more information and to begin the application process, visit our Supplemental Security Income (SSI) web page. We hope this helps.

9. joe saldivar

I HAVE ATTEMPTING TO COMPLETE THE REAUIRED FORMS ONLINE FOR SUPPLEMENTAL SSI. THE FORMS ARE SSA-8000-BK AND SSA-3368.

MY NAME IS JOE SALDIVAR MY CELL 760-338-5816

• Luis A., Public Affairs Specialist

Hi Joe. If you need assistance completing the forms, contact your local Social Security office and ask a representative to help you. Please work with your local Social Security office and submit all requested information. We hope this helps.

10. Ruth Reynolds

I
    I am 70 71 on 25th cannot get to Elkhart without a cab cannot afford can I apply over the phone am on permanent disability retirement from government interest in ssi

Hi, Ruth. We are sorry to hear about your condition. We pay disability benefits to people under their full retirement age who are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last one year or more or end in death. Once people reach full retirement age, we pay them their retirement benefits. We hope this helps.