Spruce Up Your Financial Plan with Social Security

Financial Plan with Social SecurityNow that tax season is over, it’s probably a good time to evaluate some financial “best practices” for the rest of the year. A good spring-cleaning can clear out the clutter to let you see a clear path for your future. Social Security is always here to help. Even if you just started working, now is the time to start preparing for retirement. Achieving the dream of a secure, comfortable retirement is much easier with a strong financial plan.

Tip 1: Start Early

Our online retirement planning resources are helpful to people at any stage of their career. Our many calculators, Benefit Eligibility Screening Tool, and disability resources are all available on our benefit planners website. From here, you can read and download publications and also email and share with colleagues, friends, and family. Remember, the earlier you start, the better chance you have at saving what you need.

Tip 2: Be Informed

We’re often asked, “What’s the best age to start receiving retirement benefits?” The answer is that there’s no single “best age” for everyone and, ultimately, it’s your choice. The most important thing is to make an informed decision, based on your individual and family circumstances.  To help you make that decision, see our retirement publications.

Tip 3: Estimate the Benefits You Might Get

Knowing the amount of money you could get is pivotal in planning your finances.  With the Retirement Estimator, you can plug in some basic information to get an instant, personalized estimate of your future benefits. Try out different scenarios, such as higher or lower future earnings amounts and various retirement dates to see the various potential effects on your future benefit amounts.

Social Security can help you spring into action and take control of your future with the proper planning tools. Share these online resources with friends and family so they, too, will have the tools.


20 thoughts on “Spruce Up Your Financial Plan with Social Security

  1. Can I check to see if anyone else change my address. I got a funny feeling that someone else is changing my address.

    • Hi Robert. If someone is changing your address with Social Security, you need to contact Social Security right away by calling our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. You can check your address and change it online in your my Social Security account.

      You can choose to block electronic access to your Social Security record. When you do this, no one, including you, will be able to see or change your personal information on the Internet or through our automated telephone service. If you block access to your record and then change your mind in the future, you can contact Social Security and ask us to unblock it.

  2. Halow,und goud morning,

    Thank you, Assurance American for helping to me make my way into the Us.Can’t wait to story my new life!!!!
    Djamel Karoual Christian, Algeria
    N° gagnant: ID-GRN111#4500DV#

  3. My retirement benefits were suspended last February because I did not received my SSA Form 7162. I filled up and sent my form last February 22, through the FBU US Embassy Manila who are not much helpful because up to now April 19, my benefits are still suspended. Every time I request for follow-up only automated reply to wait for five days is what I get on my email. Can somebody help me to restore my retirement benefits? I need to buy my monthly supply of maintenance medicine and pay my rent. The last four digits of my SSN are xxx-xx- 8574. Thank you very much.

  4. someone needs to pressure the federal government to not tax our retirement benefits..most of us worked and paid taxes for over 40 years

  5. I agree that SSI and DI should not be taxed. It’s hard enough to survive with what we get. How do we go about changing that Law? Is there a group of Lawyers willing to take on the Government? What do you think?

  6. Hello I live with my elderly mother 92 years of age of legal resident status since August 2006. I am 62 1/2 years old and work in retail full time. I was wondering if there is a program to assist financially for her care. I have read that to get the SSI she would have had to be a legal resident since 1996? I thought about an early retirement but the financial reduction would take a toll in my income as it would be around $1500.00
    Thank you for any advice.

    Best regards.

  7. When you retire and you don’t have enough credits, what happen to all the money you put in to social security and medicare?

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *