Online Services

Social Security’s Many Online Services

May 27, 2021 • By

Last Updated: July 20, 2021

younger woman teaching older woman on laptop (for post)There’s probably been a time in your life when you’ve wondered, “Can I do this online instead of visiting a Social Security office?” The answer is more than likely yes, and you can find more information about our online services on our website. Online, you can apply for retirement and disability benefits, appeal a decision, and do much more.

We’ve organized our Online Services webpage into four popular categories for easy navigation:

  • Review Your Information. You can access your secure, personal information and earnings history to make sure everything is correct.
  • Apply for Benefits. You can apply for retirement, disability, and Medicare benefits without having to visit a local Social Security office.
  • Manage Your Account. You can change your direct deposit information and your address, if you are receiving benefits, online.
  • Find Help and Answers. You can find answers to your most frequently asked questions, as well as links to publications and other informational websites.

You can also access personalized information with your personal my Social Security account. This is a useful resource even if you are not receiving benefits. You can:

  • Request a replacement Social Security number or Medicare card.
  • Get personalized retirement benefit estimates.
  • Get estimates for spouse’s benefits.
  • Print proof that you do not receive benefits.
  • Check your application or appeal status.
  • Read your Social Security Statement.

If you are receiving benefits, you can:

  • Request a replacement Social Security number or Medicare card.
  • Set up or change direct deposit.
  • Print a Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) form.
  • Opt out of mailed notices for those available online.
  • Print a benefit verification letter.
  • Change your address.

Please let your family and friends know they can do much of their business with us online.

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner


Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment.

  1. Tara

    I’ve needed to change my name for a year now, but with the offices closed I haven’t been able to easily do so. It’s my understanding that I’m order to change my name I have to mail my original documents (birth certificate, etc) to SSA with my application? Is that the only way? It seems irresponsible to place my most important legal documents in the mail. Please advise.

    • Rena

      I have been facing the same problem!! If the Government insists we are doing so much better with vaccines and insisting kids are ok for in person school WHY haven’t the Govt offices such as the SSA offices opened back up for full services???? I did JUST find this article online. But, can’t find this info on the SSA.Gov site…

    • Vonda

      Hi Tara, thank you for reaching out. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page on how to change your name. All submitted documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

      Our Social Security and Coronavirus web page, under “Getting Help from Social Security heading”, provides details on the documents you need to mail in with your Social Security card application to get a replacement card with your new name. We temporarily expanded our policy to accept secondary identity documents. We hope this helps!

  2. Maria Aguirre

    I need a social security card for myself and my 14 old ca n you get it

    • Vonda

      Hi Maria, thank you for using our blog. We are temporarily allowing people to mail in an original or certified secondary identity document with their paper Social Security Number application (SS-5) if they cannot request a replacement SSN card online, or if they are unwilling or unable to mail the primary identity document. Check out our Social Security and Coronavirus web page, under the Social Security Numbers and Cards heading, for a listing of secondary documentation that you can provide to get a replacement card.

      Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for information on how to replace a Social Security card for a child. To learn more on the process and what documents you and your child will need to get a card, please visit our Learn what documents you will need to get a Social Security Card web page. Use our Social Security Office Locator to find your local office address.

  3. Gary Horcher

    I applied for DDS October 2020 and my DDS claim is still with the medical reviewer. The website says that it will take 196 for a determination.

    I ended up relocating and have been unable to reach anyone at the orgin office in Michigan, since April 2021. Is there a way to change my address online through my account, as my claim is still pending and I am not recieving benefits?

    • Vonda

      Thanks for using our blog, Gary. You need to contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

  4. Wayne M.

    Can I get a form (SSA-4926) through SSA website?

    • Vonda

      Hi Wayne, thanks for reading our blog and for your question. You can securely view and save the Social Security COLA notice online via the Message Center inside your my Social Security account . If you don’t have an account, create one today. We hope this helps!

  5. Terry R

    I was on SSI wasn’t making enough to get a place to live could get section 8 it’s closed and so is the waiting list. I had to go back to work part time so I could get a place I guess I made to .much cause they took way my SSI now I still don’t make enough to get a place I wish that government in charge of thing would have to live on what they expect seniors to live off of.

  6. Leon

    Great website. Well organized layout

  7. hizkiaalbertus

    when you want to play slot gambling, play at gacor77 because there are many slot machines with various providers that are gacor and benefit the players.

  8. salman

    thanks for the wonderful information. you divide into categories is the best to pattern to get a result.Check LESCO Bill Online

  9. Jared A.

    I’m currently doing online surveys to help supplement my SSI & SSDI income. Would I have to report that income monthly if it ever goes above a certain amount in a given month? I have a representative payee. Who would be responsible for reporting that income, me or my representative payee, which is my Mom?

    • David Nelson Young

      Where do you find these online services to provide income for you

    • Vonda

      Hi Jared, thanks for using our blog. Your mother, as your representative payee, needs to report when you start or stop working as well as your income from wages. There are several automated or electronic options for your mother to use to report your wages. If your mother has a my Social Security account, she can conduct Social Security business for herself or for you, including reporting your wages, in the Representative Payee Portal. Your mother can also report wages by using the SSI Telephone Wage Reporting Services, the free SSI Mobile Wage Reporting Smartphone app or by calling, faxing or mailing your pay stubs to the local office. In addition, please visit the Ticket to Work page for information about a free and voluntary program that helps people receiving disability benefits to work. We hope you find this information helpful!

  10. Marguerite Huff

    What can I do to mke sure my daughters stimulis does not go to my sons account again

    • Vonda

      Hi Marguerite, thank you for using our blog. The IRS, not Social Security, sends all economic impact payments. Unfortunately, our telephone representatives and social media team cannot answer your specific situation about payments. You can find the latest information available from the IRS website. If you don’t see the answer to your question, you can call the IRS’ payment hotline at 1-800-919-9835. Thanks!


Leave a Comment

Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment. For your safety, please do not post Personally Identifiable Information (such as your Social Security Number, address, phone number, email address, bank account number, or birthdate) on our blog.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *